In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Hi, I have a 2017 5.3 silverado. I’ve only done a K&N intake, a Bully Dog BDX programmer and a muffler delete. I don’t have a big budget but would like to squeeze more horsepower out of this motor. Any idea how much hp I would’ve gained form the intake and programmer? I’m aware the muffler delete does nothing. 

also, perhaps the next few options for hp upgrades keeping in mind I’d prefer not to break the bank?

thanks in advance 

Screen shot18dbc4b33431897975c767e7bd144121.jpg317fb52a2597b6a35618d3f5d730d52b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

What would be the next few upgrades to do starting from cheapest? Also perhaps the hp gains for each?😬

That looks great. I’ve always hated the delayed throttle 

I have the AFE sprint booster. Does the same thing. It has normal stock mode then 9 sport modes and 9 race modes. Race makes the throttle super touchy. I prefer to run mine in sport 5 or 8 which make it as responsive as my older throttle cable truck (nearly no delay)

https://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/afe-sprint-booster-power-converter
  • Like 1

Maybe 10-15hp from what your done so far. Those handheld tuners don't really let you achieve the most from a tune because it's just a premade dealio you flash in.

Convert the truck to run E85. Add some headers. Everything else now is going to costs big dollars, there is no more cheap added horsepower. Plus anything more will want a custom tune done, no more bully dog tuner.

How do I convert it to e85? Are there any specific type of headers to get? Is there a place on here where I can see what mods are available with hp increase per mod?

You'd have to purchase the parts to make it work. The dealership sells the fuel lines and sensor if you wanted it to be like a factory 2014 truck but what most do is just buy the sensor and plumb it into the fuel system back at the fuel tank.

So you'd need the flex fuel sensor, fuel line connections. Extend the wiring for the flex fuel harness that is already under the truck. (may not be required on single cabs) Then a custom tune would need to done to enable all the flex fuel features and to properly dial the tune in.

The factory 2014 trucks were rated at like ~25hp gain at the crank over regular fuel. I forget the real number but it's a okay improvement. And you trade that for fuel mileage because an E85 blend will get worse mpg. Overall with a proper tune and time put in I'd say 20hp with similar torque gain can be had with that fuel. I did this to my truck and my data logs report similar data.

Headers have a huge variety, there are many companies that make them. You can spend as little as like $350 all the way up to $2,000+ for headers. Price does not mean better performance, mainly in fitment and quality of metals/design. Cheaper headers also won't come with cat converters, so passing emissions or just not wanting to smell like rotten eggs and unburnt fuel is something to think about. Having cats also keeps the exhaust quiet, cat-less exhaust will be stupid loud on just about any muffler combination.

Power gains will always vary because of where you live, what fuel is used, how good the tune is etc etc. Figure it's worth 20-30hp in the mid to upper rpms as it tends to shift the power band up in the rev range.

Between those two things there is a potential to add 30-40hp. Also there isn't a place that says this mod does "X' horsepower gain, there are just too many variables. It's all ball park figures.