Any problems with 2019 Sierra 1500’s

Hello. I’m close to making a deal on a brand new Sierra 1500 SLT with the 5.3 motor. I know this is the first year of the redesign. Are there any issues that are know to this truck that I should be aware of, that would be cause to wait for a 2020 model?  In other words, are there still kinks in the 2019 model that they’re working out?

Thank you!

Stay away from the 8 speed transmission. It's hit or miss if you will have problems or not. I have the 10 speed in my 20. I asked the service advisor when I took my wifes car in if they had problems with the 8 speeds. He said that is the specific reason why he has the 6 speed in his Tahoe.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bamorris2 said:

Hello. I’m close to making a deal on a brand new Sierra 1500 SLT with the 5.3 motor. I know this is the first year of the redesign. Are there any issues that are know to this truck that I should be aware of, that would be cause to wait for a 2020 model?  In other words, are there still kinks in the 2019 model that they’re working out?

Thank you!

Guess you could actually take the time to read through the various posts and come to a conclusion??? ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

Stay away from the 8 speed transmission. It's hit or miss if you will have problems or not. I have the 10 speed in my 20. I asked the service advisor when I took my wifes car in if they had problems with the 8 speeds. He said that is the specific reason why he has the 6 speed in his Tahoe.

1 hour ago, HONDABBQ said:

In the early builds it looks like the kinks were a plenty. Mid summer and on builds are tightened up. 

Thank you both!  I believe the one I’ve got my eye on does have the 8 speed. I may need to look at another truck that has the 10 speed. 

• Like 1

My 19 Sierra SLT 5.3/8 speed combo has a build date of 07/2019.

Knock on wood, I have personally not experienced any of the kinks or bugs the early builds had. 

My 8 speed was a tad rough with the shifts/downshifts for the first 2k miles (Due to the ecu learning process) but now im at 5k miles and it is buttery smooth and have not experienced any of the issues others have described. My trans has the new fluid due to the late build date and it has been great.

Id say if the build date is in the mid year of 2019 and the price is right, you can buy confidently. Otherwise I have seen a lot of incentives and deals on 2020 trucks as well

29 minutes ago, Tomtom87 said:

My 19 Sierra SLT 5.3/8 speed combo has a build date of 07/2019.

Knock on wood, I have personally not experienced any of the kinks or bugs the early builds had. 

My 8 speed was a tad rough with the shifts/downshifts for the first 2k miles (Due to the ecu learning process) but now im at 5k miles and it is buttery smooth and have not experienced any of the issues others have described. My trans has the new fluid due to the late build date and it has been great.

Id say if the build date is in the mid year of 2019 and the price is right, you can buy confidently. Otherwise I have seen a lot of incentives and deals on 2020 trucks as well

Thank you. Glad to hear it smoothed out after a few thousand miles. The deal I’m looking at is just a hair over $13,000 off MSRP.  Seems to be a good deal...???

25 minutes ago, BigredGMC said:

My 19 Sierra Elevation with 8 speed is ok, unless you do a lot of stop and go. then around 10 mph/ 20kph it jerks when you let off the gas and when you get back on the gas. It gets nauseating after about 45 minutes of stop and go.  Other then that all good.

Thank you. How many miles are on your 2019?

My 19 elevation also has a 7/19 build date and it shifts smooth. For the first 100 miles the shift between first and second felt a little stiff but that went away quickly.

Only quirk mine has is occasionally when shifting the transfer case back into 2wd if you change gears while it says transfer case shifting or if you shut the truck off right after it switches it will say service 4wd and the icon will turn orange. When you drive down the road an 1/8th mile or so the icon goes back to white and everything is back to normal. It's done this a total of 3 times to me.  Dealer says they have heard of this before and will update the software when it is in for the recall fixes and that should fix it. I did find a write up on this issue if anyone is interested in reading it.  https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11123

I also dislike the general grabber hts60 tires that came stock as they have poor traction in the snow.

Edited by 19Sierra

Have had mine for 3 weeks and just had first problem with infotainment flipping out. I can listen to the radio, but not bluetooth and GPS isn't working or integrated climate control. This just happened, I have an appt Thursday with the dealer, but not feeling great about my purchase between this and disliking the seats over long distances.