Hmmm Not Sure I Like The Verbage Pertaining to The 3.0 Diesel

1500's are Light Duty's or LD's.  Even if they have a diesel engine.  Especially the GM's, as they are rated to tow significantly less than the Ford and Ram light duty diesel trucks.  

2500-3500's are Heavy Duty's or HD's.  Even if they have a gas engine.  

:cheers:

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 2

Its exactly what they mean, a light duty diesel engine.  Just like the Colorado/Canyon 2.8 diesel is a light duty diesel engine.  Also, the light duty emissions requirements are stricter than on HD diesel pickup engines hence different oil requirements.    

You won't find either in a 2500HD/3500HD.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, ct_corey said:

0w20 in any diesel makes me nervous. 

0W-20 in ANYTHING makes me nervous.  And somewhere a lab is probably feverishly working on developing a OW-5 as we speak.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

1 hour ago, ILSilverado said:

Had my oil changed last night and purchased an extra quart for topping off. What exactly do they mean when they say light duty diesel ?? ?

From where I sit, there is no doubt the 3.0 is a light duty diesel.

How many miles before you did the change?  Seems like you just posted about getting it.

0w-20 is going to be the norm in a few years.  I'm running it in my 2002 Silverado with no issues and it calls for a 5w-30.   Grumpy is using it in his V6 that calls for 5w-30 as well. 

Just like most things from days of old, modern advancements in oil formulations are not what they were and can protect just fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

0w-20 is going to be the norm in a few years.  I'm running it in my 2002 Silverado with no issues and it calls for a 5w-30.   Grumpy is using it in his V6 that calls for 5w-30 as well. 

Just like most things from days of old, modern advancements in oil formulations are not what they were and can protect just fine.

Agreed.  0w20 protects from about -50* to 400*.  It lubricates a cold engine faster than thicker oils.  I have no concerns about it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, redwngr said:

From where I sit, there is no doubt the 3.0 is a light duty diesel.

How many miles before you did the change?  Seems like you just posted about getting it.

It only had 1300 miles on it. I always change early on a new motor. They tend to collect a lot of shavings when new.

Edited by ILSilverado
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

1500's are Light Duty's or LD's.  Even if they have a diesel engine.  Especially the GM's, as they are rated to tow significantly less than the Ford and Ram light duty diesel trucks.  

2500-3500's are Heavy Duty's or HD's.  Even if they have a gas engine.  

:cheers:

And to make things more confusing, 4500/5500/6500 are medium duty. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

0W-20 in ANYTHING makes me nervous.  And somewhere a lab is probably feverishly working on developing a OW-5 as we speak.  

What is so confusing? Modern engines are made to much closer tolerances and the thinnest oil you can get, 0W weight, is exactly what you want at Winter startup and your oil gauge lets you know running at 70 psi to force that crap through the tight clearances in the bearings. Only runs that way a short time anyway, heat up a few degrees up and it is 20 weight and running below 40 psi. In Summer months it is not zero anyway somewhere between 0 and 20 at startup.....and 20 is more than enough for sufficient lubrication when an engine is warmed.

2 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

What is so confusing? Modern engines are made to much closer tolerances and the thinnest oil you can get, 0W weight, is exactly what you want at Winter startup and your oil gauge lets you know running at 70 psi to force that crap through the tight clearances in the bearings. Only runs that way a short time anyway, heat up a few degrees up and it is 20 weight and running below 40 psi. In Summer months it is not zero anyway somewhere between 0 and 20 at startup.....and 20 is more than enough for sufficient lubrication when an engine is warmed.

Not confused at all.  Just old school.  Prefer my oils to be at least 30 weight, if not 40 or 50 weight.  And my engines to have 8 cylinders (all working all the time).  And my pistol calibers to begin with .4 and end with 5.  And my rifle calibers to begin with a .30  

If it ain't broke, some pencil-necked geek doesn't need to try to fix it.