Apple CarPlay Display

Hello,

I am coming from a 2016 GMC 3500 Denali with CarPlay and one of the most annoying things was that the outside temperature was not displayed anywhere while you were on CarPlay.  My 2020 is on order, but was just curious if the outdoor temp is displayed anywhere that it can be seen while CarPlay is active?

Thanks in advance.

I wish it was there too, doubt it will ever happen. GM can access the temp as its on the vehicle network, not sure CarPlay can get data off the network, or more likely they dont want to deal with the vehicle network across multiple vehicles / brands, etc... 

Putting the outside temp in the little screen in the dash would be great, GM could do that I believe.

• Like 1

I wouldn't expect GM to do it, as they'd have to carve out a spot on the screen for it, or do a customization with Apple to put it in a good spot, or send it so the iPhone and then the iPhone puts it wherever on-screen.  Apple might go for the last option, if it can be shared with other manufacturers, but most likely, if it ever happens, Apple will just display the temp from some weather service based on your location.

16 hours ago, cdnSpinalTap said:

Yes, understood, that can be done.  The original question was asking if you could see the outside temp while CarPlay is active, which appears not to be possible.

To be fair though, this would be an Apple fix, or possibly better collaboration with GM. But Apple, having worked for them for 10 years myself, is not known to want to do anything special in one place over another, which would mean working with all the automakers and getting this info from the various sensor systems. The info is on the CanBus, but how they would tie into that is the real question. 

4 hours ago, Wbrisett said:

To be fair though, this would be an Apple fix, or possibly better collaboration with GM. But Apple, having worked for them for 10 years myself, is not known to want to do anything special in one place over another, which would mean working with all the automakers and getting this info from the various sensor systems. The info is on the CanBus, but how they would tie into that is the real question. 

Agreed, although I think, even without CarPlay, it would be a nice addition to the HUD or the gauge cluster.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:15 AM, Black02Silverado said:

I like where it is on my 2002 Silverado. Right in the upper corner of the rear view mirror.

I'm going to guess that since that mirror is high-tech in the truck now (or at least on higher trim models), they didn't want to use that space anymore.