KO2’s Continue to impress me

I really disliked the BFG AT all my life, then GM threw a set of the newer KO2 on my 2018 HD when I bought it and I am really enjoying them so far. 265 section with 500L of diesel onboard and the truck walks anywhere in 2wd in the snow and will plow with the bumpers in 4x4. If you get stuck its only because you are hung up. Very good traction. I would say I have used up 70% of their life in 40,000km (25,000mi), they will be shot mid summer but HD trucks are much harder on tires than a half ton. Will probably get another set or go to a Yokohama later.

• Like 1

I really disliked the BFG AT all my life, then GM threw a set of the newer KO2 on my 2018 HD when I bought it and I am really enjoying them so far. 265 section with 500L of diesel onboard and the truck walks anywhere in 2wd in the snow and will plow with the bumpers in 4x4. If you get stuck its only because you are hung up. Very good traction. I would say I have used up 70% of their life in 40,000km (25,000mi), they will be shot mid summer but HD trucks are much harder on tires than a half ton. Will probably get another set or go to a Yokohama later.

I’ve heard there’s a harder compound KO2’s out in the market as well. Maybe it’s something you’d be more interested but apparently it’s not going to have the snow mountain peak rating.

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I’ve heard there’s a harder compound KO2’s out in the market as well. Maybe it’s something you’d be more interested but apparently it’s not going to have the snow mountain peak rating.

Sent from Above

That's probably what I disliked about the old ones, they were not great on ice, but pretty good in snow. Treads would never wear properly even on a new truck so I quit getting them until this new one. I have got two flats with these 10 ply BFG's but I put about 5,000km on the gravel this summer on a large construction project I had going, which is more than expected but reasonable considering the 2" crushed rock on the road.  Lugs seemed to take the abuse well and don't rip or chip up on the gravel like my last set of Toyo AT's did. 

• Like 1

My KO2s became deadly slippery at 30k miles and had to be replaced. They still had plenty of tread, but kind of pointless if they try to kill you in the wet. 
Likewise mine were and still are slippery on dry pavement not usable on wet. I get the rav about them but they are at best a 30k tire. Folks swear by them like nitto and toyo. I say

Wait for it....

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RE1 said:

My KO2s became deadly slippery at 30k miles and had to be replaced. They still had plenty of tread, but kind of pointless if they try to kill you in the wet. 

I've got about 40K on mine, down to 8/32 tread and the truck is rock solid flying through torrential rains and standing water.  Running them with too much air?

• Like 2

Same here plenty of tread but slippery in the rain.fk.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I've got about 40K on mine, down to 8/32 tread and the truck is rock solid flying through torrential rains and standing water.  Running them with too much air?

Always ran them at 40 psi cold. These were LT 275/60-20s. 

I wonder if they’ve improved the compound or changed the siping in the last couple years? To be fair, I replaced these with Goodyear Duratracs which also hit 30k and got very slippery. 

Edited by RE1
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, RE1 said:

Always ran them at 40 psi cold. These were LT 275/60-20s. 

I wonder if they’ve improved the compound or changed the siping in the last couple years? To be fair, I replaced these with Goodyear Duratracs which also hit 30k and got very slippery. 

Well, there is one with the snow rating and one without.  The one without has a harder compound and has a mileage warranty.  I don't have that one.  In addition, you have a pickup and mine is a wagon, more weight out back.  Most of their time on my truck has been at 49 psi but have since lowered it to 47 once BFG changed their recommended pressure from 50 to 42 psi for my vehicle.  They wear too fast at 42 and at 49 the center was 1/32 less than the outside tread depth after 35K miles.

• Like 2

I drove up in Colorado about 5 years ago, rear end was slipping a lot so I put bags of play sand in the rear of my truck and that solved the slipping problems. Pickups are really light in the rear and I bet the newer ones are even lighter. Doesn’t really matter how nice a tire is, tires need a bit of weight on them in order for their traction to connect well with the road especially as the rear hops

Sent from Above

• Like 2