Radio

So recently traded in my 2017 Silverado for a 2020 with 3.0L duramax engine.  I swapped out the reverse and license plate lights for LEDs. Manual says not to because it will cause problems. I don't know how true this is but I have noticed that after I turn the truck off and open my door, the radio dims and stays on. I know all my other trucks the radio would shut off after the door was opened. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

With the CAN-bus wiring and modules on the new vehicles you can no longer substitute different bulbs than what the vehicle came equipped with from the factory.    LED s are a definite no go, or do so at your own risk.    The modules will not communicate correctly with each other due to incorrect resistance and interference from the LEDs.    I would avoid them completely.

• Like 2

Never had any issues in my 2016 or my 2019...running LED plate, reverse and front turn signals. A ton of others here have done the same, and haven’t read of anyone else having a problem either. Radio screen fades off when I open the door. 

On 12/14/2019 at 3:55 PM, Anthony Greco said:

With the CAN-bus wiring and modules on the new vehicles you can no longer substitute different bulbs than what the vehicle came equipped with from the factory.    LED s are a definite no go, or do so at your own risk.    The modules will not communicate correctly with each other due to incorrect resistance and interference from the LEDs.    I would avoid them completely.

Could it be because it's a newer truck with a diesel engine and different wiring?

On 12/14/2019 at 3:55 PM, Anthony Greco said:

2 hours ago, Anthony Greco said:

Switch back over to the original bulbs and see if that corrects your issue. ?

I put the factory lights back in but the radio still stays on for 30 seconds after I close the door. I even disconnected the battery for 30 seconds and it's still doing it. 

Good evening

I just purchased a 2020 Sierra SLT with the 3.0 Duramax (2000miles). My radio does not shut off when you open the door. It did, but has not for 2 days now. Will be getting it looked into and will update this forum if I get anywhere. I have no mods or upgrades of any sort. Too old. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GlennOchs said:

Good evening

I just purchased a 2020 Sierra SLT with the 3.0 Duramax (2000miles). My radio does not shut off when you open the door. It did, but has not for 2 days now. Will be getting it looked into and will update this forum if I get anywhere. I have no mods or upgrades of any sort. Too old. 

All I did to mine was replace the factory incandescent bulbs with led's. Didn't think much of it since my 2017 had no issues with them in. 

14 hours ago, GlennOchs said:

I am fairly certain the changing of the bulbs is not the cause of the issues in your case.  Hopefully, this will fix itself and not be a major concern. Really like the truck. 

These new trucks are very sensitive when it comes to its electronics. The other day I was messing around with my truck, turned it on then shut it off to see if the factory lights had fixed the issue, turned it back on and the back up turned on after I shut the door.