So, about those Electric cars....

SnakeEyeSS

Sure everyone has heard by now that England is going off the deep end and they will not allow petroleum fueled cars to be sold anymore in not too long. I expect many other countries to follow suit, and we may just be a few elections from it happening here on the US, either way GM has said they are heading that way as soon as possible. 

Seeing as how some companies are having battery supply issues, I don't know how fast that will actually go(not to mention the materials are probably more finite than oil is, at least until we start mining off of Earth).

So,

How long will YOU resist? 

If they can get the charging networks up and running, and get the recharging speeds way up,  I'm fine as long as they are fun to drive. 

The rest of my life.

I grew up siphoning gas from cars, trucks, mine or maybe once in a while someone else's, to fuel lawn mowers, yard tractors, anything that needed fuel.

Guess you could say that it flows through me, never did acquire a taste for it though, but it was the key factor in the "freedom" that you gained when you turned 16 and had your first drivers license, it truly changed your life.

That is being lost on todays generation, and the sad part is today's muscle cars are so cool, never been anything like them before, just amazing cars, but they would rather have a silent car drive them somewhere so they can stare at their phone on the way.

Burn my casket with 102 octane racing fuel, so I can really go out in a blaze of glory!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

but they would rather have a silent car drive them somewhere so they can stare at their phone on the way.

:shakehead:

Sad but true.

Some day their MORTALITY will tap them on the shoulder. Will they regret having lived a 'VIRTUAL' life?

LOL, They may no even notice.

Unfortunately this is the path the world is taking. Not my cup of tea it’s sad but older generations will be lost. I have and always will be old school when you look at these new generations I shake my head. Granted not every single one not saying that but obviously enough to make a diff right? In the middle of building a 350 mercruiser engine trying to get the kid involved is like near impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Jaychevy81 said:

Unfortunately this is the path the world is taking. Not my cup of tea it’s sad but older generations will be lost. I have and always will be old school when you look at these new generations I shake my head. Granted not every single one not saying that but obviously enough to make a diff right? In the middle of building a 350 mercruiser engine trying to get the kid involved is like near impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As of 2018 only 2% of all sales were EV. 

First couple to be seen in bed on broadcast TV was Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

Soft ingress to see how the pubic would receive it.

What we have on TV today was way past Penthouse material then.

Whatever the next thing is currently....Internet will be the transport. 

Propaganda

Internet. Lord how many times can Betty White die?

:crackup:

It won't gain traction until it  can MAKE MONEY and currently and for the foreseeable future...it doesn't. 

• Like 2

To be honest, petroleum will remain dominant for the next century. Electric may work in the cities for commuters, but it doesn't work for rural areas. Autonomous electric trucks will not be able to work in vocational settings. They might replace your Prius, or the Uber guy, but it wont be the big player in commercial industry until we are long dead. EV's sound great, until you learn about their range in -30c and how towing effects that. I have no desire to spend an hour in each town on my trip charging up my car/truck at a 'charging station'. I would be more obligated to strap a Honda generator to the roof rack, plug it in and keep driving. One station here installed 6 Tesla chargers in September, guess how many Teslas have sat there charging? A fat Zero. That and the fact that these things are just lighting on fire like crazy. In an accident the lithium battery splits and lights a chemical fire so intense the FD can barely deal with it. What else happens in a crash, your doors often crumple and you cant get out. Image result for tesla charging in water

• Like 3

1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

EV's sound great, until you learn about their range in -30c 

:crackup:

That is mentioned in the video. 

That and that an 80,000 pound Semi would need a 20,000 battery for equivalent ranging.

There's a profit sucker.

• Like 3

1. GM, Volvo, a few others have pledged to really go mainstream for EVs.  But if GM is really committed to having a huge EV impact, i'd love to see them come out on top with R&D, over engineering, and having the best reliability and backing their products with 100,000 mile warranties.  They have the opportunity to turn around their brands that are tarnished because of shitty reliability and customer care and really come out on top if they do this right.  They have proven they can build a great EV vehicle.. such as the Volt.  it received mostly high praise but there were still a lot of pissed off people at GM that decided to go elsewhere to buy their ev vehicles. 

The EV is the same as gun control IMO.

You either drink the Kool Aide or you don't.

City commuters with short commutes I get it.

Plus the number of these commuters is big.

:)

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 12:03 AM, JimCost2014 said:

...but it was the key factor in the "freedom" that you gained when you turned 16 and had your first drivers license, it truly changed your life.

That is being lost on todays generation, and the sad part is today's muscle cars are so cool, never been anything like them before, just amazing cars, but they would rather have a silent car drive them somewhere so they can stare at their phone on the way.

Man, when we were kids, those car keys meant, FREEDOM!!!  We all endeavored to earn our license and work to pay for our cars, gas, tires and oil!  

So many of these youngsters have the big city mentality, they despise the cars they hire to drive them to work and home and to their next hook up.  I think in reality, they are too lazy to work enough to earn a car and take care of it, justifying Uber because of propaganda showing that it costs such and such to own and operate a vehicle.  They all live at home or share a house with 10 or more people, in short they are degenerating themselves away from the society and high standard of living that each generation built upon the next.

Thank God, my children, all girls, love cars and can turn wrenches if needs be.  

• Like 1