In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
LSX Z28

Extending rear view camera

Has anyone messed with the rear view camera that is mounted in the 3rd brake light that shows up in the rear view mirror? 

I thought it was kind of a stupid option, but I ended up really liking it. After months of waiting, I am finally supposed to get the cap for my truck in the next week or two. When that gets installed, it will block the camera, and make it useless. I would like to extend the wire and mount another camera to the back of the cap. However I am not finding any info on that camera and/or wiring harness yet. It appears to be 4k resolution. Any thoughts/input would be great. It still has the tailgate camera that comes on in the radio in reverse, but it would be nice to have the other one on all the time. 

The cap companies offer a camera that is mounted on the third brake light of the cap, but is low resolution and plugs in and replaces the tailgate camera. 

That is an interesting situation but a valid request to get a high quality camera installled in the truck cap since they do offer a camera option.

Which bed cap are you getting? I researched them when I bought my truck but might just stick with my tonneau cover.

I'm also interested in having a high resolution camera on the back of the cap, that shows up on the rear view mirror.  Looking for a vendor that could make that happen.

A few months ago, I made this work. I only set it up temporarily to make sure that it would work. It worked perfect, but the big issue that I expected was correct. The angle, zoom, whatever you want to call it leaves you with a huge blind spot. since the camera is set to see past the back of the truck in its normal use, when you move it to the back of the truck, it views about 8' past the truck. Since I just ran the wires on the outside of the truck, and had the camera sitting on the top of the cap, I don't have any real world driving experience to see what it is like. The biggest hurdle with doing it the way I did, would be making a bracket to mount the camera. Getting the spoiler off to access the camera was a pain too, mostly removing the headliner. The two wires I bought to extend it were GM part # 84599550 and 84335461. Below are some pictures.

The backup camera view in the dash:

Bacup camera.jpg

Camera on the back of the cap:

Mirror.thumb.jpg.bed5f046800e14bdb49635ac5070eda8.jpg

The actual distance:

Distance.thumb.jpg.8c027a7decfbcfcee2583ea846a66874.jpg

Edited by LSX Z28

I have some more pictures, but trying to figure how to upload them. I exceeded the my max size with the first three pictures. 

I have a popup camper on my truck - I’ve been wanting to relocate that rear view mirror camera for a couple months. 

Makes total sense that you’d get a big blind spot by moving it backwards like that.  

maybe I won’t bother. 

I did move the tailgate camera to the back of the camper. That was a really great idea. Unfortunately there’s no way to get that signal to the rear view without significant work behind the dash. Specifically you’d have to get that camera wired directly to the rear view - plus none of the cameras work on the dash if one is disconnected so you’d have to replace the one you removed. 

Sounds like a lot of work. 

Thanks for posting 

Edited by blamkin86

I wish GM gave the ability for a cap/tailgate/camper or trailer mounted camera on the rear view camera.  The number of times I have so much stuff inside the cab I can't see is 10% of the times something in the bed or trailer obscures the rear view.  I'd rather use the 8" screen for Google Maps than camera views.  Maybe when they switch to the giant touchscreens I can see TTPMS, Nav, and rear view at the same time?

13 minutes ago, sdelam said:

From what I can tell in the picture, it looks like the right plug, and may work. The biggest issue I can see without spending the money on it, is the resolution. From what I have found, the backup camera in the tailgate is like 720 or 1080 resolution, whereas the rear view mirror camera is around 4k resolution. 

Following an checking into options.  The rear view mirror camera is the one I want as well.  Ideally, I'd like to get a high resultion camera that can connect to the one of the two camera leads at the back of my 2020 intended for a rear trailer camera.  If it also showed through the mirror, that would be the ultimate.  There are two plugs the other intended for inside a trailer.  ANyone know about these plugs?

On 1/15/2020 at 12:30 PM, LSX Z28 said:

Has anyone messed with the rear view camera that is mounted in the 3rd brake light that shows up in the rear view mirror? 

I thought it was kind of a stupid option, but I ended up really liking it. After months of waiting, I am finally supposed to get the cap for my truck in the next week or two. When that gets installed, it will block the camera, and make it useless. I would like to extend the wire and mount another camera to the back of the cap. However I am not finding any info on that camera and/or wiring harness yet. It appears to be 4k resolution. Any thoughts/input would be great. It still has the tailgate camera that comes on in the radio in reverse, but it would be nice to have the other one on all the time. 

The cap companies offer a camera that is mounted on the third brake light of the cap, but is low resolution and plugs in and replaces the tailgate camera. 

You can find a plethora of information on the GM up fitters web site, https://www.gmupfitter.com/pages/technical-bulletins

On this very topic see the link here, they make a specific part kit, https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/1467/UI Bulletin_152d WIP.pdf

Chuck

On 9/27/2020 at 8:38 AM, Gecko50 said:

You can find a plethora of information on the GM up fitters web site, https://www.gmupfitter.com/pages/technical-bulletins

On this very topic see the link here, they make a specific part kit, https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/1467/UI Bulletin_152d WIP.pdf

Chuck

Thanks, this appears to be specific to relocating the backup camera (mounted 38" high, etc) located in the tailgate, but not the 'rear mirror camera' which displays in the overhead rear view.

The aftermarket has to be able to come up with a solution that simply can be spliced into the wires running through the headliner.  Lots of folks running caps/campers, etc that could really benefit from this.  Having a digital rear mirror camera would be amazing - too bad the stock one can't be simply relocated due to that 8 foot offset.

I’d like to do the same thing.  I have a 2018 traverse with the rear view mirror camera option.  The camera is on the tailgate and works great.  I wonder if the traverse camera could be mounted above the window of the cap and plugged into the harness to replace the bed camera.  Since it’s already mounted on the tailgate of the traverse it doesn’t have the 8 ft offset you are referring to.  Not having the wiring info does anyone have the plugin wiring info for the Silverado rear view mirror camera?  I have a strong suspicion the traverse camera would work.

Just wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone has come up or seen a solution to this yet. I really want to get a cap for my new truck but didn’t realize how much better the driving experience is with the rear view camera on my Sierra. 

I also was curious if any one figured this out just got new at4 and want cap but don’t want to loose mirror camera view. Any solutions yet? Thanks for any response