6.0 Fuel Mileage 2wd vs. 4wd

Is there any difference in fuel mileage for a 2500HD 6.0 with a utility bed between two wheel drive and four wheel drive? 

How much additional cost for maintenance?

Edited by 383

On 1/10/2020 at 7:32 AM, 383 said:

Is there any difference in fuel mileage for a 2500HD 6.0 with a utility bed between two wheel drive and four wheel drive? 

How much additional cost for maintenance?

1-2 mpg difference between 2WD and 4WD, maybe more depending on if the 2WD truck has highway tires and the 4WD truck has on/off road all-terrain tires.  

Barring any other breakage, the only increased maintenance costs would be to change front differential fluid and transfer case fluid on the 4WD every 50K-100K miles, depending of if it is 'normal' or 'severe' usage.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 11:44 AM, dozerboy said:

I have a hard time believing there is a 1-2mpg difference. This isn’t the 70s when we don’t have inter axle locks. Hell I only lost 2mpg going from stock tires to 35s. I would say 0.5mpg at most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but you do still have weight of all the 4WD components, plus the resistance to rolling caused by the drive shafts, etc.

No, but you do still have weight of all the 4WD components, plus the resistance to rolling caused by the drive shafts, etc.

Front diff, Tcase, and etc add about 300lbs. The front drive shaft isn’t driven when it’s in 2wd, so all you have extra is the chain drive in the tcase. Like I said ain’t no way it cost even 1mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk