Why won't a 2018 tonneau cover fit the new 2019/2020 trucks?

On 2/27/2020 at 11:43 PM, James S said:

can you detail what you did to the rear flap at the tailgate? I have the same setup. Thanks

OK, here a few more pics. As mentioned above, they do fit as is, but the issue is the seal wanting to sit ON TOP of the tailgate. This is fine if the tonneau cover is closed AFTER the tailgate is closed, but if you try and close the tailgate without the tonneau cover open, the seal gets crushed. My fix was to remove this seal and install a 3/4 piece of aluminum with a new seal so that it gets compressed by the tailgate. It works awesome and worth the couple hours of work. I powder coated the aluminum to match the cover, and was able to source the seal from Amazon for $20.

IMG_6264.jpg

IMG_6261.jpg

IMG_6266.jpg

IMG_6269.jpg

IMG_6270.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give everyone a heads up. I installed a bak revolver x4 from a 2017 silverado ccsb on my 2019 sierra with the multi pro tailgate also a ccsb yesterday. The only mod I did was install a 1'x1/8"x4 long aluminum shim between the rails and the bed. Fits perfect now. Cant even see the spacer. 

5 minutes ago, Mora84 said:

Just to give everyone a heads up. I installed a bak revolver x4 from a 2017 silverado ccsb on my 2019 sierra with the multi pro tailgate also a ccsb yesterday. The only mod I did was install a 1'x1/8"x4 long aluminum shim between the rails and the bed. Fits perfect now. Cant even see the spacer. 

Where exactly did you put a 4’ long shim? The box sizes are identical. The only difference is the rear seal.

• 1 month later...

I just got done putting my Extang 2.0 hard fold cover from my 2017 on my 2020 Silverado and with just a little adjusting it fits like a glove. Had to put it almost to the cab with just 1/2 inch to spare. I must have asked this question 200 times and got 100 different answers but YES it will fit and the power up and down work just great.

• 8 months later...

I took the truck gear trifold cover off my 2015 Silverado 1500 short bed and installed it on new 2021 Sierra 1500 short bed.  It fits note some fine adjustment was needed to get the tailgate to open. Simply if the bed cover is too far back the tailgate will bind and not open.

• 7 months later...

Made my rough country low profile trifold fit. Had to notch the tonneau rail on the rear driver side to accommodate the factory grab handle on my 2021 TB. No big deal. Though the rear clamp that installs into the rear stake pocket will not work cause of the grab handle. Been trying to order or find a front clamp to no avail. If anyone has an extra one I’ll buy it off you. FYI the rear 2 clamps are different than the front and middle clamps.

F3ED4241-C926-4FEC-B5AD-1E0F5ADE8954.jpeg

48D284FF-2ADF-4305-B17D-4DD9E3098750.jpeg

I have the Extang trifold cover off my 2017 Silverado on my 2020 Silverado and there is less than 1/2 over hang. I had 2 dealers and the Extang dealer say it wouldn't fit it fits pretty dam good. You can see above the taillights the little bit of over hang. The biggest reason I love my cover is it locks really good and you can stand on the cover.

rearcap.PNG

• 1 year later...
On 8/13/2021 at 7:25 PM, mcgee500 said:

I have the Extang trifold cover off my 2017 Silverado on my 2020 Silverado and there is less than 1/2 over hang. I had 2 dealers and the Extang dealer say it wouldn't fit it fits pretty dam good. You can see above the taillights the little bit of over hang. The biggest reason I love my cover is it locks really good and you can stand on the cover.

rearcap.PNG

does yours leak? Also is it square from the front of the bed to the back? It must be the bed shape or body panel contour is different on the new gen. I am going to have to put some extra weather stripping on the front. Mine looks like it is leaking from the outside hinge area. Not sure why.