Help me feel good about keeping my truck

Hi guys, it’s been a while since I’ve posted.  I’ve been thinking about getting into a 3/4 or 1 ton because the wife and I are camper shopping. I came very close to buying a 2015 SuperDuty Diesel on Saturday, but can’t afford higher payments and a camper.

I know lots of people tow campers with half tons, so as it sits, we are going to try and make due.  We are looking at bumper pull trailers in the 25-28ft range. 6k lbs max.

My truck is a 14 Sierra Crew Cab with 6.2 v8.  The limiting factor is definitely the 1500lbs payload.  I know it doesn’t help from a legal perspective, but I’ve added a leaf to the rear spring packs.  

• Like 2

Hi guys, it’s been a while since I’ve posted.  I’ve been thinking about getting into a 3/4 or 1 ton because the wife and I are camper shopping. I came very close to buying a 2015 SuperDuty Diesel on Saturday, but can’t afford higher payments and a camper.

I know lots of people tow campers with half tons, so as it sits, we are going to try and make due.  We are looking at bumper pull trailers in the 25-28ft range. 6k lbs max.

My truck is a 14 Sierra Crew Cab with 6.2 v8.  The limiting factor is definitely the 1500lbs payload.  I know it doesn’t help from a legal perspective, but I’ve added a leaf to the rear spring packs.  

Throw some bags under the back and get on down the road! That 6.2 will do just fine. I know what you mean though, I had a 2015 super duty and am now in a 17 Silverado 1500. I don’t miss all those diesel payments, DEF, and maintenance.
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

As stated above. I'd go with some airbags. They can be adjusted just about anyway you like. The added leaf spring not so much. If it doesn't ride right your stuck with it or have to remove it.

Truck already has an extra leaf. I added it to compensate for the weight of my fiberglass bed cap.  It rides more like a truck now with that and LT tires, which I like.  

Keep it! I’ve got an 18 6.2 that I sold my 16 DMax for. Diesels are great for towing but that’s all. They’re very rough when empty, need def fluid, not everyone has diesel, they don’t turn worth of crap, you’ll sink in wet grass cause they’re much heavier than a 1500 and they’re also much more expensive to work on.

My 1500 easily tows 6k#’s and especially if tuned. The 1500 is very versatile and much more comfortable to drive, fuel is found everywhere and best of all, it’s either already paid off or close to it. KEEP IT, tune it, add required suspension upgrades and be done with it.

Sent from Above

• Like 2

My family towed a hair over that with our half ton for about 5 years.  We camped probably every other weekend and did some 4+ hour trips.  My dad was always saying that anything bigger (>7500), he would want a 3/4 ton.  But it wasn't worth the payment and the added cost of a bigger truck.  You'll feel the trailer for sure but not out of the range at all.  

I wouldn't even spend the money on bags or anything like that.  A good weight distribution hitch plus that added leaf and you'll be good.  

• Like 3

Try with just weight distribution hitch and think about upgrading to bilstein shocks and you’ll see an instant improvement and only after that would I ever consider bags.

Sent from Above

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I will definitely go with a good weight distribution hitch for the camper.  The truck rows my dump trailer with ease, I just worry about the size and aerodynamics of a TT.  Glad to hear some guys making the trade from diesel to gas.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I will definitely go with a good weight distribution hitch for the camper.  The truck rows my dump trailer with ease, I just worry about the size and aerodynamics of a TT.  Glad to hear some guys making the trade from diesel to gas.

This was my setup. 2016 DMAX with Bilsteins, oversized Michelin’s, Incab remote airbags, completely customized and yet worthless unless towing.

08b8241a4d8fa56b79526d4ec79c20fc.jpg

This is my favorite truck ever

2018 1500 6.2 SLT with CST Lift and lots of custom mods, best pickup I’ve ever owned

5ca43ca3328e0ef35baae02a4d6cf09a.plist

Sent from Above

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

This was my setup. 2016 DMAX with Bilsteins, oversized Michelin’s, Incab remote airbags, completely customized and yet worthless unless towing.

08b8241a4d8fa56b79526d4ec79c20fc.jpg

This is my favorite truck ever

2018 6.2 SLT with custom mods, best pickup I’ve ever owned

5ca43ca3328e0ef35baae02a4d6cf09a.plist

Sent from Above

Your SLT looks a lot like mine. Same tires and similar stance.

8A9853F9-A4D7-48BE-830A-09558AD902E7.jpeg

• Like 3

set of $300 bags in the back and a good weight distribution hitch and I think you'd be plenty set.

We were looking at a 6,000-6,500 lb setup (loaded) very hard and in all my research the above would have been just fine

That is exactly what I had planned for my little baby 5.3, so your 6.2 should be just fine!

• Like 1