Hey fellas, I’m currently shopping a 2020 custom trail boss. I’m torn between the 6.2 with the 3:23 or the 5.3 with the 3:42. Ideally I’d like the 6.2 with the 3:42 for best matched performance and towing but can’t get that in my price range. Anyone have any feedback on this? And what are y’all’s thoughts on the 5.3 3:42 towing and performance capabilities?

Are you sure you can get a trail boss with 3.42?
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the only way to get the 3.42 9.76" Axel is to get max trailering PKG, and that is not available with trail boss/AT4.

And that goes for either the 5.3 or 6.2

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

The Custom TB with the 6 speed trans gets the 3.42. 8 and 10 speed transmissions can only get the 3.42 with NHT, not available on any Trail Boss or Z71. Either way, the 8 and 10 speed transmission gearing mitigates the need for the lower rear end gear.

I don’t think there is any doubt that the 6.2 10 speed will pull much much better than the 5.3 / 6 speed, no matter what rear. I had the 5.3 6 speed in my 2016, it was lazy, clunky and not all that satisfying to drive. I’m sure they have made some small improvements since, but still not on the same level as the 6.2/10. Don’t worry about a small rear end ratio difference, it’s made up for and then some.