2.7T 4WD RST

Personally I don’t know why you’d want to buy the 2.7. I’m sure it’s fine to drive around town but deep down inside you’ll be wishing you would have got the 5.3. Then you’ll be wishing you would have got the RST or LT Trail Boss because “muh cup holders.”

If you absolutely need a new vehicle right now I get it, otherwise just be patient. You’ll find the right deal eventually and it’ll give you more time to save up for a down payment. Hell, find a plasma donation center where you live and donate a couple times a month to make up that extra 70-100 a month payment to get the actual truck you want. 

Edited by spizike9
  • Haha 1

I test drove both a 2.7 and a 5.3 back to back. Probably would have not been able to tell the difference if I didn't know what engine I was driving. Ended up with the 5.3 because the 2.7T is too new and didn't want to gamble on a new engine.  But on paper if your main use of the truck is driving and occasional towing the 2.7 is the better choice. Low end flat torque. You can't beat that. They have been out for a year now and the only complain I heard of is that the truck can't maintain temp on cold days going down the interstate which cause the heat to blow cold air. 

Good luck 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Moend said:

... the only complain I heard of is that the truck can't maintain temp on cold days going down the interstate which cause the heat to blow cold air. 

That's interesting to me because the only turbo I've ever owned was a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX and that thing blew hot hot air before you could hardly get it in gear.

I always thought they heated air for the cabin heater from running it by the intercooler or something. I guess this engine does not.

I bought a 2020 Silverado LT with the 2.7T. I like it. After having driven a 2014 Silverado for 6 years with a 5.3 I can honestly say the 2.7 would outrun the 5.3 easily!

I'm getting about 3 more mpg in town than I did with the 5.3. I'll know the highway mileage in a couple of weeks when we take a planned trip.

I'm old and don't pull a trailer much anymore but I think the 2.7 would be fine and is perfect for me right now.

It's been real cold here in North Texas and the heater works great.

So far it's pretty good!

38 minutes ago, Grandpa1 said:

I bought a 2020 Silverado LT with the 2.7T. I like it. After having driven a 2014 Silverado for 6 years with a 5.3 I can honestly say the 2.7 would outrun the 5.3 easily!

I'm getting about 3 more mpg in town than I did with the 5.3. I'll know the highway mileage in a couple of weeks when we take a planned trip.

I'm old and don't pull a trailer much anymore but I think the 2.7 would be fine and is perfect for me right now.

So far it's pretty good!

Outrun the 5.3 in what sense? The only thing I can see the 2.7 doing better than the 5.3 is creating torque at a lower RPM. 

Edited by spizike9

11 hours ago, spizike9 said:

Personally I don’t know why you’d want to buy the 2.7. I’m sure it’s fine to drive around town but deep down inside you’ll be wishing you would have got the 5.3. Then you’ll be wishing you would have got the RST or LT Trail Boss because “muh cup holders.”

If you absolutely need a new vehicle right now I get it, otherwise just be patient. You’ll find the right deal eventually and it’ll give you more time to save up for a down payment. Hell, find a plasma donation center where you live and donate a couple times a month to make up that extra 70-100 a month payment to get the actual truck you want. 

Probably first and foremost that pertains to many truck owners that get all huffy puffy about a V8 is he isn't concerned about his image and rather what his real uses are; and like many that don't have a need for 12k towing a 2.7 is right up their alley. Better mpg, lower costs and purchase price so they aren't going in to debt carrying a note for something that is not what they want or have an actual use for. That is a start. Quite frankly I don't know why you would want a V8 if you are just commuting to work and back every day, never towing and only hauling the occasional IKEA or Lowe's run... Besides, who said that isn't what he wants to begin with?

Donate Plasma to afford a truck, really??? ?

Tyler

• Like 3

1 minute ago, spizike9 said:

Outrun the 5.3 in what sense? The only thing I can see the 2.7 doing better than the 5.3 is creating torque at a lower RPM. 

He did come from a 2014 5.3.

Motortrend tested a 2.7 RST at 7.1 0-60 and 6.7 0-60 for a 5.3 LT Trailboss. Not exactly a huge difference and I bet the 2.7 drives better around town and is better on gas. Looking at the 2014 5.3 tested by motortrend they got 7.4 0-60 in a Sierra 5.3. So yes, the new 2.7 is faster than the previous gen 5.3 he came from...

Tyler

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spizike9 said:

0-60 I think they are very similar. Now load them up and the 5.3 has the advantage. The 5.3 just feels lethargic every time I’ve driven one. Maybe the 10 speed really wakes it up but it’s just very slow to rev while the 4 pot jumps out due to the low end turbo torque. GM needs to give the 5.3 more power , I know some guys say it’s fine but it needs more oomph 

30 minutes ago, Grandpa1 said:

So far it's pretty good!

Comparing apples to oranges my '16 was no speed demon compared to the '19.........similar horsepower ratings don't mean crap when comparing an old gen 5.3 AFM 6 speed vs. a 5.3 DFM 8 speed. Had them both and the '19 's latter combo is definitely faster.

Equipped with similar 8 speeds you don't have to be a mathematician to figure out that a 2.7T baby diesel rated at 310 hp and 355 lb ft. of torque is weaker than a 5.3 DFM with 355 hp and 383 lb ft of torque. And the $1400 in MSRP saved buying an LT with the cheaper diesel is soon pissed away and the amount saved getting an extra 3 mpg is a joke when compared to diesel costing up to 20% more than gasoline for the lifetime of the vehicle plus the cost of all that DEF that you have to stand outside and funnel into a separate fuel tank. And that's not even figuring in the loss of trade in value when time to trade in with the smaller engine.

Personally, I wouldn’t own one as imho at truck needs as much power as possible to be able to haul and pull more “BUT” for those that don’t really need all that extra power, the 2.7 will do just fine. Lots of people that buy trucks are not going to use them as hauling and towing but the occasional run to Home Depot.

The 2.7 with 310HP and 348 pounds of torque is not quite the under performing motor. While mpg’s may vary between trucks as my 6.2 though lifted with 33” tires gets highway 23 mpg at 65mph. The 2.7 turbo Silverado, depending on its configuration is estimated at 20/23 (yeah right) but I’m sure that all depends on ones driving characteristics. The only thing I’d be concerned about would be the newness of this motor and being smaller, much lighter 380 lbs lighter than the 4.6 and more efficient than the 4.6 motor it’s replacing, I’d still be concerned of it’s longevity/reliability [emoji848].

Aside of the above I’ve mentioned, I’d recommend taking one out for a test drive and compare ride and performance to at the least a 5.3. Pay attention to the torque rpm and see if you’re getting a loss of power when compared to the 5.3. The 6.2 will always be my first choice as there’s an enormous difference in power but not required by most so with that said, research, test drive and take your time but know one thing, in the future, there’s a VERY high chance there’s not going to be anything you can do to improve the performance.

Sent from Above

Lots of remarks on my post.

I like my 2.7 and yes it would outrun my 2014 Silverado 5.3. From a red light takeoff to just passing another vehicle there is quite a bit of difference in response.

The extra 3 mpg means I can still go 60 miles when I put 20 gallons in it compared to my old 5.3. That's not a drop in the bucket.

As far as trade in, I am blessed not to have to worry about that. I will probably give it to one of my grandsons. They would love to have it.

I like my truck. Thank you very much!

Life if simple and there are a lot of choices, if you don't want a truck like mine don't buy one. Simple.

Good luck!

• Like 3