KO2’s Continue to impress me

my last set of BFG KO,   90k miles  b4 i replaced them!....they wore like iron!....and no i am not exaggerating

granted they were more than toast when i did pull em off but still....no flats, still drove reasonably and were just great all around tire...everyone has Nitto's and i remember when that whole fad started....so am glad the BFG aren't as popular.....90k miles you can bet i will be running another set.....and yes everyone copied and chased them....

i have to say though my Michelin primacy radials that came stock on my 19 Silverado are phenomenal in the rain.....i would never expect a bigger wider offroad tire to handle rain as well as a tire designed for it....BFG has always been gold standard.....back in the day it was Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek or BFG.....

about the atturos, i have never had a set but i have had some budget tires in past and they were a friggen nightmare.....vibrations, and wouldn't balance out.....never again

like coopers and falkens too but ill just stick with whats already been phenomenal.....

and am also a fan of more sidewall....i remember when 18" rim was considered big, lol....but ill stick with my stock 18's.....

Edited by Dunn
  • Like 3

4K miles on my new KO2’s and what an enormous difference in quality going from Nitto Ridge Grapplers back to the KO2’s!

Sent from Above

Let us know when you get to 16-20k to see how the wet traction is. I’ve read a lot of reviews that say the bfgs do the same thing as the nittos in the wet once they hit half tread. Hoping they don’t because the siping looks better, but any tire will be great the first 5k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Let us know when you get to 16-20k to see how the wet traction is. I’ve read a lot of reviews that say the bfgs do the same thing as the nittos in the wet once they hit half tread. Hoping they don’t because the siping looks better, but any tire will be great the first 5k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re correct but I’ve owned two separate sets of the ridge grapplers and even they weren’t anywhere near as sticky on the road as these KO2’s are. First thing I’ve immediately noticed is when driving in wet parking lots, the Nitto tires contacting paint strips immediately spun with zero traction where as the KO2’s on the exact same paint strips actually stick to the paint. The Nittos and Toyos are nowhere near the chemical composition as BFGoodrich KO2’s or Michelin’s.

I’ll definitely give more input as mileage adds up but it’s already a big difference between the two already.

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jgraves13 said:

Let us know when you get to 16-20k to see how the wet traction is. I’ve read a lot of reviews that say the bfgs do the same thing as the nittos in the wet once they hit half tread. 

Almost 39K miles and 9/32nds of tread left all around.  Still have rock solid wet traction, dry traction, dirt traction, etc.  Still smooth and comfortable and quiet on the road too.

• Like 3

Almost 39K miles and 9/32nds of tread left all around.  Still have rock solid wet traction, dry traction, dirt traction, etc.  Still smooth and comfortable and quiet on the road too.

There are soooo many people that know nothing about how to maintain their tires. I asked Discount Tire whats the maintenance like with most people and was shocked to hear that a large majority far surpass much needed tire rotations especially on 4x4 trucks. I actually believe this as I’ve read a great deal of people on these forums claim every 5K miles or whenever they get around to it, sorta like their OCI’s as most everyone like to extend EVERYTHING when it comes to maintenance and later put blame on either the manufacturer but never on themselves.

And then there are those that either over fill or under fill their tires based on their expectations on ride quality only later prematurely wearing out their tires.

Sent from Above
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

And then there are those that either over fill or under fill their tires based on their expectations on ride quality only later prematurely wearing out their tires.

That was me in the beginning, my tires would have more life in them had I not run them so low on air in the beginning.

• Like 1

Just waded through 8 pages of KO2 reviews and discussion........Lots of fans here, so I must be one of the odd men out. I've got 58k on my KO2's, and I can not wait to get rid of them. Easily the worst tires I've owned. Wet traction has been horrible for the last 20k miles or so. It's bad enough I won't let my wife drive the truck in the rain, and I won't drive it without Auto 4wd engaged in the rain. Forget turning left across traffic without traction control and A4WD engaged. They're heavy, loud, and ride like hot garbage. The look great, and wear like steel though.

A quick check with others I know that have had the KO2's, and they all agree on the absurdly poor wet weather traction once just slightly worn. Off Road traction is a mixed bag as well. Any interaction with clay equals stuck truck, thought loose mud, gravel, and dry rock is acceptable, but not exceptional.

I'm most likely going with Continentals AT tire on the next round. I've run Continentals on every vehicle I've owned and have yet to be disappointed in them. Even a modestly rated "P" tire, including 25% derating for "heavy usage" will be higher than the axle rating of the truck. No need for me to run such a heavy, and stiff side-walled tire on a 1500 pickup.

On 3/4/2020 at 6:55 PM, swathdiver said:

That was me in the beginning, my tires would have more life in them had I not run them so low on air in the beginning.

I screwed up in the beginning as well.  I didn’t realize these need about 48psi to wear correctly.  I also put off getting an alignment for far too long.  Despite poor maintenance, these have lasted and I have good traction.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 2kwik4u said:

Just waded through 8 pages of KO2 reviews and discussion........Lots of fans here, so I must be one of the odd men out. I've got 58k on my KO2's, and I can not wait to get rid of them. Easily the worst tires I've owned. Wet traction has been horrible for the last 20k miles or so. It's bad enough I won't let my wife drive the truck in the rain, and I won't drive it without Auto 4wd engaged in the rain. Forget turning left across traffic without traction control and A4WD engaged. They're heavy, loud, and ride like hot garbage. The look great, and wear like steel though.

A quick check with others I know that have had the KO2's, and they all agree on the absurdly poor wet weather traction once just slightly worn. Off Road traction is a mixed bag as well. Any interaction with clay equals stuck truck, thought loose mud, gravel, and dry rock is acceptable, but not exceptional.

I'm most likely going with Continentals AT tire on the next round. I've run Continentals on every vehicle I've owned and have yet to be disappointed in them. Even a modestly rated "P" tire, including 25% derating for "heavy usage" will be higher than the axle rating of the truck. No need for me to run such a heavy, and stiff side-walled tire on a 1500 pickup.

if you are on the highway all the time, you will for sure get better traction on the Continental tires, but if you believe you will get better traction in any off road scenario than KO2's, I would really like to see a like for like comparison (new tires vs new tires) of Continentals vs KO2s and see who actually would get stuck and who wouldn't...the Continentals (and Michelin's for that matter) AT tires are glorified highway tires...absolutely great highway tires in comparison to any true AT tire...

• Like 2

Just now, spenpet said:

if you are on the highway all the time, you will for sure get better traction on the Continental tires, but if you believe you will get better traction in any off road scenario than KO2's, I would really like to see a like for like comparison (new tires vs new tires) of Continentals vs KO2s and see who actually would get stuck and who wouldn't...the Continentals (and Michelin's for that matter) AT tires are glorified highway tires...absolutely great highway tires in comparison to any true AT tire...

I 100% agree with that statement. The few times I've been off pavement and into mud/grass/streams/etc. The KO2's have done well. Always come out thinking "this doesn't seem that slippery", and then get out of the truck to see mud all over the side of the truck. They work off road for certain.

My usage doesn't take me far off highway very often though. It's far more the exception than the rule. 4WD was only purchased for slippery, and sometimes unimproved (gravel) boat ramps. It's a nice to have for winter, but we're on our second season without snow or ice, so that isn't really a great excuse for the 4wd.

75% of my time is on highway, unloaded. Put just over 20k miles on the truck last year. 7k of those were loaded with a boat in tow, the other 13k were commuting to/from work. I would guess less than 30 miles off road, but lots of time in the rain or on wet pavement. So for me to say that KO2's aren't a great tire......should really have been qualified better. They aren't a great tire for me.

The KO2's have terrible wet traction once worn beyond 50% IMO. So, despite the amazing look, they gotta go. I don't need to heavy sidewall, weight, load rating, or off road traction. If I was on a construction site every day, or farming and out in the fields every day, then they would most likely get a much better review from me I suspect.

• Like 1