6.0 Liter Rod Knock

My 2001 Silverado 1500 HD (6.0 liter) has been trustworthy for a long time.  Recently, it has begun to nickel and dime me (no surprise), but today it suddenly developed a rod knock.  It has 191,619 miles.  I have been meticulous with oil changes - Mobil 1 Synthetic every 4-5K.  Has anyone experienced this and is it worth fixing?  Does GM have a high frequency of these issues reported?  

Edited by Greg571
Misspell

No, not a high frequency.  I'd keep running it for now.  Just because we use a high quality oil doesn't mean it's going to prevent things like this from happening.  Sadly.  At that millage anything can happen.  Let's look on the bright side, so far you've gotten 191,000 miles out of it.  If the rest of the vehicle is in good shape you could keep driving it until something more happens, or if it bothers you enough you can have the engine worked over, but you're also at the millage that the tranny might go out too, so keep that in mind. 

Is it a death rattle rod knock with metal in the oil or just a piston slap/lifter/clatter that come and goes?

Lifter noise and piston slap is super common to hear. Spinning a bearing to get rod knock could happen but it's a more rare issue to have.

LS engines are like lego's, easy to rebuild with some common sense.

• 3 weeks later...