I was set on a 2500, but now considering a 3500

I agree with what others are saying, for a 5th wheel definitely go for the 3500!!

I ordered my 3500 before even considering a large 5th wheel, now I’m looking at ordering a 5th wheel toy hauler and I’m so glad I went with the 3500.

A lot of these 5th wheels can easily push into dually territory really quick, especially with pin weight/payload.

Not to say it can’t be done with a 2500, all depends on the size of the trailer and expected pin weights.

I would do some research on different 5th wheels styles you’re interested in now then get the numbers to make sure you’re safe. Also new in mind the numbers posted on manufacturers websites will always be less since that’s unloaded numbers and without any additional options you may or may not add.

I’ve learned a ton about this in the last two weeks haha.

So make sure what you want wouldn’t need a dually, or of course just make sure what you get is within your trucks capacity.

I’m in the same boat as you though where I want unloaded ride quality to be good since I’m not towing 100% of the time. I test drive the 2500 and 3500 back to back (on different days) and for me they were very similar and I was quite happy with the 3500 ride quality. It’s nothing like previous years I’ve heard was quite different.

3 hours ago, FirstAscent said:

...I’m in the same boat as you though where I want unloaded ride quality to be good since I’m not towing 100% of the time. I test drive the 2500 and 3500 back to back (on different days) and for me they were very similar and I was quite happy with the 3500 ride quality. It’s nothing like previous years I’ve heard was quite different.

Thanks much for the replies on ride quality of 2500 vs. 3500. From research I've done thus far, GM's 3500 seem to have the best ride when compared to equal Ford and RAM trucks. For those with 3500's, did you happen to test drive comparable trucks from Ford and RAM? RAM offers the additional air suspension on 3500 trucks that adds air leveling in addition to existing leaf springs, but those are hard to find (at least locally) and I've not been able to test drive one. While I plan to test both Ford and RAM, I'm thinking that the GM's will be hard to beat for unloaded ride quality. I tested a 2500HD CC regular box a week or so back, and could not believe how nice the unloaded ride was!

• Like 2