Hmmm Not Sure I Like The Verbage Pertaining to The 3.0 Diesel

11 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Not confused at all.  Just old school.  Prefer my oils to be at least 30 weight, if not 40 or 50 weight.  And my engines to have 8 cylinders (all working all the time).  And my pistol calibers to begin with .4 and end with 5.  And my rifle calibers to begin with a .30  

If it ain't broke, some pencil-necked geek doesn't need to try to fix it.  

?? this made me lol pretty hard

On 2/6/2020 at 4:42 PM, Black02Silverado said:

0w-20 is going to be the norm in a few years.  I'm running it in my 2002 Silverado with no issues and it calls for a 5w-30.   Grumpy is using it in his V6 that calls for 5w-30 as well. 

Just like most things from days of old, modern advancements in oil formulations are not what they were and can protect just fine.

Caution! 

I also run an oil cooler temperature that gives about 195 F oil temperature in the pan. This simulates the viscosity of a  30W at 212 F. I'm 10 cSt +/- 1 unit from 195 to 220 F. 

Engineering rough rule of thumb. IF rod and main clearances are a thou per inch of journal diameter (pretty standard) then the target viscosity is 10 centistokes at the prevailing bulk oil temperature (pan) under steady state load. Usually considered to be 212 F. SAE 30 is then the engineering touch stone. IF you don't know your pan temperature at YOUR normal load then FOLLOW THE OEM RECOMENDATION FOR SAE VISCOSITY.

Rod side clearances are set at this viscosity to bleed a specific amount of oil to keep the mains cool while allowing enough oil to the rods (feed second) to maintain their hydrodynamics. If the main bleed is to high, not enough viscosity, then the rods get starved for oil. (high bearing elements on your UOA's) FYI.  

• Like 4

I also posted in another thread, but :

I find it interesting that GM recommends:

the 2.8L diesel in the canyon uses Dexos2  5W-30

the 3.0L diesel in the 1500's uses DexosD  0W-20

the 6.6L diesel in the 25/3500's uses CJ-4 or CK-4  15w-40

I'm sure it's bearing clearances and widths in combination with oil flow rates and pressures all in combination with the new chemistry / additive packages -- but it's still interesting. 

( I recall just enough of my journal bearing design courses to be dangerous...)

If we never adopt new technologies and techniques we'd still be using waxed oak blocks or one of the poured bearing block materials:)

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 3

On 2/7/2020 at 8:35 AM, MaverickZ71 said:

Not confused at all.  Just old school.  Prefer my oils to be at least 30 weight, if not 40 or 50 weight.  And my engines to have 8 cylinders (all working all the time).  And my pistol calibers to begin with .4 and end with 5.  And my rifle calibers to begin with a .30  

If it ain't broke, some pencil-necked geek doesn't need to try to fix it.  

LOL yea, those engineers who work at GM don't know ANYTHING about the engines and trucks they design and produce. 

Edited by protovack

20 hours ago, protovack said:

LOL yea, those engineers who work at GM don't know ANYTHING about the engines and trucks they design and produce. 

I didn’t say that. Some of the old timers there have participated in what once was the proud tradition of building the best mass-produced powertrains in the world. But because of the EPA and NHTSA, and the GM Board, they are required to increasingly abandon common sense more and more with each passing year.  And now, they never get all of the bugs worked out, they just move on to the next generation and name it something new. 

Attention: Lovers of high viscosity oils. 

5W30 is a base oil that conforms to the specifications for a 5W and a select high molecular weight VI improver to prevent it from thinning below the specifications for a SAE 30W at both 100C and 150 C.

That is a 0W40 and a 0W20 are the same base oils with different molecular weight VI additives. 

A 10W30 and a 10W50, same base oil.

If you actually want a 30W base oil then you need to buy an SAE 30W straight weight.