2020 6.6 D-max towing MPG

2 minutes ago, Lfod1836 said:

Well that's promising!  I am hoping to get 11-12 running 70 with my 7-8k bumper pull RV.

I tow mostly through OH, WV, PA, MD hills so if your running flat ground you should do better.

21 hours ago, sdelam said:

I tow mostly through OH, WV, PA, MD hills so if your running flat ground you should do better.

Houston to Crested Butte Colorado every summer. So a mix of both..

Edited by Lfod1836

• 2 weeks later...

I've got just shy of 14,000 miles on mine and I'd say about ¾ of that is towing a utility trailer with anywhere from empty(2860 lbs) up to 14k pretty often and I'm averaging 14.2 mpg overall.  I don't have the large amount of wind resistance like the campers do though.

25 minutes ago, MrGraff said:

My 14.5k fifth wheel doing 65mph will get 9.5 - 10.5mpg depending on wind and roads.

That's actually really encouraging!

Considering I can't even get 10 MPG with my 16' LTZ 5.3 pulling my 6500 lb Jayco at 55 mph. It has the 8 speed and will never even think about going into 7th gear. Mostly it will hangs out in 5th unless I get into a head wind then all bets are off. Sometimes 3rd or 4th in stiff wind just to maintain 55 mph.

• Like 1

I understand MPG is not why anyone gets a bigger truck with a diesel. You can buy a lot of fuel with that $9k additional diesel premium.

My #1 reason for the bigger truck is safety in pulling my 7k camper and the truck loaded down with people and gear. The #2 reason for diesel is, It sure will be nice to make the 2k mile trip without having to watch you guys with the bigger truck and bigger trailer combo passing me like I'm sitting still.  ? LOL

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Always a fun topic...I follow Skeeter boats guys throw out these ridiculous numbers. I just smile and realize they have no idea what they are talking about. I do 14 now with a 3500 boat. It started around 10, but after putting close to 5k, the "break in" everyone mentioned happened and I am really happy it did. I traded in my 17 6.2 (which used premium....vomit) and only got about 10 with that. I was originally thinking wtf, just spent all this for nothing...but happy with the results and hoping the "break in" keep happening.

I just went from Illinois to South Florida a few weeks ago.Mine is a 2020 Duramax 3500 SRW pulling a 41.5' 5th wheel. I think I am around 16,000 Lbs. I averaged about 8.5 running 75 mph. I traded a 17 Duramax. The 10 speed really makes the truck seem lighter. Hopefully the mpg goes up a little after I get some miles on it. Love the truck!

On 1/30/2020 at 4:36 PM, xray58 said:

I just went from Illinois to South Florida a few weeks ago.Mine is a 2020 Duramax 3500 SRW pulling a 41.5' 5th wheel. I think I am around 16,000 Lbs. I averaged about 8.5 running 75 mph. I traded a 17 Duramax. The 10 speed really makes the truck seem lighter. Hopefully the mpg goes up a little after I get some miles on it. Love the truck!

75 mph? with a 16k fifth wheel? you got more ballz than I do!