Front Suspension & Frame compared to Ford

Hello,

as far as i know Ford had the strongest frame since 2017 with a massive 240x90x4.7mm frame rail (9.45x3.5x0.18, measured under the hood) made out of 80.000PSI steel, besting the GM frame of 2011 which had 215x85x4.5 (8.45x3.3x0.17) made out of 60.000PSI steel.

The GM chassis cap used to be much much stronger in the rear, but i dont know if that is still the case, of course it will flex a lot moe because of the open frame rail design..

Now did GM change the new frame to get equal with Ford? Does anybody has any numbers or documents bout the dimension and steel quality?

Also i guess the Dana Super 60 in the front of the Ford is still a bit stronger yet more uncomfortable compared to the Independant Suspension i guess? it used to be in the past, but i dont know if that can still be said, since there are really strong independant suspensions out there.

Marcus

My understanding was GM has used 60,000 psi steel throughout since 2011, and Ford's frame varies between 50,000 psi and 80,000 psi since 2017 (before that they were using 36,000 psi).  Does anyone have verification?  As far as material thickness, in both trucks varies in different areas front to back.  Which one is stronger?  Don't know, too many variables to consider. 

Edited by C/K Man

I checked the document again and you are correct, 50-80.000 on the Ford, straight 60k on the GM. I also agree on the variables, but a whole inch of height on the rails would be a big difference, if the measurements are still the same. A rail this much smaller would have to be of a quite superior material or feature much thicker metal in the key areas to make up for it.

Yeah it used to be way easier to finde such specs!

Sometimes it's weird what they tell you and what not.

For example you can finde detailes frame specs for the Ford F-150 here (page 40):

https://madocumentupload.marketingassociates.com/api/Document/GetFile?v1=4683289&v2=011019013950&v3=60&v4=df22a3ddc37761e236a00a4944187d08f5932f396a1ded2daa77b24a&v5=False

But right next to it, for the super duty, where i'd say it's much more important, there is almost nothing but the yield strenght and the matierla, i got my measurements from an owner.

Page 48:

https://madocumentupload.marketingassociates.com/api/Document/GetFile?v1=4448972&v2=082218092022&v3=60&v4=3a356440177318e6661ce4291a1c606943fd66e39b5e8d79ceb4e67b&v5=False

^Nobody got some data about the new frame? I guess concering the front suspension Ford will be the clear winner, the F-450 uses the same Dana 60 Super in the front and it seems to be good for 7000lbs, quite a bit more compared to the GM suspension. Kinda weird if you consider the amount of military trucks with IFS that can handle so much more front&rear.

And look at the ridiculous frame flex of a Ford and Dodge, they both have to have a rear stabilizer just to function as a pickup and carry a load.  Chevy/GMC has been using an independent front suspension since 1988 (introduced in the 1500 series), it's proven it's strength for over 30 years even though it seems like just yesterday we had solid front axles.  I'll take a GM any day for strength.

That Dana 60 acts as the front axle and differential it’s solid. It’s the moving steering parts are the big problem and once the wobble starts it’s not cut and dry what components are causing it. I grease all my steering parts every 10,000 miles had 4 HD’s to 200,000 miles never worked on any of the front ends other than shocks.

Hm so i guess nobody got any exact data from the new frame? because "beefed up" can mean pretty much anything. I know i got a link years ago fro this page, where you could look into the exact gm-data, it's where i got the number sof the 2011 frame from. Sad that those informations are becoming rarer it seems, if you check australian truck pdfs,  the measurements of the frame are always included, as is the max. axial mass itself, with tires and without.