Poll: Does your truck have the rear window leak?

DuRsT

Does your truck have the Rear Window Leak? - Please Participate! Only voting please!  

707 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...

2020 Custom fixed rear window leak. Made in Fort Wayne. 

Also all 4 doors leak as well, said something to the service dept last summer when getting oil changed. He said they didn't have time to look at it. Ask if he had heard about it before,  he said no, same thing he said about rear glass.

2020 Crew built in Silao, 9/20....    2,135 miles as of today.

I have drips on both the left and right inside of the window. There's a rail at the top that ends about 2" before each side and it appears it's coming down from there.

Not sure if I should try to warranty or seal it myself.

2020 GMC sierra.  22000 miles,  has rear sliding window and it leaks.  My dealer has tried to fix it once and failed, matter of fact, I think it got worse once they touched it.  Not sure what I am going to do.

2 hours ago, x31 said:

2020 GMC sierra.  22000 miles,  has rear sliding window and it leaks.  My dealer has tried to fix it once and failed, matter of fact, I think it got worse once they touched it.  Not sure what I am going to do.

Do this:

If/when mine leaks, I’m going to find someone that has their repair stuff together, a real professional, and have them do this repair.  Frankly, I don’t even think I’ll mess with the dealer.  Looking at that post and how shoddy the original build was (missing washers, etc.), I don’t think I want the dealer to even try their half hearted work they call a service bulletin.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

The rear sliding glass window of my 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 developed a leak in January of 2021. It caused water to saturate the carpet under the rear seats and allowed water to enter the rear seatback storage compartments. TSB 18-NA-383 states the cause is from cracks developing in the rear sliding window plastic upper rail glass guide and the solution instructs dealers to put seam sealant over the cracks. Skip forward a year later and 3,000 miles out of factory warranty. The sealant failed and the window was leaking again. GM initially refused to pay anything and the dealer wanted $1,382.70 because they stated I needed a full rear window replacement. Extended warranty wouldn't cover it because it was not a mechanical breakdown. After a many calls to GM customer assistance, they agreed to cover 70% leaving me to still pay $414. This window leak is not isolated to just a few. I had a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 in which the rear window leaked before I traded. A friend of mine has a 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 and his window is leaking.

GM will try to put a bandage on the window cracks in the form of sealant instead of actually replacing the defective window. Many of the people in the forums report that the sealant does not last as was the case with mine. If you are unlucky enough to fall outside of warranty when the sealant fails, GM will not cover anything without a fight.

I guess I’m going to have to read my extended warranty.  I find it hard to believe they can justify not repairing the window under the extended warranty.  Of course I’m a dumb ass for believing what the salesman told me, but I have a GM extended warranty that is supposed to extend the bumper to bumper warranty.  I can’t believe they can argue that the window is a wear part like brakes.  Just not sure on this.  Will see if I can get this clarified while still under the original warranty.  Thanks for the heads up.

I never ever buy an extended warranty. There is always a loophole. Seems I remember the salesman gets 35% for selling it. Bought a TV 20 years ago at H H Gregg, salesman basically called me a dumbest for not buying the EW. Next day took the TV back because I didn't want him getting a commission. Glad they are out of business. When I bought my Silverado I told the salesman if I hear the words EW I'll get up and leave. It already comes with a 5 year 60k power train warranty. 

On 3/18/2022 at 11:25 AM, bowtie2007 said:

The rear sliding glass window of my 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 developed a leak in January of 2021. It caused water to saturate the carpet under the rear seats and allowed water to enter the rear seatback storage compartments. TSB 18-NA-383 states the cause is from cracks developing in the rear sliding window plastic upper rail glass guide and the solution instructs dealers to put seam sealant over the cracks. Skip forward a year later and 3,000 miles out of factory warranty. The sealant failed and the window was leaking again. GM initially refused to pay anything and the dealer wanted $1,382.70 because they stated I needed a full rear window replacement. Extended warranty wouldn't cover it because it was not a mechanical breakdown. After a many calls to GM customer assistance, they agreed to cover 70% leaving me to still pay $414. This window leak is not isolated to just a few. I had a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 in which the rear window leaked before I traded. A friend of mine has a 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 and his window is leaking.

GM will try to put a bandage on the window cracks in the form of sealant instead of actually replacing the defective window. Many of the people in the forums report that the sealant does not last as was the case with mine. If you are unlucky enough to fall outside of warranty when the sealant fails, GM will not cover anything without a fight.

My 2020 Sierra with 12,000 started leaking in January 2022.  It would only drip down the driver side sliding glass window, in the meantime I placed a towel to catch any drippings.  Called my dealer and they set me up with an appointment for a week later.  Brought the truck in and they tested for leaks and verified the exact location of the leaks/drips that I told them. I inquired if they had completed this repair previously and they responded that they have done this repair in the past.

They then proceeded to schedule another appointment because parts would need to be ordered to complete the repair.

Was also told that the repair would most likely take all day and they may have to keep the vehicle overnight.  

Arrived at the dealer and they informed that this repair would take 5 hours, they would be taking the rear seats out and replacing the rug(concerned with mold).  I was able to see the repair taking place from the waiting area - seats out, headliner down, rear spoiler off, rug replaced.  As stated they sealed the top the rear sliding window plastic upper rail glass guide.  They put the truck back together and the repair was done rather well from what I could see.  No problems with scratches, bent headliner, or issues with the sliding glass window.  There was some sealant on the window but that was easily wiped off.  Truck has been through many rain storms and is not leaking at this point.  Will update in the future if sealant fails....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

2020 Silverado LT has been in the shop since Tuesday for the second attempt at fixing the leak. Truck now has 35,000 miles on it.

Of course no loaners are available so I am driving my 1995 Nissan Hardbody. 27 years old with 130,000 miles on it and the slider doesn't leak on it......

Edited by Enough
spelling

• 2 months later...

Whelp, add me to the list. First rain in a long time over here in the Seattle area and what do you know, the rear slider has a small leak onto the lip behind the seat. Appears to be a small leak, didn’t soak the cushion, but I can feel that it seems to be seeping from the slider track on the passenger side. Truck is a 2020 with 32k. Dealer set me up for next Friday and promised to get it taken care of. 

Wanted to update after some further investigation: while there is a streak down the passenger side of the rear window, suggesting it is coming from the top, there is also a crack right above the slider portion. It looks like it goes all the way through. Interestingly, there is no water coming from that spot. I hope the cracked frame is enough for the dealer to replace the window rather than attempt to use sealant. 

Update to the update: Dealer now taking truck in Wednesday. Because of the crack in the frame, they will not be attempting the standard repair, rather going straight for a replacement. I sure hope there is a newer model window that solves this problem!

Ok, repair update: Truck is back, was less than a 1 day turn around. They even had a loaner Sierra for me! The advisor said they keep a couple window units around for this repair and have been doing them every so often. Glass install looks good. Hope it solves my problem!

Edited by Traction