Auto Fog lights on.

Not sure if everyone else hates having to hit the fog light button every time to get them to turn on at night like I do or not. But I came across this and just installed it, took like 5 mins, and works like a charm.

https://boostautoparts.com/products/2003-2019-gm-auto-fogs-mod

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

You could add a 1N4004 diode or two to have the fogs on with lows and highs.

1560661194_3BCMMods.thumb.jpg.832623ca3a1119d4b5abf10521185ad3.jpg

This is from my '15, and used same ones for my '18, except puddle lights (truck was pre-programmed).  The one in the brown plug is fogs on with highs (BN-18-BN-10), between brown and pink is cargo lights on with reverse (PK-26-BN-26), and the one that you can barely see in the gray plug is for puddles on with doors open (but with this one, puddles come on when you turn on the interiors, NOT with the individual switches) (GY-1-GY-8, I think, can't remember).

Striped end     NONstriped

BRN-18             BRN-10              Fogs/Highs

BRN-22             BRN-10              Fogs/Park (used as with "Lows" on most models)

Twenty buck plus shipping to short a 10 cent diode across two wires...........could do the same just shoving the diode leads into the back of the connector as shown on many websites.

A great idea except in many States it is illegal to run fogs and high beams at the same time and this kludge will defeat the automatic switching done by the high beam relay and leave fogs on with highs.

Might not cause a problem on an older model without LEDs, but you are essentially shorting the independent fog light system to the perimeter lighting system with no idea of the long term effects. The fogs are LED and lower line vehicles use filament bulbs for rear perimeter lighting instead of LEDs......and introduction of LEDs into delay filament light circuits have difference resistance readings when lights are off fool the BCM's bulb detection circuit and keep a current draw on the battery after the lights are off which will slowly kill the battery.

Also if your BCM blows and the dealer finds that tapped into the wiring - no more electrical warranty. You pays your dime and you takes your chance.

Yes^^ was thinking why not make the wire and connectors yourself?

Watched the video, and cant understand why it was necessary to have a wire oriented a certain way(blue stripe side on on end and not the other)--video D on the website..

3 hours ago, RPaul said:

Watched the video, and cant understand why it was necessary to have a wire oriented a certain way(blue stripe side on on end and not the other)--video D on the website..

I thought it was due to the fact that the Boost wire has a resistor inline. That is why it is directional and thicker than just a wire connected to 2 plugs. 

I thought it was due to the fact that the Boost wire has a resistor inline. That is why it is directional and thicker than just a wire connected to 2 plugs. 

It’s a diode, which is directional. Allows current flow in one direction but not the other.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ryno12 said:

It’s a diode, which is directional. Allows current flow in one direction but the other.

Good to know. I remember reading that it was something. For what ever reason I thought it was for resistance. Either way it works as advertised and I felt it was worth the price.

Hope it's a well sized and durable diode....if it "blows" open, no problem, just back to normal operation of the fogs; but, if it "shorts out" closed the fog light and/or perimeter lighting system relays/timers or the BCM may get really pissed off with conflicting voltages and do something (not nice).

Edited by Thomcat

I don't understand why they just don't come on with the auto lights and turn off when the highs come on automatically and then turn back on when the highs turn off.... is that so hard to do? Does it cause some sort of problem for GMC/Chevy?

5 minutes ago, Dali555 said:

I don't understand why they just don't come on with the auto lights and turn off when the highs come on automatically and then turn back on when the highs turn off.... is that so hard to do? Does it cause some sort of problem for GMC/Chevy?

It’s weird. I know any other vehicle I’ve owned except a GM product lets you Keep the fog lights on every time the headlights come on. 

6 hours ago, spizike9 said:

It’s weird. I know any other vehicle I’ve owned except a GM product lets you Keep the fog lights on every time the headlights come on. 

My wife’s 2016 Explorer has the fog lights on full time...or whenever the auto headlights are on when it’s dark.  No need to turn them on every time we jump in.

Now on that note the Explorer has HID low beams and regular incandescent high beams which is stupid!

At least my Sierra uses HID high beams!

7 hours ago, Dali555 said:

I don't want my fogs on all the time. The fogs do come on and go off with the high beams.