In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

kag01510

Derating to 10,000 GVWR triggers Cali emissions (code C7A)

New here and dug around but couldn't find the answer i'm looking for. 

My dealership is on the verge of ordering me a 2020 Sierra 2500HD 6.6 double cab. the GVWR auto populates to 10,550(over DOT cutoff). When trying to de-rate it to 10,000lbs with option code C7A it triggers California emissions YF5. Why is this? Will this effect me in Massachusetts? I know both California and Mass are both up there as far as emissions Nazis goes. Looking for someone with some knowledge in this area. Thanks in advance. 

Kevin

https://www.worktruckonline.com/145796/dot-mandates-may-apply-when-using-trailers

The DOT regulations come into play when your GCWR (truck + trailer) are over 10,000 lbs., so technically even a 1500 could fall under DOT if it was towing a large enough trailer.

These days often there is no difference in emission controls between California and Federal vehicles, everything is built to the California standard.  The difference is in the testing and certification. 

Edited by C/K Man
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, C/K Man said:

https://www.worktruckonline.com/145796/dot-mandates-may-apply-when-using-trailers

The DOT regulations come into play when your GCWR (truck + trailer) are over 10,000 lbs., so technically even a 1500 could fall under DOT if it was towing a large enough trailer.

These days often there is no difference in emission controls between California and Federal vehicles, everything is built to the California standard.  The difference is in the testing and certification. 

Thanks for the response! 

Massachusetts adopted federal standards last year I believe....”Engaged in intrastate commerce having a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 10,001 or more pounds”

This means the truck as it sits with a commercial plate on it, no trailer, needs a DOT number on it which I’d love to avoid if possible. 

if I had personal plates on the truck there would be no issue. 

I guess the real question is what is the difference between Federal Emissions(FE9), MA emissions(NE1), and California Emissions(YF5). 

Is there such think as Non commercial plates, that can be registered over 10000 lbs gvw? Here in MN, you can register truck to 12000 and have plates that state non commercial on them. It does state on the plate in fine print that if used in a commercial capacity that there maybe fines and may require display of DOT numbers.

19 hours ago, Mi99z71 said:

Is there such think as Non commercial plates, that can be registered over 10000 lbs gvw? Here in MN, you can register truck to 12000 and have plates that state non commercial on them. It does state on the plate in fine print that if used in a commercial capacity that there maybe fines and may require display of DOT numbers.

Yes, you can register it with normal passenger plates, and claim your using it as a personal vehicle. After my dealer did some research and i couldn't come up with an solid answer we decided its best to order it with the GVWR of 10,550lbs and either use passenger plates on it or bite the bullet and get a DOT # with the commercial plates. 

17 hours ago, kag01510 said:

Yes, you can register it with normal passenger plates, and claim your using it as a personal vehicle. After my dealer did some research and i couldn't come up with an solid answer we decided its best to order it with the GVWR of 10,550lbs and either use passenger plates on it or bite the bullet and get a DOT # with the commercial plates. 

Oregon is the same way and anything above 10,001lbs is a grey area. There is a guy down the street that has my same truck I ordered and I drive by every other day to see what plates he got. I'm hoping the dealer will be nice and let me do 10,000 for passenger plates. Crossing my fingers.