Engine Ticking/Clicking Noise

2020AT4

Hey everyone, I picked up my 6.2L 2020 GMC Sierra AT4 about 3 or 4 months ago. I haven't gone ham on it or anything crazy, mostly just normal in town driving, a little highway driving,  and one 400 mile trip on the interstate & highway pulling an 18' enclosed trailer (just helping someone move, so the trailer wasn't heavy; just furniture and stuff, not snowmobiles or anything heavy like that). The truck only has a little over 2,000 miles on it. From the beginning I always thought the engine sounded kind of weird, had like a ticking or clicking noise to it. Everyone else told me they couldn't hear it, and said I was crazy; until yesterday one guy said it sounded like my engine had a tick. Can hear it the most once the engine is warmed up. I took it to the dealership and asked them about it. They said in older models it'd be a sign of lifters going out, but in the new models that it's normal unless it gets any louder or starts sounding more aggressive.

I'm kind of a little nervous since my brother just found out in his 2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain his fuel pump is leaking and letting gas into the oil; he first started noticing the problem when his mpg started going to crap a couple years ago, but the dealership kept telling him it was just the fuel blend in the winter time, even though it was happening year round. Finally he took it to a different mechanic (other than the dealership) and they figured out the problem really quick, and they assume it has been happening for a couple years now. Along with that they also figured out why his breaks would go out at low speeds, something with the vacuum system. To fix both problems was going to cost him about 3 grand parts & labor.

I'm hoping mine isn't a mechanical flaw like what he found in his truck, especially not this early. However, I have had to bring my truck into the shop 2 times already - once for a "service steering column" warning where they said the wiring coming unseated and they had to reseat it; and once because the infotainment system was defective and wouldn't turn on so they had to replace it; and yesterday I had a "service steering column lock" warning show up on the display, but I wasn't close enough to a dealership to bring it in so I'll have to wait for that one to pop up again.

Has anyone heard that ticking/clicking engine noise on their 2019 or 2020 Chevy or Silverado? What the is it? It just doesn't sound normal.

Edited by 2020AT4
noted the 6.2L engine

9 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Direct-injected motors are noisy. A soft clicking or ticking is totally normal. Stop worrying and enjoy your new truck.

I hope you're right. I started getting worried when I googled more and came across another post where a guy has the same problem and had to get lifters and gaskets replaced.

1 hour ago, 2020AT4 said:

I hope you're right. I started getting worried when I googled more and came across another post where a guy has the same problem and had to get lifters and gaskets replaced.

When some noise is indeed a major problem you won't have to ask, or worry, if it really is a problem......you'll know it as soon as you hear it.

Something to keep in mind when googling any issues.. Nobody goes on and writes in the forums Hey my truck is awesome, no noises or issues, running perfect....

Most of your search results will bring back issues others have looked/posted for. Im sure you're fine, just drive it. You have warranty so... You good :)

Edited by Ozer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozer said:

Something to keep in mind when googling any issues.. Nobody goes on and writes in the forums Hey my truck is awesome, no noises or issues, running perfect.... 

Most of your search results will bring back issues others have looked/posted for. Im sure you're fine, just drive it. You have warranty so... You good :)

Agree.

Actually, my truck IS awesome, no crazy or loud noises, paint or interior issues, running perfect and still does everything it did on the first day out.... And same for the  '18 Traverse and '18 Malibu......and '16 Silverado before that! Sure if I wanted, could nit pick about some nonsense, bring it to a dealer and possibly have him fiddle around and end up with a solution greater than the original problem.......but why? always starts, never stalls, shifts through all the gears, smooth with plenty of pep and excellent handling about all you can expect from a piece of machinery with thousands of parts.

31 minutes ago, nichos said:

See my post on this topic here, which includes the service bulletin:

Although, it's happening for us when the engine is cold, not hot.

Yeah, mine doesn't make the noise when it starts, or even when it's cold. It's after it warms up, even drove it about 15-20 miles @ 75mph to make sure it was warm, had another guy listen to it and he said he could definitely hear it. On my lunch break I took it to a different mechanic, pretty much the best mechanic in town; he walked right out and said it sounds normal for a direct inject engine. He said Ford's sound even worse.