i can smell coolant but cant find leak.

17 Silverado 6.2L  45000 miles. when the truck is at operating temp i can smell coolant on the drivers side but cant find a leak. fluid is 1" below hot fill line. never saw any leaking fluid in the snow under it. everything I can see is clean and dry. it been like since i bought it with 39,000 miles on it.  i cant see the radiator though.  Was hoping someone would have some idea befor i take it to the dealer.  Dont know if this would be covered under drivetrain or not. 

You  could try looking up the front of the motor (you may have to remove a shield to do this) to look at the bottom of the water pump.  They generally have a weep hole there (you may not be able to see the hole directly), but if the seal in the pump fails, coolant can come out there, and evaporate from engine heat before it makes it to the ground.  It should leave some streaks from coolant residue if this is happening.

Note, this is from my experience with a 6.0L, if your water pump is done differently, this may not apply.

dealer said it was a heater hose. not covered under warranty. they want $441 to change both lines. lol.  its a  $50 line and a gallon of coolant .  easy fix for myself.   i didnt see any leak from the line and the smell was coming from the drivers side.  They did find a rear axle seal leak so they are fixing that under warranty.  wondering if i should do both lines and thermostat.  

Edited by JCunningham
  • Like 1

dealer said it was a heater hose. not covered under warranty. they want $441 to change both lines. lol.  its a  $50 line and a gallon of coolant .  easy fix for myself.   i didnt see any leak from the line and the smell was coming from the drivers side.  They did find a rear axle seal leak so they are fixing that under warranty.  wondering if i should do both lines and thermostat.  
Pull the fans back and look at the radiator. Might be leaking.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I just left the dealer for same problem.  2015 6.2, radiator  leak. They said the thermostat and housing are warranty work. The radiator and labor on it, are my responsibility.  I showed them this bulletin.  They said it simply says to correct all parts must be replaced. It doesn't say the radiator is being covered. I said, it says the thermostat causes the failure.  They agreed and said doesn't mean its covered.

Anyone have any luck getting it covered? My 2015 now has 41k Miles on it

Edited by Joew243

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2020 at 7:44 AM, tlaw91 said:

Too easy

#PI1513F GM bulletin

Your thermostat is overcycling causing a radiator leak

Needs thermostat and radiator. I love those jobs!

You’re welcome

-Friendly neighborhood GM tech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What?  Never heard of a thermostat "overcycling".    Is this a joke, or for real, please explain?  Wouldn't you see it on the gauge, if the thermostat was misbehaving?  I have had bad thermostats (stuck open, stuck closed, or wrong temperature) and leaking radiators, but not sure how the thermostat problem would damage a radiator directly.  The pressure on the radiator is determined by the pressure cap blow-off setting.

I also smell coolant on my 2015 and consistently lose about 1/2 gallon a year, yet I don't see a drop on the ground or any deposits where it would be evaporating.  Not getting into the oil.  I would be interested if there are common leakpoints on the 2015 5.3L engine.