I bought a1999 GMC Sierra  1500 

4x4 truck about 6 months ago 

I’ve been working on it a lot 

ive done put 2200 into it

i want to get it into tip/top shape 

so I know it’s going to take a lot more money than what I already spent 

but at the moment I’m short on funds and can’t afford to change every piece 

this is what’s going on 

two days ago my truck started shaking in the front driver side and I hear a knock every now and again 

I jacked it up and I can move the tire all over the place 

is that the hub 

or tie rod 

check your tie rods and ball joints to be sure but if those check out its most likely your hub. Wouldn’t drive on it if it has already failed. Find your parts on Amazon or rockauto. How many miles are on the truck?? 

Try pushing/pulling the wheel at 6 &12,and see if the wheel rocks much.  And when pushing/pulling at 3 & 9, look at the tie rod and see how much play is in that joint, or if the whole joint just moves as you move the wheel.

And don't forget to use the 5% discount code on rockauto.

And after figuring out what specific parts (brand & part number), search ebay & amazon as well as multiple parts sites to see what's cheapest (including shipping), and how close those prices are to local parts store prices.

I try to plan the work I do on my truck, so I can order the parts ahead of time, as they can be WAY cheaper (30-50%) and/or a better brand compared with parts available locally...

Edited by davester

9 minutes ago, 04z71crew said:

check your tie rods and ball joints to be sure but if those check out its most likely your hub. Wouldn’t drive on it if it has already failed. Find your parts on Amazon or rockauto. How many miles are on the truck?? 

Not sure of miles on the motor the truck shows 250,000  it’s not the original motor 

it’s a V-6 4.3 liter 

it has the spider injectors in it

13 minutes ago, 04z71crew said:

With that kind of mileage I would thoroughly inspect all the front end parts to be safe and plan accordingly. Your hub is probably toast if its the original or even a replacement done 100k miles ago. Provided you have the tools its not a very difficult job. 

3 hours ago, 04z71crew said:

With that kind of mileage I would thoroughly inspect all the front end parts to be safe and plan accordingly. Your hub is probably toast if its the original or even a replacement done 100k miles ago. Provided you have the tools its not a very difficult job. 

Thanks I do have the tools 

I figured it was my hub just wasn’t sure

3 hours ago, 04z71crew said: