15k Service turns into an adventure

2 minutes ago, harry65 said:

Thank you sir!  Once I receive the invoice, will follow up with you guys.  BTW, just got notice of another part arriving so will be next week before I get the truck back.

You are very welcome.

Have a great weekend, and don't forget to drive the "loaner" like you stole it......

It will be pretty much plug and play everything will be on the motor already. They don’t rip it down to the block it will have water pump intake all of that. Trust me went through this with my 18 due to a screw up at a shop I had a supercharger installed. They dropped a bolt in the intake and blew the engine. I got a quote from the local dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/22/2020 at 11:50 AM, diyer2 said:

My 2 Cents

Forgot to put oil back in it.

Started it to park it.

Motor damaged.

Tried to start it, ruined the starter trying to turn over a damaged motor.

Added oil and now a noise.

Then discovered lack of oil damaged the motor.

:)

I actually seen that happened Ive been working for dealerships and bodyshops for most of my life 

I don't know why people in this business make things so dang hard.  If you're a dealer advisor or manager you have to be 100% aware that mistakes are going to happen.  How can you NOT know this?  The decision about how you handle these things should be made before they ever happen. 

It's easier to tell the truth.  It's easy to give away one measly oil change for the inconvenience without having to "talk to the boss".  It's easy to make this a learning opportunity for staff.  It's HARD to lie and cover up.  I own a shop.  I have made this phone call 3 times, twice was just the engine's time and once it was our fault.  The pain only lasts about 2 seconds.  Tell the truth, give them some free stuff and roll out the red carpet.  This is how you make customers for life.  

Edited by Leevon
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

That happens when they are run without oil. :shakehead: 

Yep, exactly as you guys predicted.  Now we will see if there are any other issues that may arise but from what I read, the did indeed replace the entire engine.

• Like 1

The tech tells me that they ran into an issue in that the truck wouldn't start after they finished the service.
First line of the repair form: "CUSTOMER STATES NO CRANK NO START CONDITION" 

Glad your truck is back but these guys seem like they lie for a living.

Yeah. I was thinking the same. They pushed it through as warranty. No money out of their pocket.

37 minutes ago, Bob2C said:

First line of the repair form: "CUSTOMER STATES NO CRANK NO START CONDITION" 

Glad your truck is back but these guys seem like they lie for a living.

Yeah. I was thinking the same. They pushed it through as warranty. No money out of their pocket.

Yep, I saw the same thing, thus my letter to GM

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 10:23 AM, harry65 said:

Of course it does, but curious in what way are they taking advantage?  They screwed up and replaced the engine, not much else I can do here that I see.  Demanding a new truck wouldn't guarantee a better truck based on the forums.  New trucks have issues as well and while this is a new engine, I havent' had any of the electrical, brake or other issues that some have had to experience.  Engine is covered under the warranty, not really seeing any other course of action at this time.  Now in the future, yes, dont' take the truck back to them but that is lesson learned

I echo your thoughts. Some here are just being unrealistic. I mean it sucks that they damaged your engine because of a stupid mistake but they are doing right by you and taking care of it. Demanding a new truck would be a bit overboard. There are some on this forum with "serious" engine problems who would love a new engine from GM. Accidents happen, whether on the road or in the shop. You could get a new truck and something disastrous could happen the second you drive it out of the dealership, like it almost did for me the day i purchased my truck. 

Looking at your recent post, looks like you finally got it back. The only potential blemish is i think a major repair like this will show up on the CARFAX which might scare off potential buyers if you were planning on selling it but i wouldn't worry too much about that. 

Enjoy the fixed truck and best of luck. Probably don't take it back to the same dealership for oil changes though. ?

15 minutes ago, truck_newbie said:

I echo your thoughts. Some here are just being unrealistic. I mean it sucks that they damaged your engine because of a stupid mistake but they are doing right by you and taking care of it. Demanding a new truck would be a bit overboard. There are some on this forum with "serious" engine problems who would love a new engine from GM. Accidents happen, whether on the road or in the shop. You could get a new truck and something disastrous could happen the second you drive it out of the dealership, like it almost did for me the day i purchased my truck. 

Looking at your recent post, looks like you finally got it back. The only potential blemish is i think a major repair like this will show up on the CARFAX which might scare off potential buyers if you were planning on selling it but i wouldn't worry too much about that. 

Enjoy the fixed truck and best of luck. Probably don't take it back to the same dealership for oil changes though. ?

Thank you sir!  I plan on keeping the truck for at least 7 years so not really concerned about resale but will check that out anyway and yes absolutely on oil changes.  Another guy mentioned Pohanka so will check them out.