What truck do I have? How bout my engine..

Hey all. I’ve had my 2017 silverado LS for a month now, very happy.  It didn’t come with a window sticker. Does anyone know a site I can plug the VIN # in and get a build sheet or vehicle description? I’ve found a couple but they wanna charge like $20 to give you the report. I’m specifically trying to find out what engine, it’s the 5.3 but is it the Vortec or Ecotec? Thanks in advance..

Edited by bentarm13
More info

All 2014 + 1/2 ton trucks are Ecotec... If you have a black gas cap it's not flex fuel, if you have a yellow cap it's flex fuel.. There is a list of RPO codes in your upper glove box I believe that will tell you what features the truck has...

Edited by Imcrazy

1 hour ago, bentarm13 said:

Hey all. I’ve had my 2017 silverado LS for a month now, very happy.  It didn’t come with a window sticker. Does anyone know a site I can plug the VIN # in and get a build sheet or vehicle description? I’ve found a couple but they wanna charge like $20 to give you the report. I’m specifically trying to find out what engine, it’s the 5.3 but is it the Vortec or Ecotec? Thanks in advance..

Take a picture of the RPO code sticker in your glove box and post it, lots of knowledge on the site here, guaranteed most of the codes will be deciphered for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

All 2014 + 1/2 ton trucks are Ecotec... If you have a black gas cap it's not flex fuel, if you have a yellow cap it's flex fuel.. There is a list of RPO codes in your upper glove box I believe that will tell you what features the truck has...

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

Take a picture of the RPO code sticker in your glove box and post it, lots of knowledge on the site here, guaranteed most of the codes will be deciphered for you.

As of 2017 model year. The RPO sticker is no longer in the glove box. You have to scan the code on the sticker (where VIN and build date are) between the front and back doors to get them now. Most of the time it does not give you the whole list either.

5 hours ago, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

As of 2017 model year. The RPO sticker is no longer in the glove box. You have to scan the code on the sticker (where VIN and build date are) between the front and back doors to get them now. Most of the time it does not give you the whole list either.

It’s 2018. My 17 has the codes in the glove box

2 hours ago, Flameout said:

Yes, my 2017 also has codes in glovebox. But as I posted above, email your VIN to [email protected] and you'll receive a reply listing your RPO's and their explanation

I thought they quit doing that recently.

I thought they quit doing that recently.
Oh, possible I guess. I just got mine mine about 4 weeks ago. I was a bit surprised because I also thought they stopped

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, bentarm13 said:

Thanks all! Just gonna send the vin to GM.com. This site rules, I wish the search topic was easier.

Let us know if you get a build sheet.

Edited by dieselfan1

4 hours ago, bentarm13 said:

Thanks all! Just gonna send the vin to GM.com. This site rules, I wish the search topic was easier.

Search sucks on this site.

Use Google year, model, part/problem, & then site.

example 2015 silverado factory brake controller site:www.gm-trucks.com

This is the best way to “search” on this site

10 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

Search sucks on this site.

Use Google year, model, part/problem, & then site.

example 2015 silverado factory brake controller site:www.gm-trucks.com

This is the best way to “search” on this site

You know, now that you bring this up I realize this is how I originally found the site. Good thinking.

• Like 1