Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Nathan Leslie

infotainment radomly shuts off

Recommended Posts

My infotainment randomly shuts off.  Sometimes it just goes black and you cant control it. The other day it went black and had volume but the buttons would not work. I put in reverse and the back up camera came on. When i put it in drive again the camera view would not go off.  Any suggestions

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had the screen go black a few times, back up camera worked but nothing else. Its only lasted maybe a minute or less and hasn't stopped the radio from playing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine has randomly rebooted, every now and then, and one night it rebooted 8 times in 30 miles. I’m suspecting a “loose” ground.  Thinking maybe you need the firmware reflashed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought a 2019 Silverado Z71 on Dec. 13th.   Since then the infotainment system has gone black and rebooted while driving 4 times. I have lost XM reception 3 times in what I would call gentle adverse weather.... in other words clouds and light snow or rain....   I have had the nav system units change to imperial from metric as well as lost all of my settings on a couple of occasions.....   Also had the driver console that shows the chevy bowtie when you enter the vehicle stutter and go blurry but correct as I pushed the start button....    so far all situations have corrected by shutting the truck down, and then restarting.

 

I contacted Sirius XM about the reception issue. They advised that the dealer/manufacturer needs to replace the radio and antennae system as signal should not be lost in inclement weather.....   Seeing as this is only one issue with the infotainment system and onboard displays, I contacted the Dealership.  They have asked I wait a couple of weeks and document to see if there are any patterns....   Fingers crossed it is just a hassle free swap but who knows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 7:46 AM, Dusty Roads said:

I just bought a 2019 Silverado Z71 on Dec. 13th.   Since then the infotainment system has gone black and rebooted while driving 4 times. I have lost XM reception 3 times in what I would call gentle adverse weather.... in other words clouds and light snow or rain....   I have had the nav system units change to imperial from metric as well as lost all of my settings on a couple of occasions.....   Also had the driver console that shows the chevy bowtie when you enter the vehicle stutter and go blurry but correct as I pushed the start button....    so far all situations have corrected by shutting the truck down, and then restarting.

 

I contacted Sirius XM about the reception issue. They advised that the dealer/manufacturer needs to replace the radio and antennae system as signal should not be lost in inclement weather.....   Seeing as this is only one issue with the infotainment system and onboard displays, I contacted the Dealership.  They have asked I wait a couple of weeks and document to see if there are any patterns....   Fingers crossed it is just a hassle free swap but who knows.

No reception issues here, just reboot issues.  I'm going to start documenting mine.  Been a long while since mine rebooted, and after typing this, watch it'll happen tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been keeping a diary of events since this started and the primary issues revolve around Sirius XM reception, lane keep assist system unavailable or not operating appropriately, park assist going offline, and the DIC freezing.....     I'm thinking it is a simple software issue for some, and I look forward to hearing what the techs can tell me.  I remain reluctantly hopeful it gets resolved quickly and easily.  Love the truck...  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 6:02 AM, Dusty Roads said:

I have been keeping a diary of events since this started and the primary issues revolve around Sirius XM reception, lane keep assist system unavailable or not operating appropriately, park assist going offline, and the DIC freezing.....     I'm thinking it is a simple software issue for some, and I look forward to hearing what the techs can tell me.  I remain reluctantly hopeful it gets resolved quickly and easily.  Love the truck...  

That's a great idea, think I will do the same.  I'm going to keep mine on my Google Calendar, most likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record, I have seen this issue within the past 6 months or so in three different vechicles (my 2018 Volt, 2015 2500 HD Silverado (since replaced), and 2020 2500HD Silverado). I really am beginning to suspect some update pushed to the infotainment is causing this problem. Yesterday while running errands in the Volt it happened 3 times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 3:51 AM, Wbrisett said:

For the record, I have seen this issue within the past 6 months or so in three different vechicles (my 2018 Volt, 2015 2500 HD Silverado (since replaced), and 2020 2500HD Silverado). I really am beginning to suspect some update pushed to the infotainment is causing this problem. Yesterday while running errands in the Volt it happened 3 times. 

It had happened several times in my '18 Silverado, plus the rearview camera wouldn't dim, so I had them push a firmware update.  Camera dimmed a little more than it was, but the random reboots continued.  I've since found a "mod" to fix the camera display to dim evenly with the dimmer roller/switch.  I'm thinking that I may have a loose/breaking ground for the Infotainment Unit, going to look into this, when I finally dig into doing the display mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.