In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Why won't a 2018 tonneau cover fit the new 2019/2020 trucks?

LOL, that is like asking why won't my jeans form 10 years ago fit me anymore. They changed the body, even if the box is ever so slightly different it will not work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taz56 said:

LOL, that is like asking why won't my jeans form 10 years ago fit me anymore. They changed the body, even if the box is ever so slightly different it will not work. 

Some of us are handy , others not so much so. If that pair of jeans is a size 12, common sense will tell me that There’s enough material there to make a size 10.

as far as a tonneau cover, it’s the same thing. If I can build a car from scratch, I’m sure I can modify a simple tonneau cover in an afternoon and save myself $1K.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taz56 said:

Did you not see above that several people have done it, the box dimensions are the same ??

5 minutes ago, pewterliftedz said:

Did you not see above that several people have done it, the box dimensions are the same ??

I think we both know the answer to that. But in case not, Nope, nor will I.

2-3-5 posts sure, 1-2-3 pages, no thanks. I have better things to do, here is my opinion, later. :)

Edited by Taz56
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Taz56 said:

I think we both know the answer to that. But in case not, Nope, nor will I.

2-3-5 posts sure, 1-2-3 pages, no thanks. I have better things to do, here is my opinion, later. :)

See ya! Don’t let the door slam you in the ass on the way out.

for all others, thank you for the great information. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dantech1 said:

See ya! Don’t let the door slam you in the ass on the way out.

for all others, thank you for the great information. Much appreciated.

WTF buddy.

1) Calm the hell down keyboard warrior. 

2) Was not your place to say shit, I was asked if I read the other comments and that was my reply.

Nothing negative or rude and if you thought it was, I really don't care.

Edited by Taz56

On 1/30/2020 at 3:51 PM, Taz56 said:

WTF buddy.

1) Calm the hell down keyboard warrior. 

2) Was not your place to say shit, I was asked if I read the other comments and that was my reply.

Nothing negative or rude and if you thought it was, I really don't care.

Sorry if I read your post out of context, but I’m just looking for a straight up answer. Either it fits or it doesn’t. If it doesn’t fit, I wanted to know where the fitment issue was is all .

Edited by dantech1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I guess the answer is they do fit, kinda!

They do fit perfectly as is, but to make it perfect the rear seal needs to be modified. The second picture shows a small gap and apiece of 3/4 X 3/4 aluminum I installed on the rear edge of the cover. Now that I know it's perfect, I will powder coat the aluminum to match the cover and install the new seal. Doing this allows the power tailgate to work properly.

Hopefully this post will answer any questions for anyone wanting to know if the older covers fit.

tonneau cover 1.JPG

tonneau cover 2.JPG

On 1/14/2020 at 7:01 PM, dantech1 said:

I'm leasing a 2020 AT4 for only 2 years, and don't want to waste $1K+ for a hard tri-folding tonneau cover. I can get a brand new 2018 cover for around $300, but it's for the previous body style. I've done measurements on both trucks, and both are close. What is the fitment issue? Is it because of the Multi-pro tailgate? I don't mind modifying or fabricating something to get it to fit.

Thanks for any reply.

Dan

It will fit. I have a Extang hard fold that I bought for my 2017 Chevy Silverado and we put it on a friends 2020 Silverado to see how it would fit. I just ordered my 2020 and I'm going to use it. The bottom of the box is different but the top rails are less than 1 inch different.

3 hours ago, mcgee500 said:

It will fit. I have a Extang hard fold that I bought for my 2017 Chevy Silverado and we put it on a friends 2020 Silverado to see how it would fit. I just ordered my 2020 and I'm going to use it. The bottom of the box is different but the top rails are less than 1 inch different.

The top rails are not less than an inch different, they are exactly the same. As I said in my last post, the only difference is the sealing area at the tailgate.

• Like 1