Has anyone replaced the 6L80 Torque Converter with the 6L90

On 1/15/2020 at 3:48 AM, AdioSS said:

I’ve been wondering how this would work. Did you get it back together? Any updates?

On 1/18/2020 at 6:25 PM, RACERX7775 said:

Yeah. No posts to update us.. just checked, that only costs about $250 ish. Compared to circle d at $900. 

I'll have an update for you all soon. I had to put this on the back burner for awhile because we started up a company and COVID hit NJ pretty bad. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that. 

Years & years ago when the 4L60E was pretty much the only automatic transmission option for RWD GM vehicles someone figured out that the S10 spec converter was looser than the one specced for the B-bodies. So several people were able to get a “better” factory converter through GM dealerships, especially when they blew the transmissions & had them replaced under warranty. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This video info includes that there is the potential failure for the CTSV/ZL1 converter also. It is a different design than the stock truck JBMX, he swaped in a JMDY which is not the same design. I am running the ctsv in my 2015 Silverado and removed 1-4 lockup. Shifts great and am now in the process of logging trans data to continue tuning shift and pressure specifics. Less than $500 for all the parts to do the swap including fluid and filter change.

• Like 1