2020 silverado 2.7 issue / 90 psi oil pressure , No heat, bad MPG

purchased a 2020 silverado LT 2.7, ran great getting 24 mpg , live in Iowa so cold mornings, started it yesterday morning both radiator fans were blasting at full speed. after pushing the start button and put in gear the ywent back to normal. This morning i started the vehcle and it did the same but this time when i tried t odrive it noticed the oil pressure at 90psi and after driving approx 10 miles no heat, the truck never got any heat and the mileage was at 14. Called the Chevy dealer and told them to come and get it. No iidea what is causing this issue. has less than 800 miles

This is a completely new from the ground up design.  As you can see in this video, there are so many different controls in/on this engine for the cooling system and oil that multiple things can happen.  At least that is how I see it.  From the electric water pump to how the system can go into max cooling. Which might be the case here where it is stuck in that mode. 

As for the oil pressure. The oil controls the cam for cylinder deactivation and has a high lift and low lift demand.  So if that system has an electrical issue it could be calling for one thing but doing another if it makes any sense.

So this little beast is so new, for me at least  I would guess it might take a year or two for things to get ironed out.  Heck, look at all the rear window leaks.  One would think GM would have had that figured out by now but here we are in 2020 and still having them. 

Hopefully it isn't anything serious and they fix it quickly.    Keep us posted.

Go too 1:53 for the animation part of the engine.

I have also researched this new engine and amazed by the engineering involved. being a mechanical engineer myself can understand how all the pcs fit together. I was skeptical about purchasing a truck with this engine but after test driving 3 different trucks with the 5.3, 4.3 and this 2.7 i was sold. Awesome throttle response, you can feel the torque almost immediately. and overall felt more powerful. I'm hoping that it's a simple electrical issue. have scoured the internet but I must be the first person to have this issue. or at least the first person to write about it.

Edited by rhoog

Dealer cotacted me, Seems that GM knows of the issue and is working on it. ECM software has an bug and puts the truck in max cooling mode. They have reprogrammed the ECM but only with the original software so this will show up again until they fix the software. Keeping my fingers crossed they find the solution soon.

• Like 1

Are you plugging in the block heater?  I've noticed that when I have had the block heater plugged in for a few hours then go to start it, the fan clutch will be engaged for a few min while driving it, then it disengages.  Was like this on my former 08 my current 08, and my former 2013 duramax. 

I bought a 2020 LT Silverado with the 2.7 also. I've had it a little over a month and had zero problems.

I was concerned with a low oil pressure reading of around 30 psi and the dealer told me it was normal. Looks funny when all the rest of the gauges are center line and the oil gauge is way to the left.

So far I like the 2.7. It seems to have plenty of power.

Good luck and hope they get you all fixed up!

Truck does not have a block heater, Gas Turbo Engine but not a bad option to look at adding since I live in the midwest. The low oil pressure at first caught me off guard but after researching more of how this new engine functions made sense. They gave me a Trail Boss to drive in place of mine until it is fixed. has 5.3 and also has 30 psi at idle. Want my truck back this one looks nice but the inside is all plastic. Truthfully I think that 2.7 would give this truck a run for it's money.  Regardless once i get it back I have lots of parts in my garage to turn it into a 2.7 Trail Boss. Will post pictures once it is finished, If I ever get it back that is.........

Still no truck, back in the shop for the second time. thay have had the truck now from January 31st thru Feb 3rd and from Feb 4th until present.  Have filed a complaint with GM, purchased this truck January 25th and at the point where i no longer want this particular truck back. The buying experience is completely ruined and the trust in this vehicle when or if they do fix it is gone. 

• 1 month later...

update. That part of the truck hads been repaired. Now it's been back 2 more times because the truck makes a moaning type noise along with nrake squeel when i leave my home in the morning. really getting tired of this BS...

• 1 year later...

RHOOG, I just bought a 2022 with the 2.7l engine and just had the same thing happen to me with max cooling mode.  Fans on and oil pressure sky rocketing.  It's at the dealer now.   Any insight you can give me on the repair that your dealership made?  I only have 100 miles on this thing.  You can email me too.   [email protected]

Thank you!

22 hours ago, Deejayhoff said:

RHOOG, I just bought a 2022 with the 2.7l engine and just had the same thing happen to me with max cooling mode.  Fans on and oil pressure sky rocketing.  It's at the dealer now.   Any insight you can give me on the repair that your dealership made?  I only have 100 miles on this thing.  You can email me too.   [email protected]

Thank you!

Do you have the new 2.7 with the higher TQ output?

After owning this truck and putting 65,000 miles on it i can say i will never purchase one with this engine in it again. MPG not that great, Sounds like a diesel in the cab. Have had other issues with it emissions PUMP. get ready to shell out another $360 to get that replaced,  Not covered under the extended warranty GM provided. Overall i like the truck but the drivetrain leaves a lot to be desired.

• 1 month later...

Was this issue ever repaired? I purchased a 2022 Silverado LTD Custom two weeks ago, I have about 600 miles on it and it started doing the same thing. I left work a few days ago and I heard loud fan under the hood, oil pressure was at 90 and no heat, and check engine light. I stopped at the dealer and was there about an hour, guy at the counter said the tech found a loose or chaffed wire going to the throttle body and repaired it but there where no codes to check. I took it home it ran fine 

next day leaving work it did the same thing, so I stopped at the dealer on the way home and didn’t turn it off so they could check the codes. I was told the tech found a code the said there is an issue with the temperature control valve and they can’t get it in until next week.