Oil life monitor

Hi all have a question regarding oil life monitor.  I have new 2500 HD Duramax and have 1200 miles on it.  Yesterday oil life monitor said 83% ,  today I get change oil warnings and it now says 10%.  What should I do?  

Did anything unusual happen?  I know, at least on past models, GM would drop the oil change to 0% if the engine got over a certain temp, there might be other conditions that would do the same thing, but I assume you would get some kind of notification of a problem.

There may be stored codes in one of the computers as well, even if the cel is off.

And I totally resisted having you ask your wife where she drove while you were asleep.

Edited by davester

I am happy to get it changed, but why does it change?  This morning it was at 83%, I drove less than 10 miles and this evening it says change oil soon and is at 7%. I thought these new oils were suppose to be better that 1200 mile ranges with no stressful driving at all.

One thing might be if the truck sat on the dealer lot for close to a year then the OLM is suppose to go down with in that time frame if the mileage isn't met.  It is a guess but I want to say I read that on here at one time.  Is it the new body style?  If so then that isn't the case.   Again, just a guess.  Otherwise like stated above a glitch since there is no other indication of any over temp. 

On 1/30/2020 at 12:44 AM, mbsfgts said:

Hi all have a question regarding oil life monitor.  I have new 2500 HD Duramax and have 1200 miles on it.  Yesterday oil life monitor said 83% ,  today I get change oil warnings and it now says 10%.  What should I do?  

How long have you owned the truck?  How long was it on the dealer's lot before you got it? 

More than likely the 1 year timer on the oil life monitor hit and that's why it dropped.  

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance you were looking at the fuel filter life at 83% - I don't recall my engine oil showing remaining life until it came on at 10% (I could be wrong here though - just seem to recall that)

22 hours ago, Stroodle said:

Any chance you were looking at the fuel filter life at 83% - I don't recall my engine oil showing remaining life until it came on at 10% (I could be wrong here though - just seem to recall that)

If you activate that information screen you can also scroll to and view the OLM screen any time. 

(all trims can show Remaining Oil Filter %)

No it was oil not filter.  Still seems weird to be 83% one day and 10% the next and then back up the follow day.  I had the oil changed( my 1st and only free one) and everything reset so we will see what happens next.

The monitor calculates the percent of oil life remaining, based on 3 pathways

The OLM starts its calculation for all pathways after the first 50 miles to account for marshalling and time before sale.  Subsequently, calculations begin immediately after each reset.

Recommendation/Instructions

Oil Life Monitor Calculation Pathways:

1.      Engine revolutions- Oil life starts with a fixed number of revolutions and will decrease with each revolution.  Cold / hot coolant temp readings have multipliers that reduce engine revolutions pathway quicker depending on how far from the normal oil temperature the vehicle is operating.

Note: If engine coolant temp gets above 260F, engine overheat condition, the oil life will go to 0%.

2.      Mileage from last reset – Starting with MY 2013, the OLM is capped at 7500 miles for all GM powertrains except the Volt.  In perfect conditions a vehicle would reach 7500 miles from the last reset and the oil life left would be 0%.

3.      Time- This pathway is a liner function, a fixed decrease in oil life for a given time after the oil life is reset.  The oil life will drop to 0% after 1 year regardless of the amount of engine revolutions or how many miles since the reset.

Note: The Volt uses a 2 year timer instead of 1 year. It also uses the engine revolution counter. It does not use the mileage pathway to count down.   

• Like 1