Torsen differential upgrade in a 97 c1500

Hey there all

I've done as much digging on my own before coming here but Im needing some help. I currently have a 1997 Chevrolet c1500 extended cab, my RPO code tells me that i have a factory GU8 rear differential and I'm looking to upgrade. I've always been weary of clutch style lsd differentials so I've been pouring over information on torque sensing positrac diffs. I think I've come down to my final run down on what I'm wanting to do but I want to get some feedback before I spend the money 

From what I can gather, the rear axle  under the 98-2001 Camaro is the same series as the axle under my truck, and I believe has the zexel t2 series torsen differential I'm looking for. So I'm hoping that I can take the zexel from a Camaro and mate my current ring gear to it to use in my truck. If anyone has any more Info I'd be really appreciative.

Edited by S0uthernman
Spelling error
  • Like 1

GM had varying sizes on 10 bolts but if you can match up an axle I don't see why not. The Torsion diffs are cool. I have considered swapping the Gov bomb a few times myself. 

Only issue might be spline count from a car with 5 lugs to a GM truck with 6 lugs. Little research on the car side and you may have that figured out.

Maybe something like this:

https://torsen.com/product/gm-86/

I think a lot of cars got a 7.5 Diff and trucks had 8.6

Edited by Mikebtte

My truck is only a half ton with the 5 lug pattern. I haven't had much time working with Camaros from the late 90's so I haven't been inside them much. But as for the gear count that's why I was planning on mating my current ring gear to the new differential.

Many of the V8 cars had them, If you find one with the same sized axle you can bolt your gears onto the diff and rock it. Would make for a good diff and a cheaper price tag. The aftermarket diffs get a bit pricey.

• 10 months later...