In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

lulu88

GM 8 Speed Transmission. On the new GM 1500 Trucks

Hello Everyone. 

I had a question in regards to GM's 8 Speed Transmission. I'm looking into buy a Chevy Silverado, with the RST package. I've notice that package comes with the 8 speed transmission. However, I have look up online, as well as on here, and I've notice people having a lot of problems with that transmission. I also heard that they have done a fix with that transmission. My question is has any one bought the new body style Chevy truck with the 8 speed transmission and have  had any problems with it? Did they actually fix it? What are your thoughts? I'm also looking at other packages as well without this transmission too. 

Thanks! 

I have a 17 LTZ 4WD , 8speed transmission, with 45K miles.  No transmission issues.  

• Like 1

I have a 2019 w/ 5.3 Z71 package.  8500 mi to date and no issues with transmission. Only thing I see is there is no transmission dipstick to check the fluid.  I was advised that that is a dealer only check....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By jeffvleet26
      hey all, I have a 2015 chev Silverado 1500 with 56k on it. yesterday (5-22-2020). I was sitting in line in drive and started hearing a loud squeal. thought it was the car in front me until I shifted into park and took my foot off the break and it went away! car moved up so I shifted back into drive and moved forward and it did it again just sitting still until I put it back into park. having lots of problems trying to diagnose it. drove it again today (5-23-2020) and it did it again but not as loud. would could this be? checked the tranny fluid and it was in the normal range. any help is great as I travel for work. thanks
    • By Bthrelkeld06
      Any ideas where to run the coax cable and where to mount cb for the least amount of interior damage thank you for your suggestions
    • By silveradoman72
      Was talking to a customs shop in my area and asked what they'd recommend for a leveling kit (parts + installation) for my 2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71. They reached back out with a quote and said they would choose to install a set of Bilstein 5100 adjustable struts in the front, and that it would gain about 1.85" in the front. They quoted me $569 for everything including alignment, does that seem reasonable?

Has anybody on here gone that route with a comparable pickup? All I've seen are 2 or 2.5" leveling kits, would 1.85" be enough to eliminate the factory rake as well as be able to fit 33's one day? If anyone has and could share before and after pictures, that would be great. Thank you
    • By silveradoman72
      Hey everyone - first post here and just bought a new-to-me 2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 all stock. This is also my first truck so I'm definitely a newbie and if I'm asking some simple questions I apologize, but I couldn't find the answers I was looking for on other topics.

Basically, what I'd like to do is level my pickup. I thought about doing maybe a small lift but I don't really want to fork out the money and I think the leveled Chevy looks just fine. Any recommendations for this? Seen people put on 2 or 2 1/2" level kits - difference between my wheel well heights is pretty much exactly 2 inches.

The other thing that I'm having more difficulty making sense of is a wheel and tire combo. Currently, I've got P265/65/R18 on it. What I'd like to do is get a bit more rugged look while also getting more ground clearance for a bit of offroading, and hopefully not affecting fuel economy and ride quality too much, but I understand you gotta sacrifice somewhere. What I'm having trouble understanding is if I should get larger wheels or taller tires to achieve the ground clearance part. I've read that getting larger wheels can mess with your speedometer and such. Any advice on if I should stick with my 18's right now, and if I end up buying new wheels one day should I also stick with 18's then? 

If I went ahead and got my pickup leveled, which (or both) would help me get that better ground clearance? Increasing tires or wheels? What's the largest combo you'd recommend (with the level) that still prevents rubbing? Definitely want to get that rugged look but I haven't been able to determine which route to chase down, as the options seem limitless out there for what you can do. Could I just get bigger, more rugged, maybe wider tires to put on my stock 18's?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to give a newbie some advice.

• By Jfloyd1112
      I’m planning on upgrading my gear ratio from 3.42 to 4.10 on my 2019 custom trail boss. I want to put a 4-6 lift on my truck from BDS with fox shock coilovers With 35 inch tires maybe 37’s but before that I want to regear my truck so that I don’t lose any power. Do y’all think 4.10 gears are good enough for should I go for like 4.55’s? If anyone has re geared there 2019’s and up please let me know the prices and gear shifting experiences.