15k Service turns into an adventure

7 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Remember, you are the customer, and it is your truck.

Demand to know what happened, if they refuse, report them to GM, and tell them you will take legal action against the dealership for hiding information about YOUR truck.

If they did break it, I would want to know everything done, not sure I would trust it going forward, and don't let them pull the, "it will be OK because it is under warranty speech"!!!

I'm going to see what I can find out and regardless, yes will be contacting GM

1 hour ago, Colossus said:

He's getting a new engine!  He doesn't have to demand anything. 

I'm with you about the new engine but with all the different things that can go wrong with the trucks now, I am concerned if I start having issues.  but I do have an extended warranty, just dont want to pay for a truck to sit in the shop

For those that provided a potential detail of events, I'm not ruling that out.  When I did get a chance to speak with the advisor, he "let slip" that it was a junior tech working on the truck.  Regardless, I just want them to be upfront and honest, stuff happens and for the most part they are a good shop, this is just a little on the twilight zone.  But seriously, even if the fuze block blew because of the new starter (rolling eyes here), why would that cause them to pay upwards of 3k for a new engine.  Other concern I have is will I be getting a one for one engine meaning I have the 6.8, will they replace with 6.8 or the lower 5.3.  Like I said, going there in the morning and will let you guys know what they say.

Thanks for the replies

2 hours ago, Colossus said:

He's getting a new engine!  He doesn't have to demand anything. 

Having had an engine replaced in my 16 incorrectly, and actually speaking from experience (shocking on this site), I would demand it, what does he have to loose at this point, they do not own his truck, he does.

If they broke it, why should he settle for whatever they feel like telling him, it did not even go there for warranty work in the first place.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, diyer2 said:

My 2 Cents

Forgot to put oil back in it.

Started it to park it.

Motor damaged.

Tried to start it, ruined the starter trying to turn over a damaged motor.

Added oil and now a noise.

Then discovered lack of oil damaged the motor.

:)

Boy what a situation.

Good Luck.

Lawyer up?

13 hours ago, harry65 said:

For those that provided a potential detail of events, I'm not ruling that out.  When I did get a chance to speak with the advisor, he "let slip" that it was a junior tech working on the truck.  Regardless, I just want them to be upfront and honest, stuff happens and for the most part they are a good shop, this is just a little on the twilight zone.  But seriously, even if the fuze block blew because of the new starter (rolling eyes here), why would that cause them to pay upwards of 3k for a new engine.  Other concern I have is will I be getting a one for one engine meaning I have the 6.8, will they replace with 6.8 or the lower 5.3.  Like I said, going there in the morning and will let you guys know what they say.

Thanks for the replies

You will have the same displacement engine that came from the factory, so if it came with a 6.2, that is what will go back in.

Only problem you might face is if they do not have any in stock, which happens at times.

Just wanted to provide an update.  Went there this morning and the engine is in, I went into the back and saw the truck up on the lift.  Plan is to have completed early next week.  Convo with the service advisor, while he couldn't or wouldn't come right out and say it, you guys are on target.  A junior tech was tasked to do the oil change, didn't fill it and seized the engine.  The starter was replaced but nothing wrong with fuze block.  BTW, advisor has been a decent guy about the whole thing, other than comms but I get it.  It is a new entire engine both top and bottom so there is that.  Will need to get another oil change after about 2500 miles since it's new and I told him that I am sure they will cover that oil change since this whole fiasco is on them.  He said he would talk to his boss.

Will let you know when I get the truck back and hopefully nothing else got messed up.  With how technicial the vehicles are today, concerned about secondary impacts.

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

You will have the same displacement engine that came from the factory, so if it came with a 6.2, that is what will go back in.

Only problem you might face is if they do not have any in stock, which happens at times.

Yep, it took a minute to get the engine buy you're right same engine.

4 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Boy what a situation.

Good Luck.

Lawyer up?

I dont think a laywer is needed.  They are taking care of it so fare so while pissed about not having the truck, people make mistakes what matters is how they handle them and it seems like they are doing the right thing