Swap 2019 5.3 into a 09 sierra?

Hey Guys,

I have the opportunity to pick up a 2019 5.3 engine & transmission with 20k miles on it fairly cheap. I have an 09 sierra that I'd like to swap it into, currently running a stock 5.3. My question is:  Is it a big deal to make a change between years like that? I've replaced engines before in older trucks but never with this type of age difference, I don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks!

Yes, it's a big deal.

Literally nothing is the same between those two engine generations. The engine is different, transmission, wiring harness, every computer, all body wiring including fuse blocks. Non of your interior cluster will work and you'll lose all ABS/tractions control and likely BCM functions. Fuel system is not the same either. Port fuel injection vs the new direct injection.

In short, skip this idea entirely.

• Like 1

Yeah, you want to find one more close to your engine.  It doesn't necessarily have to be exactly the same, you can swap intakes/sensors from your old engine to the new one if necessary.  I know with at least some of the GMT800 engines, you could do this as GM rejigged the fuel system and the electrical sensors midway through the generation.

Edited by davester