15k Service turns into an adventure

Took my 2019 HC in for the 15k service.  Simple oil change, rotate tires, no big deal.  Dropped it off in the morning and said I will pick it up in the afternoon after work.  Around 1600 I call and ask if the truck is ready.  The tech tells me that they ran into an issue in that the truck wouldn't start after they finished the service.  Thought it was the battery but found out it is the starter so they have to order a new one.  Strange but ok I guess.  3 days later I call back, (they didn't call me), and find out they put the starter in but when they did, the fuze block blew.  Ok, this is getting crazy now.  Ask how long and they say should be next day but they can put me in a loaner if I want.  Its been about a week now and so I go down and get the loaner.  3 days later, (again they haven't call me), I call and ask status of truck.  They got everything in but when they started the truck, said there was a strange noise coming out of it so they are replacing the entire engine!  What!!!  2019 brand new HC with approx 14800 miles and they are replacing the entire engine!!!  It's been about 2 weeks and still don't have a status on the truck.  What kind of madness is this?

That is unreal. The vehicle was running when it went in and now the strange things happen? Well maybe things happen, but my guess is that the techs did something that created the slew of problems.

• Like 1

My 2 Cents

Forgot to put oil back in it.

Started it to park it.

Motor damaged.

Tried to start it, ruined the starter trying to turn over a damaged motor.

Added oil and now a noise.

Then discovered lack of oil damaged the motor.

:)

• Like 19

They probably started it without oil in it. Then it seized. The oil tec put oil in it. Then he burnt the starter trying to start it. While waiting for a starter it unseized. They installed the starter the engine started but knocked from lack of oil. Baffled they ordered the engine. I figured I’d come up with an explanation cause they probably wouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow great minds.

• Like 1

Remember, you are the customer, and it is your truck.

Demand to know what happened, if they refuse, report them to GM, and tell them you will take legal action against the dealership for hiding information about YOUR truck.

If they did break it, I would want to know everything done, not sure I would trust it going forward, and don't let them pull the, "it will be OK because it is under warranty speech"!!!

Edited by JimCost2014

50 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

My 2 Cents

Forgot to put oil back in it.

Started it to park it.

Motor damaged.

Tried to start it, ruined the starter trying to turn over a damaged motor.

Added oil and now a noise.

Then discovered lack of oil damaged the motor.

:)

I would bet anything it went down almost exactly like Diyer2 was standing next to the minimum wage tech who ruined your truck because they cant even perform an oil change correctly. Your service adviser is flat out lying to you imo and if it were me i would call his rear end out on it and force your way into a new truck on their dime! Seriously do you want a dealer that can't even change the oil correctly to replace your engine, at the very least i would ship it to a competent dealer if you have one, seems to be a growing trend today that good dealers are very hard to come by.

5 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

I would bet anything it went down almost exactly like Diyer2 was standing next to the minimum wage tech who ruined your truck because they cant even perform an oil change correctly. Your service adviser is flat out lying to you imo and if it were me i would call his rear end out on it and force your way into a new truck on their dime! Seriously do you want a dealer that can't even change the oil correctly to replace your engine, at the very least i would ship it to a competent dealer if you have one, seems to be a growing trend today that good dealers are very hard to come by.

Yup, he pretty much nails it!  Like he seen it done before..LOL

Edited by mookdoc6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rocz3cqg said:

That is unreal. The vehicle was running when it went in and now the strange things happen? Well maybe things happen, but my guess is that the techs did something that created the slew of problems.

Yup it has to be that the dealer did something to damage the engine like maybe forgot to put the oil back in it? What else. I would like to see the whale of a tail the Dealer told GM how the engine blew up.

Edited by ILSilverado

1 hour ago, BigBadSierra said:

Yes they messed it up for sure.. Now they are trying to hide that fact thus no contact with you..

I agree. Wow I would not want that truck back even with a brand new motor. 

This is why I turned down the service contract At the dealer and do all my own service.

6 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Remember, you are the customer, and it is your truck.

Demand to know what happened, if they refuse, report them to GM, and tell them you will take legal action against the dealership for hiding information about YOUR truck.

If they did break it, I would want to know everything done, not sure I would trust it going forward, and don't let them pull the, "it will be OK because it is under warranty speech"!!!

He's getting a new engine!  He doesn't have to demand anything. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, mafd2 said:

Wow.... unbelievable.  Sorry to hear this! I mean wtf?  Never heard of such. Did they say what has went wrong in the engine? Wonder why the chain if events ?

Negative, haven't said anything yet.  Going to go there tomorrow morning and see if I can get the "Paul harvey".