2019 GMC Yukon NO Trans Gears, NO Tachometer, NO Oil Pressure, NO Power Steering SECOND TIME!

Typing this finally after getting home this evening after dealing with terrible service from GMC's roadside assistance.  Had a cancellation from the first tow company, although it turns out that it was most likely a glitch, as the second tow company called me after the "reassigned" tow company had delivered the vehicle to the dealership.

All that aside, I really had a strange issue this evening.  I have owned my 2019 GMC Yukon SLT for about one month now, currently has approximately 34,900 miles.  Drove to a destination this evening where the vehicle was parked for approximately 45 minutes.  Upon getting back in and started the engine, I noticed that my gauge cluster was totally black.  Similar to how it looks if you use the remote start, but I did not, as I had used the start button on the dash.  So, I pressed the start button a second time, and the dash cluster, infotainment system, and HVAC system illuminated.  However, immediately, I received a warning on the dash indicating that "steering assist is reduced, drive with care."  I did NOT have any power steering.  I also noticed that my headlights were not on, even though auto lamps was enabled.  I could turn the headlights on MANUALLY, but the auto lamps was not turning them on.  Additionally, the heated seats would not work.  AND WORST OF ALL, when I shifted into either DRIVE or REVERSE, I got NOTHING.  The vehicle would just roll as if it was in neutral!

I tried restarting a couple of times and the same outcome resulted.

So, to recap, what did I notice didn't work?

1)  After engine started, the dash cluster, infotainment system, and HVAC controls were dark until start button was pressed a SECOND time.

2)  Tachometer reads zero.
3)  Oil pressure reads zero.

4)  Coolant temperature reads incorrectly.

5)  No power steering.

6)  Traction control/Stabili-trac light is on.

7)  No forward or reverse transmission gears.

8 )  No automatic headlights, but can be turned on manually.

9)  No heated seats.

These were the issues that I NOTICED did not work.  THERE MAY HAVE BEEN MORE!  I can't say for certain as I was fairly flustered and focused on not being able to leave my parking spot.

Upon returning to the vehicle about two hours later to meet the towing company, I restarted the vehicle just for the heck of it.  And all of the problems were gone!  Totally drive-able.  Nonetheless, I had it towed to the dealer.  THERE IS NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, either!

Is anyone aware of anything remotely like these symptoms in any other case?

VIDEO OF THE PROBLEM

20200113_172717.jpg

Edited by BlaineBug

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your problem is electrical, so start from there.

Check that both battery terminals are tight and secure, then check the battery health (and rating), it must be at least 80 Amps.

Then check the main fuse box right after the battery at a pro workshop or the dealer.

Last, which more likely not the problem, is to check the alternator.

Check this diagram, that explains why you’ve got a message about the steering.

2a078f35b3b4483d48bc7ad4f403e658.jpg

Thank you for the diagram.  One of the first things I did was check the battery terminals, they weren't loose.  It makes sense that the X5OD fuse block is connected with the power steering control module and both the X50A and X51R fuse blocks.  It would be interesting to know which other functions are controlled, especially in regards to the transmission, gauge cluster, and other functions as well.  Did you have a chance to view my video?

Needless to say, after returning a few hours later to the vehicle before the tow, everything was (unfortunately) back to normal, as it was when the vehicle was delivered to the dealership.  I still elected to have it towed so that everything is documented, but if everything is working again and also without a check engine light, I'm not all that confident in a dealership's diagnostics when there isn't a problem currently.  It seems to me they like to pump them out as quick as possible.  We'll see what they have to say.  There is nothing worse than a problem that only appears sparingly.  Thank you.

Edited by BlaineBug

This bulletin seems to possibly fit your issue.  Hopefully the dealer gives it a read while its there:

#18-NA-161: Steering Jerks Or Kicks Back / Reduced Power Steering Assist / Engine Stall / No Start / Service Stabilitrak / IPC / Radio / HVAC Goes Blank Various DTCs - (Oct 11, 2019)

Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

Reduced or loss of power steering assist (only LD models equipped with electric power steering)

Steering wheel jerks or kicks back when turning

Service Stabilitrak message with warning chime

Engine stall

IPC going blank or inoperative

Radio/ICS going blank

HVAC going blank

Hood ajar message and/or dome lamps flash when shifting into reverse

Alarm sounds when locking doors or door locks cycling

Wipers continue to run for a short time after turning off and then stop/park in the incorrect location

Some technicians may find one or more of the following DTC’s set:

B1325, B124B, B124C, B127B, B127E, C0544, C0710, C0800, P0513, U0020, U0073, U0077, U0078, U0100, U0101, U0102, U0121, U0126, U0131, U0140, U0155, U0164, U0415, U0422, U0428, U0452, U1509, U150F and/or U15E1

Cause 1

This condition may be caused by battery cables with high resistance and/or loose connections at the:

Positive or negative battery cables

Battery fuse block 

Cause 2

This condition may be caused by a poor BCM ground at G218.

Cause 3

This condition may be caused by a shorted B+ Battery cable (3) at the Starter Solenoid caused by:

A loose starter shield contacting the starter battery cable terminal ring.

A starter cable ring terminal that has been mis-installed and/or rotated when installed on the starter solenoid.

Cause 4

This condition may be caused by a discharged or faulty battery.

Thank you for providing that official TSB.  However most of those symptoms have not occurred in my particular case.  Just what you see in the video, which just about none of are mentioned.

I'm hoping they'll find SOME code stored deep in some system, but as I said the check engine light was not on.

Edited by BlaineBug

In the event that anyone missed the link up there for the video:

The picture of the gauge cluster is with the truck RUNNING.  You can see that the battery voltage AND fuel gauge are accurate, but the tachometer, oil pressure, and coolant temperature are in the "off" positions, which would be inaccurate.

Edited by BlaineBug

I just had the exact same problem with my 2019 Yukon Denali why 5700 miles.   I parked and came back after about 5 minutes. I push the start button and the engine started but no lights on the dash. I hit the stat button again and everything lit up but i got all of the same errors as Blainebug. I could shift into drive but it wouldn’t move. No power steering.  After Starting and stopping about 10 times the power steering came back and I was finally able to drive. My check engine light stayed on and the transmission wouldn’t shift out of 1st. Luckily I was only 1 mile away from home. 1 hour later it starts fine and check engine light is gone. @BlaineBug please let us know what the dealer says. I have an appointment scheduled for next Tuesday. 

Don't worry, I'll report back.  I have the gut feeling that they really didn't look at it today, but I typed them up a full page "report" on what I experienced and let them know that I have a video to send them to help them along.  With that being said, I have been completely and utterly neutered with an Uzbekistan manufactured Buick Encore as a courtesy vehicle.  How one would would feel satisfied after buying one of these clown cars, I have no idea!

How long ago did you experience your issue?  I also notice that you are from Indiana.  I also notice that you are new - did you join after researching this issue and finding my post?

Edited by BlaineBug

Thank you for the diagram.  One of the first things I did was check the battery terminals, they weren't loose.  It makes sense that the X5OD fuse block is connected with the power steering control module and both the X50A and X51R fuse blocks.  It would be interesting to know which other functions are controlled, especially in regards to the transmission, gauge cluster, and other functions as well.  Did you have a chance to view my video?

Needless to say, after returning a few hours later to the vehicle before the tow, everything was (unfortunately) back to normal, as it was when the vehicle was delivered to the dealership.  I still elected to have it towed so that everything is documented, but if everything is working again and also without a check engine light, I'm not all that confident in a dealership's diagnostics when there isn't a problem currently.  It seems to me they like to pump them out as quick as possible.  We'll see what they have to say.  There is nothing worse than a problem that only appears sparingly.  Thank you.

Yes I saw the video and my reply was based on that.
Keep us updated, and I hope that problem get fixed.

4 hours ago, MikeWill said:

I just had the exact same problem with my 2019 Yukon Denali why 5700 miles.   I parked and came back after about 5 minutes. I push the start button and the engine started but no lights on the dash. I hit the stat button again and everything lit up but i got all of the same errors as Blainebug. I could shift into drive but it wouldn’t move. No power steering.  After Starting and stopping about 10 times the power steering came back and I was finally able to drive. My check engine light stayed on and the transmission wouldn’t shift out of 1st. Luckily I was only 1 mile away from home. 1 hour later it starts fine and check engine light is gone. @BlaineBug please let us know what the dealer says. I have an appointment scheduled for next Tuesday. 

I'm curious as to what code might be stored because you stated the check engine light was gone after an 1hour. I can assume the check engine light was on?

Yes while driving it home the check engine was on and transmission wouldn’t shift out of 1st gear. After getting it home I waited about an hour and started it up and the check engine light was gone and transmission shifted normal. 

I find it curious having two relatively new 2019s (MikeWill's practically brand new with less than 6,000 miles) having such a similar issue.  Hopefully GM has heard about this before, and that our cases aren't the guinea pigs for a bunch of "maybe" fixes.  I'd prefer not to lose confidence when driving places and wondering if I'll be able to leave!

11 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

Did you purchase this vehicle new?

Any chance it's a  turn in or salvage / flood vehicle?

I bought it from Carmax, it was a Hertz rental from Missouri according to the title.  Nothing negative identified on the carfax, although I know that isn't always accurate, but I did see other Carmax vehicles that had accidents reported and such.  As far as floods, all I know about water is that the windshield was leaking from down the top of glass near the passenger side during my test drive back before Thanksgiving.  Before I bought it, Carmax sent it to a local Cadillac dealership who had an automotive glass company remove the windshield and reseal it.  They said that they found the factory seal above the passenger side to be deformed.  So they re-used the windshield but applied new urethane I suppose.

So, who knows how long that leak was there, possibly since manufacture.  Besides drying out the carpet and insulation myself, I did not find any other issues.  The floorboards were pristine, no rust, which is mainly what I was concerned about.  I have the paperwork from that as well from the Cadillac dealership, although I did not deal with them personally as I was not the owner at that time.  But Carmax did save the service records so that I could keep them.

I have to believe that it was a Missouri vehicle, as the "dust" on the tailgate beneath the glass was definitely a clay color.  You know, that area on the tailgate that automatic car washes can't clean.  You need to pop the rear glass and clean it by hand.  It was a very brown, clay color, not really something you see up here in northern Indiana.  Also there was virtually no rust underneath either, which leads me to believe that it wasn't driven much at all on salted roads.  Especially for a rental vehicle that accumulated 34,000 miles in only one year.

Edited by BlaineBug

There is another forum member, Jody Robertson, who posted on Friday morning with a 2019 Suburban that sounds to have the same problem as Mike and myself do with our 2019 models.  I wonder what the heck is going on?  They mentioned that their dealer was not able to find anything wrong.  No check engine light was ever on according to them, just as it was not triggered for my ordeal as well.

Apparently the amber warning light with the car and squiggles is the stabili-trac warning light.

Edited by BlaineBug