Cold weather dashboard crackle, crunchy sound

On cold mornings, who on here has a fairly noisy crackling/crunchy/popping kind of noise from the long piece of dash that runs right in front of the windshield when you drive over road bumps or road imperfections?   Mine seems to be doing it more often this winter and much louder than I've ever heard it before.  Seems to happen at any temperature below about 50 or so.  I can press on this piece right around where the red light sticks up from the top of the dash and it will replicate the crunching sound.

I understand its the plastic contracting in the cold weather, but has anyone taken that piece off and added tape or felt or anything to try and stop it , and if so, did it work?

Edited by Bob Miller

Hi Bob, these are the quietest interiors GM has ever made for a pick up so once used to that, any rattle becomes irritating. I have not heard of that issue, but if you can physically push it down to make contact again and the noise starts/stops, it is worth pulling that panel and adding a piece of foam or tape in there to help quiet it down. No other solution than to find the source of the noise and stop it. A good weekend project for you.  

I have lots of older work trucks and past trucks that have folded up pieces of paper jammed behind every panel to stop rattles, but no one wants to do that with a new truck.