15k Service turns into an adventure

This would be a prime time to demand an extended powertrain warranty on the house (5 yr/100k minimum). The future complications/result of this action cannot yet be fully seen or realized and you should not be the aggrieved party.

You may need to get a little "aggressive" in your demand; especially when you are already hearing that they wont even comp you a 2500 mi. oil change and are already giving you "I'll have to talk to the service manager about it" routine.

Edited by NCPGMC
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Bob2C said:

What about diminished resale value knowing the service history is going to state engine replacement?

That would only be if the dealership reported it to Carfax or wherever, right? They may not report anything other than a Lube/Oil/Filter service...

That would only be if the dealership reported it to Carfax or wherever, right? They may not report anything other than a Lube/Oil/Filter service...

True as they probably won’t report it to carfax but what about their internal system? Mine had engine mounts replace. My service record reflects that but carfax just states vehicle serviced. I would push to have the generic “vehicle serviced” stated everywhere. They screwed up. It wasn’t a defect of the product.

19 minutes ago, NCPGMC said:

Any service, repair, recall or warranty has to be tagged to that vehicle's VIN and history for future GM service and warranty reference etc. If another GM dealer gets that vehicle for service in a few years, they'll know everything that was done to that truck and if any parts or engine was replaced or warrantied.

I doubt they will record that it wasn’t warranty work as the dealer messed up. so no reason to submit a warranty claim. They will submit it through there business insurance.
That’s about a 10k screw up lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I wonder how many times this has happened and not caused the engine to catastrophically fail. They would never tell you they forgot to fill the engine with new oil and started the truck,  only to find out it was empty then when checking the dip stick. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AT4 HD Ron said:

Uh, the right thing would have been being up front from the start, proactively keep you informed, etc. 

Now you are gonna take it back to them for another *free* oil change?

Nope, learned from that one

3 hours ago, Bob2C said:

What about diminished resale value knowing the service history is going to state engine replacement?

Thought about that too but I dont plan on selling the truck.  Will have to see what the final paperwork says.  

3 hours ago, NCPGMC said:

This would be a prime time to demand an extended powertrain warranty on the house (5 yr/100k minimum). The future complications/result of this action cannot yet be fully seen or realized and you should not be the aggrieved party.

You may need to get a little "aggressive" in your demand; especially when you are already hearing that they wont even comp you a 2500 mi. oil change and are already giving you "I'll have to talk to the service manager about it" routine.

I have a 7 year warranty on the truck today but yes future complications are what I'm concerned about.  I am still going to contact GM though and see where that goes.

They should be handing you a stack a mile high of free oil change coupons and car washes and anything else they have to offer just to make you happy.   

I get the whole not wanting to tell the whole story since it was extremely embarrassing and no one wants to tell someone they just blew up a 5k engine.  But if this happened to me and they balked on a free oil change after the new engine, I'd probably start posting my experience anywhere and everywhere I could think of online.