In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

brendon444

Horrible MPG, what’s wrong with my truck!

What can possibly be wrong with my truck. 100% stock, 22” stock tires.

averaging 12-14 mpg on the highway. This is all highway no stops, 75 mph cruise. Many trips show the same result.  Both direction neglecting wind. All the same. 

All past 6.2’s with the same driving habits get significantly better mileage. Not impressed with my 2019. Past trucks and Yukon 6.2 get 20mpg without even thinking about. 

Thought with the 10 speed and new fuel management it would be better. 

4899C16B-2EE3-43BD-95DA-925BB87353B8.jpeg

I no other trucks are getting better results as posted. So I’m not asking what you get. 

I want to know what the deal is with this specific truck. 

Does the hand calculated gas mileage match what you see there? Even though I have a 20MY with 5.3 10 speed. I posted in another forum that with the 10 speed I'm turning lower RPMs than my 16MY truck 5.3 6 speed. I'm not getting any better gas mileage though. Same driving habits and route to work.

Edited by 2016 Sierra Owner

These engines hate winter gas additives.  My truck drops from 18 MPG combined to 14 just with the gas change.

The 2019 and ups gained zero if not lost millage. They simply are bigger and higher up in the air.

So the changes to the engines from 18 to 19 only made up for the body change and basically maintained the current millage.

All though the people I know are getting slightly worse.

I will say if your truck is new these engines actually get a little better mileage when they brake in like 8000 miles

I know with my 5.3 8 speed. the difference from 65 to 70mph is from 24mpg to 20mpg.

From 70 to 75 its 20mpg to 17/18 mpg. (im also running a tonne cover)

14mpg seems low. Try running 70mph and post the difference. 

Edited by BlancoSilverado

Coolant temp in Celsius but odometer and fuel economy in MPG?

Edited by MaverickZ71

43 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Coolant temp in Celsius but odometer and fuel economy in MPG?

Good catch Maverick!

Did you buy that truck used in the USA?  Or are you located in Canada?  

Also, do you run 87 octane or 93?

42 minutes ago, newdude said:

Did you buy that truck used in the USA?  Or are you located in Canada?  

Also, do you run 87 octane or 93?

I believe with less than 2889km(1800miles) OP probably bought new.

Now did OP buy in Canada and drive it to USA? IDK.

Running at a lower RPM does not equate to better efficiency from what I have been told, contrary to what one might think.

His dash also shows 2,889 MILES, not KILOMETERS.  It is in the LCD portion of the display so should switch back and forth between miles and kilometers, unlike his coolant temperature gauge which has permanently printed text on the cluster.

Edited by BlaineBug

2 hours ago, BlancoSilverado said:

I believe with less than 2889km(1800miles) OP probably bought new.

Now did OP buy in Canada and drive it to USA? IDK.

I live in Canada. Truck bought new in Canada. I switched the display for the picture so Americans would understand haha. 

Runs 17-20 L/100km and this is on the highway for the whole tank. These tanks are so small I get horrible range. Can’t imagine towing. 

Also the picture above is using American 3.78 L to gallon. Canadians use 4.54 L per gallon, which I never use when calculating mpg and hate when ppl do. As it gives a false higher mpg. 

How big of a lift and larger tires are you running, over stock? 

How many total miles on your truck?  Does seem very low, but keep in mind winter blend has a big impact and the engines/computers are designed to run richer to a certain mileage (got this tidbit in a GM class and it matches anecdotal accounts).   I could see that improving by 4-5mpg.  My LT Trail Boss did only 16.7mpg on a 1300 mile trip this week, no so great.  

Edited by Leevon

I really wanted an 2500 HD but when I saw what the mileage ratings were I quickly opted out for a 3.0 1500. What you post sounds about right my average in my 5.2 2019 1500 was around 16 mpg.

Edited by ILSilverado