I was set on a 2500, but now considering a 3500

My ‘19 1500 should be officially sold in about a week or two so I’ve been starting to look closer at availability of 2500’s that fit my color/feature requirements.

One of the dealers I’ve been talking to called me today to say they have a truck with basically everything I want, but it was a 3500.

I read an earlier post where someone was asking about the differences and sounds like they are for the most part identical.

I was concerned that with the higher payload support it would be a harsher ride but it felt great when I drove it.

I’m seeing some VERY close pricing on similarly equipped after any rebates/discounts.

So, assuming same features, any reason I’m maybe not considering to get a 3500 for the same price instead?

I’ll just add that a 2500 more than fits my needs. But if a 3500 is an option for me too then that opens up more negations I can have.

The only thing that is different is the suspension and payload ....I was told it is a rougher ride if not loaded so didn't do it

Price was really close for 2500 and 3500 with same options

Did u test drive the 2500 as well??

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The only thing that is different is the suspension and payload ....I was told it is a rougher ride if not loaded so didn't do it

Price was really close for 2500 and 3500 with same options

Did u test drive the 2500 as well??

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

It may be, it makes sense that it would be with the higher payload. It didn’t feel harsh but that could just be some of the initial excitement playing a role too.

I test drove a 2500 a couple weeks ago, I need to go to a dealer and test drive them side by side to really tell the difference.

I have AT LEAST 2 weeks before I’ll be ready to buy so have time to see what’s best for me.

My 19 truck is a little rougher than the 11 truck was, but I knew that it would be going into the deal and don't care about a car like ride.  Speed bumps can be bad if you hit them to hard, but for the bigger payload it has worked out good for me.  My 11 truck would squat about 2-2.5 inches when hooked to my 32 foot cargo trailer and the 19 only goes down about 1 inch with the same trailer and more weight in it.  :jester:

• Like 2

I wouldn’t compare any prior year to the 2020 version, the 20’s are much smoother overall.  I have a 2020 2500 and the dealer gave me a 2020 3500 loaner when my truck was in for service.  Very little difference in ride between them,..  The 2020 3500 loaner I had drove smoother than my 2017 2500 High Country did..noticeably smoother.  I don’t think you’d be unhappy at all with the 3500, unless you drive the 2500 and 3500 back to back, hard to tell any ride difference.  Maybe on a super rough road you might but I think it would be splitting hairs..   Makes me wonder with they even make both in an SRW..I’m sure there’s a reason..

• Like 2

I have a 2020 GMC 3500 Duramax after having a 2016 Chevy 2500 Duramax and I think the 2020 rides just as smooth if not better than the 2016. I don't think the ride should be your concern.

• Like 3

From what I have read the 2020 3500s have a bigger ring gear and full torque in first gear.  The 2500s are torque-managed in first gear.  And the ride in all the 2020s HDs has improved.  I don't  see any good reason to get a 2500 unless your state has specific registration or licensing advantages by getting a 2500 over a 3500.  

• Like 2

From what I have read the 2020 3500s have a bigger ring gear and full torque in first gear.  The 2500s are torque-managed in first gear.  And the ride in all the 2020s HDs has improved.  I don't  see any good reason to get a 2500 unless your state has specific registration or licensing advantages by getting a 2500 over a 3500.  

Thank you everyone, I didn’t even think about different registration costs, potentially.
@jjackkrash now that you mention I’m that I do remember reading that about the ring gear size and full torque in first.

As for insurance, I’ve already gotten quotes on what it would be to replace my 1500 with a 2500 and a 3500 and the price was negligible, maybe an extra $30 over 6-months. But I’ll need to look into any registration/licensing requirements in Oregon.

I’ve heard from many now that, as you’ve all mentioned, you can’t compare them to the previous gen as they are all much smoother and comfortable. As I mentioned, I thought the 3500 felt fine, and I purposely went both fast and slow over train tracks and pot holes, didn’t have the chance to go over any speed bumps.

But now I’m really curious about the ride quality unloaded between the 2500 and 3500 and if I can tell a difference so I’m definitely going to test drive them back to back.

But it’s looking like if I can find similar pricing then the 3500 is sounding more and more like an option.

1 hour ago, jjackkrash said:

The torque in 1st gear thing is quite conflicting.  Nowhere in GM's press releases does it state that only the 1 ton is tuned accordingly.  Its listed as Silverado HD, not a 2500 or 3500, but HD as a whole.  

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/silveradohd/2020.html

“The 6.6L V-8 Duramax diesel and Allison® transmission is a legendary combination in the HD truck market with proven durability and capability that our customers expect,” said West. “For 2020, we made the combination even better and upgraded nearly every driveline component. As a result, we deliver all 910 lb-ft of torque to the ground in first gear.”

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

I don’t think the torque management in first gear is any different between the two.  From my research the only difference is the rear springs..Now if you’re comparing a gas 2500 to 3500 there might be more differences.

it used to be in MN that the license was actually cheaper on the 3500.  Now that the 2500 is actually rated higher than the previous gen 3500, the license cost is the same. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, newdude said:

The torque in 1st gear thing is quite conflicting.  Nowhere in GM's press releases does it state that only the 1 ton is tuned accordingly.  Its listed as Silverado HD, not a 2500 or 3500, but HD as a whole.  

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/silveradohd/2020.html

Your link shows that the ring gear on the 3500 diesel is 12", but it is 11.5" on the 2500 and the 3500 gasser.  I have seen conflicting reports suggesting that the 12" ring gear is required to get full torque in first gear, but I can't say I know for sure one way or the other.  

This link, for example, strongly suggests full torque in first gear is available only on then 3500s:

https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/sierra-heavy-duty-purpose-built-to-trailer-like-pro

"This upgraded driveline includes new, larger, more robust front and rear axles, a standard 11.5-inch ring gear on 2500HD models, and a massive 12-inch ring gear on 3500HD diesel models. Additionally, the Sierra 3500HD does not need to limit torque in first gear, allowing it to transmit all of its trailer-pulling power to the wheels from a standing start."

3500 has no torque limiting while the 2500 has some mild limiting due to 11.5" vs 12" ring gear difference.  Both trucks start in second gear when not in tow haul.

For ride, the front suspensions are identical between 2500 and 3500.  Tire pressure (70 to 80), rear shock with more rebound force, and leaf spring pack.  Unloaded, the first stage spring rate is equal between the two but the second stage engages quicker.

Both trucks ride pretty good.  The rear is a little firmer on 3500 but some guys like the 3500 better.  3500s are a little worse for freeway hop due to the increased shock forces.

#iworkforGM 

• Like 2

Not sure what your build is so I'm going to assume standard bed, 4WD, crew cab, diesel Denali.

I'll just mention some info regarding payload capacity and towing a 5th wheel.

5th wheels can have as much as 25% of their weight on the pin.

My 16,000 lb 5th whl can have as much as 4,000 lbs on the pin.

Payloads are 3,563 lbs (2500HD with 18" or 20" wheels), 4,185 lbs (3500HD SRW) and 5,607 lbs (3500HD DRW with long bed).

2500HD is out the window.

Now put 2 people in (at least 300 lbs), gear, etc and the 3500HD is also out the window by exceeding the payload.

What you put in (people, beer, camping gear, etc.) can go over 1,000 lbs really quickly.

I was surprised at this when I started truck shopping and becomes really important when the road cops start weighing your rig on the highway.

Like I mentioned above, not sure of your requirements for a truck but I thought this might be helpful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTU Alum said:

3500 has no torque limiting while the 2500 has some mild limiting due to 11.5" vs 12" ring gear difference.  Both trucks start in second gear when not in tow haul.

For ride, the front suspensions are identical between 2500 and 3500.  Tire pressure (70 to 80), rear shock with more rebound force, and leaf spring pack.  Unloaded, the first stage spring rate is equal between the two but the second stage engages quicker.

Both trucks ride pretty good.  The rear is a little firmer on 3500 but some guys like the 3500 better.  3500s are a little worse for freeway hop due to the increased shock forces.

#iworkforGM 

Thanks for this additional info, this falls inline with what the dealership yesterday told me but in more detail, so thanks! So I drove the 3500 yesterday and I drove another 2500 today, while not truly "back-to-back" they felt VERY similar and both perfectly comfortable. I had custom adjustable shocks made by Icon for my 1500 and I'd be doing something similar for the next truck, so as far as any shock differences, that will be an easy fix with adjustability depending on whether I'm unloaded or towing/hauling. 

41 minutes ago, Sask Farmboy said:

Not sure what your build is so I'm going to assume standard bed, 4WD, crew cab, diesel Denali.

I'll just mention some info regarding payload capacity and towing a 5th wheel.

5th wheels can have as much as 25% of their weight on the pin.

My 16,000 lb 5th whl can have as much as 4,000 lbs on the pin.

Payloads are 3,563 lbs (2500HD with 18" or 20" wheels), 4,185 lbs (3500HD SRW) and 5,607 lbs (3500HD DRW with long bed).

2500HD is out the window.

Now put 2 people in (at least 300 lbs), gear, etc and the 3500HD is also out the window by exceeding the payload.

What you put in (people, beer, camping gear, etc.) can go over 1,000 lbs really quickly.

I was surprised at this when I started truck shopping and becomes really important when the road cops start weighing your rig on the highway.

Like I mentioned above, not sure of your requirements for a truck but I thought this might be helpful.

While I'm not, and don't plan to, tow a 5th wheel now or in the near future.. I appreciate this info. I'd rather have more info than I need than not enough. But yes that's basically my standard build but Silverado High Country, not a Denali. Additional features are more color options etc so unrelated to vehicle capability. I think I mentioned it above but I'm 100% certain the 2500 is more than capable to suit my needs, so the 3500 just adds that extra room for growth for whatever the future brings.

I'm now fairly certain I'll go for the 3500 given that the ride felt great to me, and current discussions have shown pricing to be similar for my area.