6L80 w/ ZL1 torque converter + sonnax kit + steel clutches

Hey all, after the 4th powertrain warranty covered rear end rebuild, I was recently diagnosed with a slipping TC and more than likely, valve damage. Nursing it along for a few more thousand miles. GM offered me $750 off the repair which I declined ($2700 for partial rebuild using OEM parts). 

Here's the plan: ZL1 TC, Sonnax upgraded guts + steel clutches. 

ZL1 is an approx 200RPM higher stall than OEM silverado. 3 bolts vs 6 bolts. Happy to 600whp. Work getting done in the next 4-weeks, will update with results afterward!

Should keep the trans good for the next 150k miles. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not planning on adding on too much more power over stock. May do a mild bumpstick and exhaust work but nothing crazy. What makes you think the zl1 tune is going to do you any good? I'd go for a full trans tune custom to the 6l80 versus an oem 6l90 tune. 

^^^^ agreed  The ZL1 trans tune is set up for a 3700 pound car and 675 horse power.  The shift point would be so far off if you used it.  It's a pretty simple copy and paste in HP tuner.  But again it would be way off. 

i recently drove with a zl1 in stop and go traffic, I'm not sure I would use that torque converter, on the street truck, I have no idea if the zl1 tune would be worse than the truck tune, I'm just trying to source the trans tune file right now.. want to look at it and compare the two

I'll ask around on hpt forum

Edited by flyingfool

The HP tuner repository has several 16 SS automatic files.  I found a 17 ZL1 automatic but it's the 10 speed.

What year did you drive?

There have been several guys on Performancetrucks.net that run a ZL1 torque converters and have been very happy with it in there 6L80e

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2020 at 8:25 AM, JONBLARC7 said:

I doesn't look like any DI camaro came with a 6 speed automatic.  You have to go back to a 2015 to get a 6peed and that has a L99 in it.

cool that's what i'm looking for! 

2010-2015 Camaro has either a M6 or A6

2016-2019 Camaro SS has the M6 or A8
2017-2020 Camaro ZL1 has the M6 or A10

2020 Camaro SS has the M6 or A10

• Like 1

• 1 month later...