Hylux/Morimoto D5S HID’s

Hey all,

I know people here that have 16-19 1500’s with the stock HID’s have expressed interest in upgrading to a 35w option. Hidkitpros.com and lightwerkz.com have Hylux’s and Morimoto’s pretty cheap as part of their Black Friday sales.

I ordered a set of Hylux’s. Hopefully they have OEM reliability. I have no affiliation with either site, just wanted to bring it up in case anyone has been thinking about picking some up!

https://hidkitpros.com/shop/hylux-d5s-oe-headlight-xenon-hid-bulbs/

https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/morimoto-xb35-d5s-bulbs.html

Hey all,

I know people here that have 16-19 1500’s with the stock HID’s have expressed interest in upgrading to a 35w option. Hidkitpros.com and lightwerkz.com have Hylux’s and Morimoto’s pretty cheap as part of their Black Friday sales.

I ordered a set of Hylux’s. Hopefully they have OEM reliability. I have no affiliation with either site, just wanted to bring it up in case anyone has been thinking about picking some up!

https://hidkitpros.com/shop/hylux-d5s-oe-headlight-xenon-hid-bulbs/

https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/morimoto-xb35-d5s-bulbs.html

Go LED

https://www.hidconcept.com/products/copy-of-d5s-dama-kanji-ultimate-vision-5500k-35w-hid-xenon-bulbs-pack-of-2

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I am a fan of the newer LED headlights. In my GL1800 motorcycle, years ago, several started upgrading their headlights to HID but I held off. I heard plenty of good things about it being a dramatic improvement but couldn't justify the cost. LED H7 bulbs for the GL1800 have advanced enough were it works very well. I finally upgraded to LED's and have been impressed with the improvement over stock bulbs. When it's time to replace my stock D5S bulbs, I would really like to go with LED bulbs as well. As long as it is plug and play and I dont have to modify the housing, I will seriously consider them.

I have hylux 35w ballast and morimoto bulbs.

it’s been a year or two now and so far it’s oem reliability

one of the ballasts actually became disconnected from my crappy mounting solution  in my engine bay, it was just hanging there from the wire and surely has been banging against the truck for several months. It didn’t care

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

I have hylux 35w ballast and morimoto bulbs.

it’s been a year or two now and so far it’s oem reliability

one of the ballasts actually became disconnected from my crappy mounting solution  in my engine bay, it was just hanging there from the wire and surely has been banging against the truck for several months. It didn’t care

What temp did you get? I ordered the 5000k. I’m wondering if they’ll be a noticable difference in whiteness/output compared to the stock 4500k

15 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

What temp did you get? I ordered the 5000k. I’m wondering if they’ll be a noticable difference in whiteness/output compared to the stock 4500k

I can’t say I remember.

I do remember being surprised how much whiter they were than my led running lights.

Just now, truckguy82 said:

I can’t say I remember.

I do remember being surprised how much whiter they were than my led running lights.

Gotcha. We shall see then.. I'm more concerned with light output over color, but I was just curious. I wonder what temp stock LED bulbs that come with High Country, LTZ's, Denali's etc are..

11 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

Gotcha. We shall see then.. I'm more concerned with light output over color, but I was just curious. I wonder what temp stock LED bulbs that come with High Country, LTZ's, Denali's etc are..

Output Is amazing

If it was any brighter I would be too concerned with blinding people. Glad I picked the 35w.

If I you live somewhere you want brighter in certain situations, I’d still get the 35w and add a light bar.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Output Is amazing

If it was any brighter I would be too concerned with blinding people. Glad I picked the 35w.

If I you live somewhere you want brighter in certain situations, I’d still get the 35w and add a light bar.

Forgot to ask before.. does your “auto” headlight setting still work? Or do you have to turn your headlights on and off manually now?

I know with Morimoto’s plug/play DS5’s you can’t use the auto setting due to the higher power draw..

30 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

Forgot to ask before.. does your “auto” headlight setting still work? Or do you have to turn your headlights on and off manually now?

I know with Morimoto’s plug/play DS5’s you can’t use the auto setting due to the higher power draw..

Yes, there is no effect on operation. auto works fine.

granted I dont have the same hardware as you.

i have a ‘14 slt, so my hylux ballast is a box I mount in the engine bay, and then that’s wired to the bulb. I also did the d2s mini 4.0 projector retrofit.

14 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

Yes, there is no effect on operation. auto works fine.

granted I dont have the same hardware as you.

i have a ‘14 slt, so my hylux ballast is a box I mount in the engine bay, and then that’s wired to the bulb. I also did the d2s mini 4.0 projector retrofit.

Hmm I would think it shouldn’t make a difference since it’s still 35w regardless.

I emailed hidkitpros and they said both Hylux’s and Morimoto’s won’t work with the auto setting.

Now I have a dilemma.. They won’t accept returns of “installed” products. So do I attempt to install them and risk it or just play it safe and return them.. I really like using auto so I would like to keep that feature of possible.

17 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

Hmm I would think it shouldn’t make a difference since it’s still 35w regardless.

I emailed hidkitpros and they said both Hylux’s and Morimoto’s won’t work with the auto setting.

Now I have a dilemma.. They won’t accept returns of “installed” products. So do I attempt to install them and risk it or just play it safe and return them.. I really like using auto so I would like to keep that feature of possible.

Yeah screw that, I’d want my auto headlights. There has to be another solution that involves mounting a ballast in the engine bay

• Like 1

I suggest contacting phil at fastheadlights.com

he’s a forum member here also, i believe the handle is fastws6. posts alot in the big headlight thread.

discount for forum members. He was literally texting me on the weekend helping me with my install

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

Yeah screw that, I’d want my auto headlights. There has to be another solution that involves mounting a ballast in the engine bay

Yea if I had to choose auto over a slight bump up in output and color.. I’m going to have to stick with my OEM bulbs.

Though not exactly outstanding, I don’t think the stock 25w Philips bulbs are quite as horrible/paltry as a lot of people on here seem to think. Just my opinion..

They are paltry compared to the 35w hid, I can promise that.

The externally mounted hylux ballast is pretty damn easy if they have something. It’s just a little box that plugs into the oem wiring and then plugs into the bulb. You only need to find a ground, which was easy as pie.

• Like 1