In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
zzrsouth

IOS w/ NAV upgrade unable to hotspot datashare?

Posted (edited)

Like the title says.  Wife bought me fogs and nav for Xmas.  Dealership installed while doing oil change.  (Good Chev in Renton).  Used reward points to get data but when I try to turn on hotspot data share I get a message to call OnStar.  OnStar confirmed my data plan and was otherwise absolutely no help.  Anyone had a similar issue?  The dealership is far and I hate to go for something stupid...

Edited by zzrsouth
typos

Just to close the loop on this, for whatever reason the 'free' dataplan I got with GM rewards points wouldn't allow hotspot sharing but the day after it rolled over to a paid plan to get traffic in my nav upgrade everything is working.  Bizarre.

1 hour ago, zzrsouth said:

Just to close the loop on this, for whatever reason the 'free' dataplan I got with GM rewards points wouldn't allow hotspot sharing but the day after it rolled over to a paid plan to get traffic in my nav upgrade everything is working.  Bizarre.

Kind of a separate question... I just bought the nav upgrade kit for my 2019 TB, and will be getting it installed/flashed when I go in for recalls next week.

It's my understanding the nav upgrade kit adds navigation without the need for Onstar, correct?  But from your post, it looks like if I get a Onstar service subscription, I can get traffic updates added to the navigation?  Which Onstar plan/service did you go with, do they have different levels of service or specific services you can select?

Thanks for the insight.

From my understanding you won't get traffic without an active On-star account and not just the remote access one, this was the case with my K2 anyway, but it does give you the speed limit.

18 minutes ago, Robbie Regala said:

From my understanding you won't get traffic without an active On-star account and not just the remote access one, this was the case with my K2 anyway, but it does give you the speed limit.

Ok, which which service would I need to get?  Just the general $25/month service?  4G data service? 

**Edit**

So I just chatted with Chevrolet rep, in MyChevrolet website, and she told me traffic is updated on Navigation via Sirius XM, and all I need is a subscription to them, which I already have.

Edited by Swiftks

Found my answers here:

No way I'm paying $40/month for live traffic updates and unlimited 4G wifi hotspot.

Yeah, you need to ask for the 'all access' plan to get the live traffic updates AND you have to leave location services turned on in the privacy settings of your truck so GM can see where you are.  All Access includes the remote key fob application and remote diagnostics if you care.  My onstar rep offered it to me for $35/month on my GM card and you do get a trickle of rewards points back.

Compared to free WAZE it feels like a rip but I'm trying it for a few months and like the data.  The wifi works surprisingly well if you have a family of streamers.

So if you want to use AndroidAuto or CarPlay with googlemaps and/or waz, you can get the traffic info using the phone.

For some, that is a cheaper option. 

If using googlemaps, it is possible to download maps of the areas commonly travelled so they don't need to be repeatedly downloaded -- and also so if travelling into areas without a data connection the maps will still function.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, Swiftks said:

Ok, which which service would I need to get?  Just the general $25/month service?  4G data service? 

**Edit**

So I just chatted with Chevrolet rep, in MyChevrolet website, and she told me traffic is updated on Navigation via Sirius XM, and all I need is a subscription to them, which I already have.

I purchased an OnStar traffic plan only for my 2019 Sierra SLT, $100 for year if you pay all upfront. Otherwise $10 er month. I have no other OnStar services.

On 2/8/2020 at 7:48 AM, ljramsey said:

I purchased an OnStar traffic plan only for my 2019 Sierra SLT, $100 for year if you pay all upfront. Otherwise $10 er month. I have no other OnStar services.

Got the navigation installed today while at the dealer getting 3 recalls taken care of. 

Been going back and fourth with OnStar this evening trying to get the traffic on the map to work.  Said I can get just a base nav communication package, which covers the traffic for $9.99/month or $100/year.  Gave me 3 months free to start.  But haven't got it working yet... We'll get back at it with them tomorrow

Truck location services are on (push pin symbol along the RH bottom of the screen)?  I get no traffic if I have truck location turned off in then privacy settings.  As I recall it took a few ignition cycles after my all access plan began for traffic to start showing up like below (2D North up)

20200130_160401.jpg

Edited by zzrsouth
  • Thanks 1

Update:

So, finally got a clear concise answer on what is needed for traffic updates on the nav map.

You need "Connected Navigation".  I went through the OnStar button to get it.  I told them this is all I wanted or needed, and they've given me a month free to try it out.  Said it would be $10/month after that or $100 for a year subscription.  Here's the description and link:

https://my.chevrolet.com/how-to-support/onstar-connected/features/connected-navigation

Then when I logged into MyChevrolet app, it appears it was either bundled with or is actually part of "Chevrolet Unlimited Access Plan" (see screen shot below of what is included with this).

Screenshot_20200217-092507.thumb.jpg.b97e2f0f67797370033341f6fbd24c2d.jpg

Screenshot_20200217-093759.thumb.jpg.3c31bbcb477ae4c8ce1bdf1667e08d79.jpg

They told me when I talked to them, when setting it up, to call and renew for the yearly subscription when my month free is about to run out next month.  Said it would be $100 for a year, but price in MyChevrolet app is saying $119/year, but that's for all the above.... Not sure if you need the full package or bundle, but regardless I'll call when I want to get the yearly price and get it for $100 as I was promised.

Also, it did take about 6 or so times off starting/stoping my truck before the traffic finally showed up on the nav map.

Thanks for the follow up so I know what to ask for now if I decide I dont need the hotspot data.

I just got a 2020 LT TB and was looking to do this what all is in the upgrade kit you buy and done. What is the part number? What is a ballpark figure I am looking at paying for this upgrade kit?

• Like 1