Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
mistermcgoo

Mileage/Resale Value

Recommended Posts

Just curious what the general consensus is here regarding mileage and resale value. When do people generally consider mileage being too high when purchasing pre-owned?

 

i just got a 2018 with 26k on the clock about a month ago after trading in my 2016. I usually drive around 6-8k/year, so I’m estimating that I’ll have around 70,000ish on the clock when I’ll possibly  likely be looking for something else in about 5/6 years from now..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much was the price difference between the 2016 and 2018 trk.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vehicles are tools that come with a cost. Drive it as much as you want/need. Resale value really shouldn't be a high factor into your decision process. The 2 important questions are: Can I afford the cost of the tool? Does the tool fit my needs/wants?
However, to get the most resale $$, the best hope you have is to keep it in very good shape, mechanically and cosmetically. Even with high miles, a truck that looks like new will still fetch a decent price for what it is. Vehicles in great shape with 300k miles will still find buyers. The price at that time will depend on many factors, several of which aren't related to the vehicle; fuel prices, economy, factory pricing and incentives, buyer moods, etc.

It's also much better to put a lot of miles on in a short period, rather than only a few miles a year.

Personally, I have a truck because I need one. I keep my truck in great shape; for me and for when I sell it, even though it has higher than average miles on it. I may keep it for 2 yrs or 5 or 10. When I sell, I'll get what I can and move to the next one. Whoever buys it will get a nice truck.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know the saying.. Keeping low miles on your car/truck for resale is like not having "relations" with your girlfriend for the next guy..

Use it as you wish and then it is what it is when its time to sell. I drive like 20k a year. 2014 sierra 130k miles now.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 92 has always been a weekend toy. I’m the third owner. The truck has 115K miles on it. It could pass for a three year old truck. My wife’s 01 intagra type r has 30K miles on it. Still has the new car smell. My brother in-law routinely puts 300K miles on his vehicles. My parents have vehicles they will not trade in a 97 Ram and a 2000 Ford. Both diesels. Would drive them anywhere. Maintenance is the key nothing else.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

Vehicles are tools that come with a cost. Drive it as much as you want/need. Resale value really shouldn't be a high factor into your decision process. The 2 important questions are: Can I afford the cost of the tool? Does the tool fit my needs/wants?
However, to get the most resale $$, the best hope you have is to keep it in very good shape, mechanically and cosmetically. Even with high miles, a truck that looks like new will still fetch a decent price for what it is. Vehicles in great shape with 300k miles will still find buyers. The price at that time will depend on many factors, several of which aren't related to the vehicle; fuel prices, economy, factory pricing and incentives, buyer moods, etc.

It's also much better to put a lot of miles on in a short period, rather than only a few miles a year.

Personally, I have a truck because I need one. I keep my truck in great shape; for me and for when I sell it, even though it has higher than average miles on it. I may keep it for 2 yrs or 5 or 10. When I sell, I'll get what I can and move to the next one. Whoever buys it will get a nice truck.

 Well said. The reason I traded in my 16 from this 18 is because it had all of the options that my 16 lacked. I did not need a new truck, nor was I necessarily looking for one.. but this just so happened to pop up at a dealership I drive past on the way home from work for a great price. My monthly payments haven't changed at all and my loan term has not extended.

 

I plan on keeping this for a while. I have always been the kind of person to be meticulous when it comes to maintaining my possessions and my truck is certainly no exception.

 

I sometimes wonder where the worry some people (not here, people in general) have of putting mileage on vehicles came from these days..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What did you pay for the '18?

 

I've had my 18 for several months now and love it.. but I got a great deal on it (based on what I could find around here, anyway)

Z71 4X4 crew cab short bed with 10K miles for $33K

 

I've upgraded (or plan to) everything that I "wanted" on it... and I love where it is right now..

 

 

3abb3aef57f50badc9e5bc76cf0ddc6f.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2018 Redline DC. Pretty loaded..

 

 

 

It had a sticker price of 30,250, but I got it down to 29,500 and received a fair amount for my trade. Clean history, cosmetically and mechanically pristine. A month later and I’m still wondering what the catch is.. 

 

 

402C642A-D01D-4063-91B6-F2B654272CFA.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Resale is hugely important to me as I cycle my personal trucks out every 4-5 years because of today's build quality. I keep them as mint as possible and usually ask 10% more than the blue book value. When I traded my 2010, I lost $12k off of what I paid for it, so it only cost me $2,500 per year to drive a loaded SLT. It does not help however than they increase MSRP by $10,000 every new truck line. I got 24k for my 2010, I will be looking for 35-40k for my 2015 which will have about 30,000mi at trade time to make it worth while. Hearing they are selling for that in USD makes me really happy. If I cant get what I want here I will try to sell to a US dealer. Canadian prices used.   

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steps. A drop at 30k, 50k, 70k, 100k, 150k, 200k, etc. One mile over the step drops more than each mile before or after...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Resale is hugely important to me as I cycle my personal trucks out every 4-5 years because of today's build quality. I keep them as mint as possible and usually ask 10% more than the blue book value. When I traded my 2010, I lost $12k off of what I paid for it, so it only cost me $2,500 per year to drive a loaded SLT. It does not help however than they increase MSRP by $10,000 every new truck line. I got 24k for my 2010, I will be looking for 35-40k for my 2015 which will have about 30,000mi at trade time to make it worth while. Hearing they are selling for that in USD makes me really happy. If I cant get what I want here I will try to sell to a US dealer. Canadian prices used.   

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Nice wheels! Where have I seen them before..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mistermcgoo said:

 Well said. The reason I traded in my 16 from this 18 is because it had all of the options that my 16 lacked. I did not need a new truck, nor was I necessarily looking for one.. but this just so happened to pop up at a dealership I drive past on the way home from work for a great price. My monthly payments haven't changed at all and my loan term has not extended.

 

I plan on keeping this for a while. I have always been the kind of person to be meticulous when it comes to maintaining my possessions and my truck is certainly no exception.

 

I sometimes wonder where the worry some people (not here, people in general) have of putting mileage on vehicles came from these days..

 

How did u trade a 16 for an 18 and nothing changed payment or term? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 15 Z71 said:

How did u trade a 16 for an 18 and nothing changed payment or term? 

Due to the positive equity I had in the 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mistermcgoo said:

Nice wheels! Where have I seen them before..

Do you have the same ones or are you being sarcastic? I like to find every excuse I can to post pictures of my trucks if y'all haven't noticed yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Do you have the same ones or are you being sarcastic? I like to find every excuse I can to post pictures of my trucks if y'all haven't noticed yet. 

I have them in black. Well.. replica GMC honeycombs.

Edited by mistermcgoo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.