Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2019/2020 Tow Mirror Installation


Recommended Posts

On 12/11/2020 at 7:58 PM, Kirk Groenendaal said:

I just got a 2020 RST told them tow mirrors or no deal they said ok but would not do the labor ?? No problem so i installed the mirrors and new harness took it to them and the re flash has all lights working except the side cargo lights same BS from dealer and GM . I would have not purchased that truck but here i am now. Dose anyone have the pinout numbers at the BCM for the mirrors to work thinking i need to make a jumper from the cargo lights to the mirror cargo light.

Kirk,

After you installed the mirrors and before you had the dealer reflash the BCM, did any of the light functions work? 
After I installed mine the driver’s side mirror clearance/parking lights work in the remote start mode and when the parking lights are on, but don’t work with the turn signals. On the passenger side no lights are working. 
I’m in the same situation as others, dealer says they can’t/won’t  reflash the BCM. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just received my tow mirrors I bought on the Black Friday sale. I installed them today and thought I would share the install process and how it went.   My truck is a 2019 LT 5.3, CCSB that

You're welcome.   So regarding our existing harnesses plugging in, yes they do. Identical plug and play. However the factory harness does not have all the circuits for all the mirror feature

Ok, here you go. This is extended.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, eng413ine said:

Kirk,

After you installed the mirrors and before you had the dealer reflash the BCM, did any of the light functions work? 
After I installed mine the driver’s side mirror clearance/parking lights work in the remote start mode and when the parking lights are on, but don’t work with the turn signals. On the passenger side no lights are working. 
I’m in the same situation as others, dealer says they can’t/won’t  reflash the BCM. 

I knew i was taking it in for the reflash and did not pay to much attention. I did have running lights on both sides .The tech did  reflash the bcm but did not have the code then said cargo lights would not work. I found out he needed the code and called the dealer with the info. They said code or not they could not get them to work on my truck. I do not know if the tech is getting the correct info to or from GM as he clearly did not know what he was doing. Should get the truck Friday. unless i take it to a different dealer i may fix the problem myself. Disappointing 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Kirk Groenendaal said:

I knew i was taking it in for the reflash and did not pay to much attention. I did have running lights on both sides .The tech did  reflash the bcm but did not have the code then said cargo lights would not work. I found out he needed the code and called the dealer with the info. They said code or not they could not get them to work on my truck. I do not know if the tech is getting the correct info to or from GM as he clearly did not know what he was doing. Should get the truck Friday. unless i take it to a different dealer i may fix the problem myself. Disappointing 

What functions did your original mirrors have? Did they have blind spot and Task lamps?  Also did you purchase the mirror kit from GM and the door harness'?  If you purchased the kit, it should have come with the code for the Tech to call GM.  The website has all the criteria needed to install:

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/trailering/2020-silverado-1500-extended-view-tow-mirrors-black-manual-fold-and-extension-set/84731241-p-92306126.html

 

Edited by pewterliftedz
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2020 at 10:44 AM, eng413ine said:

I just installed the tow/camper mirrors on my 2019 Silverado RST. I also installed new harnesses in the truck. The truck came with DLF mirrors and PEPS. New door harnesses are 84622371 and 84622372. Right after install the following worked on the new mirrors: mirror adjust, mirror heat, temp sensor, and driver's side only clearance lamp. What is not working on the new mirrors: passenger side clearance lamp, turn signal lamps, and cargo lamps. In knew the BCM would need to be updated, so I went to the dealer today with my code and they said the BCM cannot be updated because the truck doesn't have right hardware (connection to BCM?) to make the non-working features work. They couldn't explain why clearance lamp was working on one side, but not the other.

Questions: Is what the dealer said accurate? Is there an add/update available for the hardware to make the features work such as an aftermarket connection kit?

2019 trucks do not have the proper software or wiring to be plug and play, you will have to custom wire them.  If you look on the website it specifically says exclusively for 2020+.

 

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/trailering/2020-silverado-1500-extended-view-tow-mirrors-black-manual-fold-and-extension-set/84731241-p-92306126.html

Edited by pewterliftedz
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, pewterliftedz said:

What functions did your original mirrors have? Did they have blind spot and Task lamps?  Also did you purchase the mirror kit from GM and the door harness'?  If you purchased the kit, it should have come with the code for the Tech to call GM.  The website has all the criteria needed to install:

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/trailering/2020-silverado-1500-extended-view-tow-mirrors-black-manual-fold-and-extension-set/84731241-p-92306126.html

 

Hi The mirrors came from GM thru the dealers as well as the wiring harness for each door.  code was in the mirror box The dealer said they would not install so i did the install basic and straight forward. So i have the correct parts as per the info provided. No blind spot i need to look on task lamps but i do not think so Build sheet DLF code for the mirrors as built

Kirk

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2020 at 5:06 AM, Kirk Groenendaal said:

Hi The mirrors came from GM thru the dealers as well as the wiring harness for each door.  code was in the mirror box The dealer said they would not install so i did the install basic and straight forward. So i have the correct parts as per the info provided. No blind spot i need to look on task lamps but i do not think so Build sheet DLF code for the mirrors as built

Kirk

Ok, then you should be good to go.  The dealer service center must be idiots, and not mess with accessories much.  Call GM directly and file a complaint, they will get you sorted out.  Do not start repinning stuff, do you have the harness part numbers?  Do they match up with  this chart?

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/images/84731241_Mirror_Retrofit_Chart.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, pewterliftedz said:

Ok, then you should be good to go.  The dealer service center must be idiots, and not mess with accessories much.  Call GM directly and file a complaint, they will get you sorted out.  Do not start repinning stuff, do you have the harness part numbers?  Do they match up with  this chart?

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/images/84731241_Mirror_Retrofit_Chart.pdf

Hi 

I have the 71/72 ending harness for the DLF& BMT 2020 double cab. that is in line with my build sheet as well. They have asked me to give them until after the first of the year. I am still of the opinion the tech is in over his head and dose not know how to preform the reprograming. We parted on Thursday with either the wrong info or question is going to(or the wrong folks at) GM or they built my 2020 with a 2019 BCM and either one should be fixed.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 3:44 PM, Kirk Groenendaal said:

Hi 

I have the 71/72 ending harness for the DLF& BMT 2020 double cab. that is in line with my build sheet as well. They have asked me to give them until after the first of the year. I am still of the opinion the tech is in over his head and dose not know how to preform the reprograming. We parted on Thursday with either the wrong info or question is going to(or the wrong folks at) GM or they built my 2020 with a 2019 BCM and either one should be fixed.

 

Hi All

Update back at the dealer today and they called GM and got the correct info for the down load all working as should. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Duramax3oh said:

Trying this now, awesome instructions!

 

But how in the ever living hell do you disconnect these?!!!

 

F7B5DFBD-CB5C-45C8-A170-472BB54D9693.jpeg
 

 

15795161-BF81-4918-B8C2-55D79A28A1B3.jpeg

The red plastic is a locking clip, push down and slid  ,then pull plug apart

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, slj2008 said:

The red plastic is a locking clip, push down and slid  ,then pull plug apart

Thanks slj, the top attached to the mirror was easier but I had to use a flat head to help it out. 
 

The door side is just killing me. Does the grey piece move at all? Am I unplugging from the inside door panel part that’s near the grey/red clips or the side that attaches to the actual door?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wooo that was a little bit of work but I got the driver side installed! There is absolutely no way I could have done it without these directions - thank you!

 

I did not change out the wiring harness. I couldn’t get it disconnected and then I realized how much more extensive that part was and just wanted to get the mirrors on to start. Will do passenger side tomorrow. 
 

With replacing mirrors only, no lights work (amber markers nor the rear facing light) but the power function for mirror adjust works just fine. That’s good enough for me right now. 
 

Last thing is yes, these things are freaking huge. Going to take a little getting used to for sure because there is a very new blind spot created!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Original mirrors had the blind spot alert and obviously the tow mirrors do not. Without changing the door harness and getting dealer to run the program, what error message should I expect on the dash if anything? This would be related to the blind spot monitoring relay hitting issues since it’s not there anymore. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Original mirrors had the blind spot alert and obviously the tow mirrors do not. Without changing the door harness and getting dealer to run the program, what error message should I expect on the dash if anything? This would be related to the blind spot monitoring relay hitting issues since it’s not there anymore. 

There is an option in your radio menu to turn the blind zone feature off, if you see an error at all.
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I just came back from the dealer to ask if they've done this install and to check what their price was.  They said, on another 2020 AT4 Sierra but like my truck, they have tried and could not install the passenger side.  None of the functions work.  On that "ShopChevyParts" site listed above, it actually states the mirrors are manual extend and fold.  Also, like the parts guy said, it states my mirrors seem to have code DEZ and the mirrors are not compatible.  

Yet, I seem to read on here that someone has installed these mirrors with all power functions working on the '20 AT4 Sierra.  I'm really confused now, but did not argue with the dealer.  

Did I misread?

Edited by CProfi
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.