2000 K3500 transmission issues

4 minutes ago, davester said:

If you have a 4x4, the spot where the speed sensor would go in the rear of the transmission just has a plug in it.

That makes more sense!

So the forward speed sensor needs to come out and get replaced, and that rear sensor. I will have to return 1 of the sensors I ordered as I do not need it. 1 sensor is the style with the metal bracket (that holds a wiring harness), the other is the one with the ear on it to bolt it on.

I have 1 of each type of sensor that I need now. I am going to replace both of them and then do the pan drop/filter/1-2 solenoid.

Thanks for confirming!

Edited by ChevroletTough
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, davester said:

Also look at the connectors to the speed sensors, as your truck looks pretty rusty.

Will do.

Side note, what is the harness that runs off the rear of the transfercase (for the speed sensor), it loops down and goes back up into the underside of the transfercase.

If you look at the last pic, you can see the 2 wire lead that runs off that rear speed sensor and goes down and under the T case, where the speed sensor is inserted.

FYI it is a 2000 7.4L 4x4 reg cab, long bed.

Edited by ChevroletTough
  • Like 1

When I upgraded my truck to manual 4wd, I just needed to install the 4wd wiring harness.  It starts at the front diff, where it plugs into the actuator, goes up to the fuse box where it plugs into a harness there, and then it runs back to the transfer case, where it plugs into the mode (2wd, 4wd) and range sensors (2/4hi or 4lo), then back to the VSS sensor.  Finally, it goes back to the transmission, to plug into the transmission harness.  The final part of the harness is effectively a short extension for the rear VSS, so the transmission harness can remain the same between 2wd and 4wd,

• Like 1

So, I got the sensor replaced and it shifts better. Now the speedo won't work. Guessing that harness is bad on the end that plugs into it.

I cleaned the end of the old speed sensor and put it back in, same thing, and now no shifting now and no speedo. Put the new sensor back in, checked the end a bit, no shifting, no speedo.

UGH

On 12/25/2019 at 8:47 AM, m&jtrans said:

Sounds like the ball bearings in the valve body are sticking. My 1st recommendation is drain the fluid and filter and refill it with a synthetic atf (red line)
No matter what do not use Royal Purple!!!
If the valve body is the problem. You can pick up a new one and put it in at the same time as the fluid n filter change. Its pretty easy to change.
Oh I definitely suggest that you drain the torque converter fluid also. It should have a plug in it drain it out usually holds about 3 qts us the trans fluid.

The Blue Mule

Please tell me how/ where the drain plug is on the torque converter?

• Like 1

I think your truck will have a 4l80e, which has a cover on the bottom, front of the transmission that you can remove to access the flexplate and torque converter.  After removing that, rotate the torque converter until you see a small plug in it.  Continue rotating it until it's pointing down, then remove it and drain the TC.

Don't forget to reinstall the plug before putting the cover back on.

I don't know if your TC will have a plug, but don't be completely surprised if it doesn't have one.

Edit: Note, this is in response to BlancoSilverdo's post...

Edited by davester
  • Like 1

I do have the 4l80e. Did you see my post above after I replaced the speed sensor on the tail end of the transmission?

After replacing the sensor, the speedo stopped working completely. It would shift much better.

I opted to swap the old speed sensor back in, and now it won't shift and the speedo doesn't work. I then swapped the new sensor back in, same result, won't shift and the speedo doesn't work.

I have ordered a new plug end for that speed sensor. The wires appear to be in tact. I may take some of the split wire loom off to make sure there isn't some type of cut in the line. The plug only goes in 1 way.

I am going to turn the ignition on and see if I can see any readings at the speed sensor plug (on the tail of the transmission). This has to be a wiring issue or a fuse. I have done a little reading on fuses.

Edited by ChevroletTough