A Heads Up On Transmissions Read Hear Before Buying/Ordering

If you have the opportunity to order or buy a truck with the 10 speed DO IT!  Spend the extra money or get the diesel option as I did it’s worth it.

After having my 2019 repurchased by GM for the 2WD jingle squeal issue from the front axels I chose a 3.0L diesel that automatically comes with the 10 speed. I do believe the 10 speed can now be ordered with the gas engine on LT and a couple other models for 2020 as an extra cost option. Just do yourself a favor and get the 10 speed you won’t regret it. It’s just so much better and smoother than the 8 speed it’s not even funny.

• Like 4

The 10-speed is an excellent transmission.  A Friend of mine has a platinum Eco-Boost with the 10-speed that we have driven numerous times on a 10 hour trip.  When I got my 19 with the 6.2 and the NHT gearing I couldn’t believe the difference and improvement.  I believe with the 5.3 it is an even bigger improvement.  I have yet to feel a single questionable shift.  Only thing I would like is an Eco mode option in the shifting profiles with Sport and tow/haul.  

14 minutes ago, wacko said:

The 10-speed is an excellent transmission.  A Friend of mine has a platinum Eco-Boost with the 10-speed that we have driven numerous times on a 10 hour trip.  When I got my 19 with the 6.2 and the NHT gearing I couldn’t believe the difference and improvement.  I believe with the 5.3 it is an even bigger improvement.  I have yet to feel a single questionable shift.  Only thing I would like is an Eco mode option in the shifting profiles with Sport and tow/haul.  

I agree and there is no sense getting stuck with the 8 speed if you can avoid it. I’m thinking eventually the 8 speed will be dropped in the near future and the 10 speed will then reign.

Edited by ILSilverado

2 hours ago, ILSilverado said:

I agree and there is no sense getting stuck with the 8 speed if you can avoid it. I’m thinking eventually the 8 speed will be dropped in the near future and the 10 speed will then reign.

I agree there should be a heads up on transmissions (and engines) before ordering. So here's my .02 on this.

Much more likely that the 6 speed AFM V8 will be dumped once existing stock is gone rather than the than the 8 speed DFM V8. Seems GM appears to have their act together with the newer 8 speeds that come stock with Mobil1 LVHP instead of that hydroscopic Dextron. No complaints with my newer rev. post 3/19 production 8 speed and I save mucho bucks using regular gas instead of more expensive diesel, not to mention the cost of hundreds of gallons of DEF and standing outside in freezing weather like a goofball hand pouring DEF into the second gas tank.

Instead of pissing away another $3500-$4000 (press release says $2495 - maybe they should check out the MSRPs on their website) in a GM diesel I6 10 speed go for the V8 with the post 3/19 8 speed. Plus you'll save a lifetime and the added expense of another $.40 - .50/gal for diesel and expense and hand pouring hundreds gallons of DEF into the second fuel tank. Does it make sense to get better mileage and then have to spend more for each gallon of fuel? And no way an I6 diesel, or even an I6 gas engine is as smooth as a V8.

For those that insist on a 10 speed, same amount of money gets the more powerful 6.2 V8. For those that want to save the $3-4K to buy some cookies. And with those bucks you can buy plenty of options for the truck, perhaps even surprise your partner with a nice gift (who is equipped to provide a lot more satisfaction than you're gonna get from that diesel!). To avoid any hassles with the previous 8 speed hassle check the door sticker for post 3/19 production which contains the later rev.of the 8 speed (RPO code- MQE TRANSMISSION, 8-SPEED AUTOMATIC ) that comes prefilled with the new Mobil 1 juice and while you're at it also the GM manufactured front axle (RPO code- F48 - CHASSIS DRIVE LINE-FOUR WHEEL DRIVE(4WD) FWI - PLANT CODE FT WAYNE, IN, USA) that doesn't jingle like the alternative from a non GM aftermarket supplier.

And it's a GM diesel - we are not talking about a Cummins quality diesel -, but a newly designed GM diesel with a crap load of emissions equipment including sucking DEF along with diesel. Last innovative attempts by GM to stick a newly designed diesel in a car resulted in the POS they dumped into Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs....after 3 years of ownership they were as desirable as and worth less than a Yugo. Apparently GM has waited until that generation owners and designers is mostly gone and the angst forgotten, but I can still hear my uncle cursing every time we would annoy him ask about his GM diesel which soon cost him plenty of bucks to rip out and replace with a gas retrofit. And hope potential diesel owners have a warm garage and not parking them outside in really cold weather without first dumping in plenty of kerosene or fuel thinner. Because they can be a b*tch to start, if even possible, once the diesel fuel waxes in the lines, a real b*tch! And there's always the added bonus that diesel fuel can cause serious damage to your car's paint job, tires also,  if left unwashed.

Might want to research this a little further before throwing money away.....plenty of info just Google "waxing of diesel fuel" and "effects of diesel fuel on paint"......might also want to check out what happens to your diesel ride if your DEF tank runs dry.

Edited by Thomcat
grammar
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

I agree there should be a heads up on transmissions (and engines) before ordering. So here's my .02 on this.

Much more likely that the 6 speed AFM V8 will be dumped once existing stock is gone rather than the than the 8 speed DFM V8. Seems GM appears to have their act together with the newer 8 speeds that come stock with Mobil1 LVHP instead of that hydroscopic Dextron. No complaints with my newer rev. post 3/19 production 8 speed and I save mucho bucks using regular gas instead of more expensive diesel, not to mention the cost of hundreds of gallons of DEF and standing outside in freezing weather like a goofball hand pouring DEF into the second gas tank.

Instead of pissing away another $3500-$4000 (press release says $2495 - maybe they should check out the MSRPs on their website) in a GM diesel I6 10 speed go for the V8 with the post 3/19 8 speed. Plus you'll save a lifetime and the added expense of another $.40 - .50/gal for diesel and expense and hand pouring hundreds gallons of DEF into the second fuel tank. Does it make sense to get better mileage and then have to spend more for each gallon of fuel? And no way an I6 diesel, or even an I6 gas engine is as smooth as a V8.

For those that insist on a 10 speed, same amount of money gets the more powerful 6.2 V8. For those that want to save the $3-4K to buy some cookies. And with those bucks you can buy plenty of options for the truck, perhaps even surprise your partner with a nice gift (who is equipped to provide a lot more satisfaction than you're gonna get from that diesel!). To avoid any hassles with the previous 8 speed hassle check the door sticker for post 3/19 production which contains the later rev.of the 8 speed (RPO code- MQE TRANSMISSION, 8-SPEED AUTOMATIC ) that comes prefilled with the new Mobil 1 juice and while you're at it also the GM manufactured front axle (RPO code- F48 - CHASSIS DRIVE LINE-FOUR WHEEL DRIVE(4WD) FWI - PLANT CODE FT WAYNE, IN, USA) that doesn't jingle like the alternative from a non GM aftermarket supplier.

And it's a GM diesel - we are not talking about a Cummins quality diesel -, but a newly designed GM diesel with a crap load of emissions equipment including sucking DEF along with diesel. Last innovative attempts by GM to stick a newly designed diesel in a car resulted in the POS they dumped into Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs....after 3 years of ownership they were as desirable as and worth less than a Yugo. Apparently GM has waited until that generation owners and designers is mostly gone and the angst forgotten, but I can still hear my uncle cursing every time we would annoy him ask about his GM diesel which soon cost him plenty of bucks to rip out and replace with a gas retrofit. And hope potential diesel owners have a warm garage and not parking them outside in really cold weather without first dumping in plenty of kerosene or fuel thinner. Because they can be a b*tch to start, if even possible, once the diesel fuel waxes in the lines, a real b*tch! And there's always the added bonus that diesel fuel can cause serious damage to your car's paint job, tires also,  if left unwashed.

Might want to research this a little further before throwing money away.....plenty of info just Google "waxing of diesel fuel" and "effects of diesel fuel on paint"......might also want to check out what happens to your diesel ride if your DEF tank runs dry.

Ahhh but I’m getting almost 30 mpg with the 3.0 that’s almost 100% better mileage than GMs gasoline offerings with the 8 speed. I was on average of 16 mpg with my 2019 and the 5.2 V8 mated to the A8. I’ll make sure I don’t paint my truck with diesel fuel, thanks for the advice.

Edited by ILSilverado
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Sorry if this is hi-jacking the thread.  My RST 8-speed has a production date of 2/19.  So most likely it is not pre-filled with new Mobil 1 ATF.   I don’t have any major issues with it as long as I remote start especially in the winter.   Question is, do I go to the dealer and have them drain and put the new Mobil 1 ATF?   

Normally I go for if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it was me I'd go for it......this is a personal decision if the dealer is willing to do it without symptoms.

Shouldn't be any downside if there are no existing problems and no worse than a normal fluid change, Only downside is it may not correct an existing, but shouldn't cause any problems if none exist. They did change fluid for a good reason change fluids for a good reason to the point opf providing specialized equipment and procedures to assure a 100% swap.

Dealer may not go for it without symptoms just like they didn't go for a prophylactic TSB change of the redesigned valve cover and install a shield over my AFM discharge valve in my '07 low mileage Avalanche to prevent oil burning before it clogged the AFM cylinder rings while still under warranty.....if still around that unmodified vehicle is likely burning a lot of oil.

4 hours ago, SilveradoRST said:

Sorry if this is hi-jacking the thread.  My RST 8-speed has a production date of 2/19.  So most likely it is not pre-filled with new Mobil 1 ATF.   I don’t have any major issues with it as long as I remote start especially in the winter.   Question is, do I go to the dealer and have them drain and put the new Mobil 1 ATF?   

Like mentioned above you might try telling service that you feel the trans shudder at around 1500 rpms and hopefully they will offer you the fluid change.

20 hours ago, Thomcat said:

The press release says $2495 because that’s what it costs over the 5.3. 

A reliable GM diesel you ask about? The Duramax has been a staple in the GM brand now for what 17, 18 years. Did you forget to take your meds before you posted this? 

Plus in many places diesel is within a couple cents of gas (like mine) and there’s times it’s the same price or cheaper. Just because you don’t want the 3.0 doesn’t mean it sucks and it couldn’t be a god option for other people. 

Edited by spizike9
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Or go for a Sierra and get the 5.3 with the 10 speed.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ILSilverado said:

Like mentioned above you might try telling service that you feel the trans shudder at around 1500 rpms and hopefully they will offer you the fluid change.

I have a late 2018 build date on my 2019 Sierra, 5.3 8 speed.

Don’t have any shutter issues but do get a clunk every now and then.

Plus if there’s reported issues with the old fluid I’d like to see it replaced.

Has anyone done the fluid swap?

Issues?

Are dealers able to completely flush out the old fluid? Can’t imagine mixing two different fluids would be good!

11 hours ago, spizike9 said:

The press release says $2495 because that’s what it costs over the 5.3. 

A reliable GM diesel you ask about? The Duramax has been a staple in the GM brand now for what 17, 18 years. Did you forget to take your meds before you posted this? 

Plus in many places diesel is within a couple cents of gas (like mine) and there’s times it’s the same price or cheaper. Just because you don’t want the 3.0 doesn’t mean it sucks and it couldn’t be a god option for other people. 

Looks like you're the one taking the meds and they ain't exactly Rx. Diesel here is .50 over regular and diesel hasn't been cheaper than gasoline since the '74 fuel crisis. Just because an engine has a Duramax name doesn't mean it bears any long term reliability associated with predecessors of the same name which bear no physical resemblance to their progeny other than sharing the same name. This tiny turbo 3.0L was introduced this year as a NEW engine. Evidently something about the word new confuses you. This might help to clarify the matter:

http://www.dieselhub.com/halfton/3.0l-duramax-lm2.html

Note in particular the phrase: :" the new 3.0L Duramax has yet to be proven...."

And evidently your math needs a little brushing up also just work up one on the Chevy website for a 5.3 vs 3.0: And $50,030 - $45,090 = $4940 not $2495, the latter apparently being published to rope in buyers.

RST

2.7L Turbo engine
8-speed automatic transmission
MSRP from $43,695
MSRP excludes tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment. See dealer for detail

5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine with DFM
MSRP from $45,090
MSRP excludes tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment. See dealer for detail

6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine
10-speed automatic transmission
MSRP from $46,585
MSRP excludes tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment. See dealer for details.

3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel I6 engine
MSRP from $50,030

And my uncle thought the new GM V8 diesel in his Caddy was great for the first year or so - until it bit him in the a$$. I'm going to test out the theory and let's see if I can similarly bestow the same Duramax brand name reliability on a totally different in engine my lawn tractor.
DSCN0631.JPG.5eefd45459ad5036b073f6a5fb82681b.JPG

Edited by Thomcat

On 1/19/2020 at 6:52 PM, Thomcat said:

Looks like you're the one taking the meds and they ain't exactly Rx. Diesel here is .50 over regular and diesel hasn't been cheaper than gasoline since the '74 fuel crisis. Just because an engine has a Duramax name doesn't mean it bears any long term reliability associated with predecessors of the same name which bear no physical resemblance to their progeny other than sharing the same name. This tiny turbo 3.0L was introduced this year as a NEW engine. Evidently something about the word new confuses you. This might help to clarify the matter:

http://www.dieselhub.com/halfton/3.0l-duramax-lm2.html

Note in particular the phrase: :" the new 3.0L Duramax has yet to be proven...."

And evidently your math needs a little brushing up also just work up one on the Chevy website for a 5.3 vs 3.0: And $50,030 - $45,090 = $4940 not $2495, the latter apparently being published to rope in buyers.

RST

2.7L Turbo engine
MSRP from $43,695

5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine with DFM
MSRP from $45,090

6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine
MSRP from $46,585
MSRP excludes tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment. See dealer for details.

3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel I6 engine
MSRP from $50,030

And my uncle thought the new GM V8 diesel in his Caddy was great for the first year or so - until it bit him in the a$$. I'm going to test out the theory and let's see if I can similarly bestow the same Duramax brand name reliability on a totally different in engine my lawn tractor.
DSCN0631.JPG.5eefd45459ad5036b073f6a5fb82681b.JPG

Tomcat again you do realize there are other trim levels other than the RST? I mean heaven forbid someone want a truck that isn’t a quad cab with a super cool “sport bar”, edgy pinstripe and all the off road lights one could hope to have with 22” wheels. 

In the SLT trim the Duramax is a 2495 option same as the Elevation, AT4 and Denali. 

Yes I understand that this is a new engine and it’s not proven yet. It could be a complete turd. We won’t know for a few years. But you also can’t say it’s unreliable 

3.0 isn’t for you and that’s OK. But stop with your negativity about it and diesel in general. Not everyone lives where it’s -30F. Do the new emissions suck? Yeah they sure do but it is what it is. Currently where I live diesel is .08 more than premium and .30 more than 87 octane. So if someone was cross shipping the 6.2 and the 3.0 the 3.0 would be much cheaper as a DD. If they were cross shopping  the 5.3, not so much. But they would get more tq and the 10 speed which some people might want or need. 

ETA: today when I got gas there was a .20 difference between 87 and diesel and there was no price difference in premium and diesel. 

Edited by spizike9
  • Like 1