When to trade off the 2014 Sierra 1500

I have been looking at newer trucks and thinking this may be the year I sell my truck and buy a different one.

My buddy is a used car dealer and he said to make sure to sell it before I hit 150,000 miles.

I have about 117,000. 

Any thoughts on this?

I am ready for a different truck.  I have been looking at a 2019 2500 Denali Duramax.   I really like the new GMC HD too.   The price seems unreasonable on the 2020 hd.  

If you're looking to buy every 5-6 years, you may find it is more economical to trade ever 4-5 years as you will get a better dollar for your vehicles if they have factory warranty remaining, even if it is only 1 year. These trucks aren't going to make it 20 years like our OBS's and GMT8's did unless you don't drive them, even then you will be chasing computer problems and updates as they age. I like to trade my personal trucks off at 4-5 years or 100,000km (70,000 mi). I got 62% of my money back on my 2010 when I traded for my 2015. They only thing from keeping me from doing it again is the MRSP hike for next to nothing in advancements or comfort. 53k msrp in 2010, 65k in 2015 now they want 75k CAD for a 1/2 ton, it's getting a bit crazy. 

• Like 2

I’d avoid the Diesel, unless you tow heavy, it’s very rough riding and Diesels are much more expensive to repair and harder to find Diesel fuel on road trips. I had a loaded out 16 DMax and got rid of it for my 18 6.2. Enormous comfort jump and maneuverability too because 3/4 ton trucks have crappy turning radius.

If your truck is giving you problems then sure, trade it in or sell it out right but the newer trucks have much more crap on them that can and will go wrong. Personally, I’d keep what you’ve got, keep maintaining it and it’s a lot cheaper fixing your current truck then it is adding another $40k-$60k debt on your plate. If you’re getting bored of it then do something different with it, lift, new wheels and or tires etc etc but it’s either maintains what you’ve got (presumably paid off) than starting all over again with more debt.

Btw, many people on these forums have over 150k miles on their trucks and still love them with many years to come

Sent from Above

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I’d avoid the Diesel, unless you tow heavy, it’s very rough riding and Diesels are much more expensive to repair and harder to find Diesel fuel on road trips. I had a loaded out 16 DMax and got rid of it for my 18 6.2. Enormous comfort jump and maneuverability too because 3/4 ton trucks have crappy turning radius.

If your truck is giving you problems then sure, trade it in or sell it out right but the newer trucks have much more crap on them that can and will go wrong. Personally, I’d keep what you’ve got, keep maintaining it and it’s a lot cheaper fixing your current truck then it is adding another $40k-$60k debt on your plate. If you’re getting bored of it then do something different with it, lift, new wheels and or tires etc etc but it’s either maintains what you’ve got (presumably paid off) than starting all over again with more debt.

Btw, many people on these forums have over 150k miles on their trucks and still love them with many years to come

Sent from Above

The truck is paid for. 

It is funny you said that about wheels and tires.  I have been looking at a few options in the past week.

I am sure it can go to 300K no problem.  I am not saying there won't be repairs, maybe a trans rebuild or diff overhaul.  

The truck fits my needs very well since it is like a swiss army knife.  I use it to pull for my business and as a daily driver.

I paid $42,600 out the door from Laura in IL for this truck.   The new equivalent would be high 40s at best, most likely 50K.   Since I greatly dislike the newer chevy and gmc 1500 exteriors and don't care for the interiors much either.   The 2019 2500 Duramax looks pretty appealing for not much more money for a lower mile used one.  

Smart financial move, keep what I got.

Sometimes it is hard to keep your pants on...     Like I said I love that new 2020 HD GMC exterior.   But Geez $65-$70K is a lot more than $52K for a used 2018/2019.  

Thanks for the input. 

• Like 2

The truck is paid for. 

It is funny you said that about wheels and tires.  I have been looking at a few options in the past week.

I am sure it can go to 300K no problem.  I am not saying there won't be repairs, maybe a trans rebuild or diff overhaul.  

The truck fits my needs very well since it is like a swiss army knife.  I use it to pull for my business and as a daily driver.

I paid $42,600 out the door from Laura in IL for this truck.   The new equivalent would be high 40s at best, most likely 50K.   Since I greatly dislike the newer chevy and gmc 1500 exteriors and don't care for the interiors much either.   The 2019 2500 Duramax looks pretty appealing for not much more money for a lower mile used one.  

Smart financial move, keep what I got.

Sometimes it is hard to keep your pants on...     Like I said I love that new 2020 HD GMC exterior.   But Geez $65-$70K is a lot more than $52K for a used 2018/2019.  

Thanks for the input. 

That’s great, having no payments is much better and better future security. The 2500 is pretty truck but a completely different animal that’ll beat you down especially on long trips. Wheels and tires will completely rejuvenate the outside look of your truck, Katskin Leather seat cover bring alive the interior of your vehicle https://katzkin.com/.

Good luck and if I may recommend that if you’re looking to extend the life of your vehicle, please do sooner rather then later oil, Diff fluid, transfer case changes. I use only highest quality available and do sooner rather then later because I really want my truck to last.

Good luck and please do keep us posted, pics would be nice if before and after [emoji1303]

Sent from Above

Sounds like you love your truck but you have the new truck itch.

Keep your truck and do some mods, new wheels and tires. Make it look a bit different and that may resolve the itch :) 

No payment is great, put some money aside if you need to for that unexpected tranny rebuild (122k for me) and possible injectors/HP Fuel pump and a tune up, youll be good for a while.

the guy already has a crew std bed.  does a crew std bed 2500 have a much different turning radius than the same configuration in a 1500?

as for ride comfort, i run about 55 psi front, 50 psi rear in my 2500 gasser and it is perfectly comfortable on long rides.

tough call financially. if your truck has AFM, i would be more inclined to make the trade.

you can get a 2019 6.0 HD truck for dirt cheap right now, but I admit they are pretty slow.  Bulletproof, but slow and bad mpg.

the guy already has a crew std bed.  does a crew std bed 2500 have a much different turning radius than the same configuration in a 1500?

as for ride comfort, i run about 55 psi front, 50 psi rear in my 2500 gasser and it is perfectly comfortable on long rides.

tough call financially. if your truck has AFM, i would be more inclined to make the trade.

you can get a 2019 6.0 HD truck for dirt cheap right now, but I admit they are pretty slow.  Bulletproof, but slow and bad mpg.

The 3/4 ton when compared to a 1500 certainly does have a crappy turning radius and as far as comparing comfort between a 1500 to a 2500, it’s night and day difference. There was absolutely NOTHING I could’ve done to make my 2500 LTZ DMax ride anywhere near my 2014 1500 or my current 2018 1500, within just one year I went through 3 different sets of tires trying to smoothen the ride out, added in cab remote airbags (always at 5psi) and last but not least I swapped out the front and rear shocks with 5100’s just to help with the jarring feel. My wife and kids refused to ride in it unless I was towing or hauling lots of weight cause it would knock your fillings out and parking it in a grocery store parking lot was atrocious (I backed in every time) turning radius sucks in every 2500 when compared to a 1500. 1500 is much more nimble and zippier than any 2500. Only benefit of having a 3/4 ton would be hauling or towing.

OP should keep what he’s got cause receiving a bill for $2k-$5k worth of upgrades on his current truck is a lot better than getting a bill of $40k-$60k just to have a new truck.

Sent from Above

19 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

The 3/4 ton when compared to a 1500 certainly does have a crappy turning radius and as far as comparing comfort between a 1500 to a 2500, it’s night and day difference. There was absolutely NOTHING I could’ve done to make my 2500 LTZ DMax ride anywhere near my 2014 1500 or my current 2018 1500, within just one year I went through 3 different sets of tires trying to smoothen the ride out, added in cab remote airbags (always at 5psi) and last but not least I swapped out the front and rear shocks with 5100’s just to help with the jarring feel. My wife and kids refused to ride in it unless I was towing or hauling lots of weight cause it would knock your fillings out and parking it in a grocery store parking lot was atrocious (I backed in every time) turning radius sucks in every 2500 when compared to a 1500. 1500 is much more nimble and zippier than any 2500. Only benefit of having a 3/4 ton would be hauling or towing.

OP should keep what he’s got cause receiving a bill for $2k-$5k worth of upgrades on his current truck is a lot better than getting a bill of $40k-$60k just to have a new truck.

Sent from Above

Looks to me like the difference is about 3 feet - 51.5 or so for the 2500HD crew std bed, 48.5 or so for the 1500.  I wouldn't let that make the difference for me but maybe you or the OP feel differently.

As for ride comfort, some guys remind me of that story about the princess and the pea ... 

Looks to me like the difference is about 3 feet - 51.5 or so for the 2500HD crew std bed, 48.5 or so for the 1500.  I wouldn't let that make the difference for me but maybe you or the OP feel differently.

As for ride comfort, some guys remind me of that story about the princess and the pea ... 

The roads in Houston, at best are not forgiving in the least bit. But the turning radius has nothing to do with comfort, wider turning radius is a wider turning radius and sucks when you’re in tight parking lots or garage parking.

I’ve got access to a few 2500’s in my lot, never touch them unless hauling or towing. The new 2500’s are very good looking though.

Sent from Above

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

The roads in Houston, at best are not forgiving in the least bit. But the turning radius has nothing to do with comfort, wider turning radius is a wider turning radius and sucks when you’re in tight parking lots or garage parking.

I’ve got access to a few 2500’s in my lot, never touch them unless hauling or towing. The new 2500’s are very good looking though.

Sent from Above

i hear ya.  just razzing you a bit, and to your credit you took it well.  you earn your money, you damn well better spend it how you please!  

i have a gravel road and a 2500HD, i don't see an issue with ride quality but that's me.  coming from a jeep wrangler and a 72 K10k, this IFS rig is like riding on a pillow!

• Like 2